The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Well Bo is different because Bo is an all around beast whereas Brock is not a beast but a scorer who is paid 6 mil just to shoot the puck into the net. Brock should be a consistent 25 goal scorer In this league but our expectations of him was sky high based on how he came into the league scoring so many goals. Based on that, we are now left feeling what the heck. 

He's on pace for 28 goals and nearly a point per game 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

He's on pace for 28 goals and nearly a point per game 

I think what he meant is that some fans have (had) unrealistic expectations of him to be a 40 goal scorer sooner rather than later (this season) and are now disappointed with his stats. A perennial 25-30 goal scorer is just fine with me and matches his current pay grade, fans should be happy with the age of the team and where we are at in my opinion.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, drummerboy said:

While I respect the sentiment, when he signed that big money contract, the age excuse and giving breaks kinda stop. 
That’s big boy money and it time to put on the big boy pants and get to work.  

Having said that, I don’t think it is really a mental issue with Brock. 
He has taken a bit of a beating with all his injuries so far, and probably isn’t playing at 100%.  

I agree with you more than the "he has had a hard life" narrative.

Lots of us had our parents die on us at a young age but didn't let that make us perform poorly in life. You just have to go on.  I think it is a made up narrative by people that have never experienced any real tragedy. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gassy Jack said:

Screenshot_20191213-104146_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f889950f80400e777ab7a035c42ef80c.jpg

Love Eddie Lack’s humour. I still believe out of the teams he had been on in his brief NHL career, Vancouver is the one he enjoys the most. Wish him the best wherever he is in life!

Also, LOL at Cheech! Let in 9 goals and still got the win!

• Cheers 1

Anderson last game, Markstrom this game.

Still they got lucky though.

Badly outplayed 5 on 5

A good Cane's goal called back

This was not a defensive game, just one the goalie slammed the door shut.

So, does the team trade Markstrom, he will want a big raise and clauses, or Demko, who still has big value?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Anderson last game, Markstrom this game.

Still they got lucky though.

Badly outplayed 5 on 5

A good Cane's goal called back

This was not a defensive game, just one the goalie slammed the door shut.

So, does the team trade Markstrom, he will want a big raise and clauses, or Demko, who still has big value?

Teams rely mostly on the scoring of their stars, and their goaltending.  Like you said, Anderson was the difference in the Leafs game and Marky was the difference in the Canes game.  I think Marky is proving to be a goalie that is a difference maker, so we keep him.  I’d trade Demko at the 2020 draft

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i hope someday, the canucks can play carolina kind of hockey. i guess we need different kinds of players. the boys were trying, they were just outplayed by a better team. 

Look at the Disney antics they have to endure after Home W's, Joe..Poor kids are treated like circus monkeys. They're well-drafted youth, who HAVE to go thru the 8,9 yr contract-rigamarole. Rest assured that 80-90% of the league's young stars yearn to reside in a town as lovely as Van(insiders tell me!:^)

Over the long haul, true stars will  gravitate to our character team/hockey town, & the top-end, team cycle will be sustainable this time(due to JB's June work)

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Look at the Disney antics they have to endure after Home W's, Joe..Poor kids are treated like circus monkeys. They're well-drafted youth, who HAVE to go thru the 8,9 yr contract-rigamarole. Rest assured that 80-90% of the league's young stars yearn to reside in a town as lovely as Van(insiders tell me!:^)

Over the long haul, true stars will  gravitate to our character team/hockey town, & the top-end, team cycle will be sustainable this time(due to JB's June work)

Ufas want money most of the time.  Maybe a few guys take a hometown discount or contenders discount but 95% of Ufas rather an extra million a year for a few years in a USA city then rainy Vancouver. 

Vancouver is imo a great city but doesn't really attract hockey players when it's raining most of the seasons. I guess depends when the players visit and know about Vancouver. Housing to is more expensive here. A 2m home In North van is like what 750k in Dallas. There's that aspect of it to. Also which city is more off ice business friendly.  

12 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Cue "sell high for pickz and TANK!"

No way, sign him to a 8 year 10 mil contract and front load it with huge signing bonuses each year like Eriksson's and he won't need to have clause because the contract will be untradable.

C'mon, get real, the tank talk comes in February when the team is 6 to 8 points out of a wild card spot and competing with 5 teams for the last spot.

What to you give Marky on his next contract anyway?

18 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Ufas want money most of the time.  Maybe a few guys take a hometown discount or contenders discount but 95% of Ufas rather an extra million a year for a few years in a USA city then rainy Vancouver. 

Vancouver is imo a great city but doesn't really attract hockey players when it's raining most of the seasons. I guess depends when the players visit and know about Vancouver. Housing to is more expensive here. A 2m home In North van is like what 750k in Dallas. There's that aspect of it to. Also which city is more off ice business friendly.  

It is a lot of things.  I dont suppose Juice was complaining about moving to California? Lou to Florida?

But would you really want to live in Minneapolis over Vancouver? 

Players seem to like St Louis, Columbus. But I dont see what the attraction is?  I've been there...

Players come to Canada when you are winning.  But it has to be thought of, that no Canadian team has won, in what, 30 years?  

IMO the single biggest factor is the fishbowl! It affects players when they live here.  Some thrive on it. The impact on personal life. Most would prefer it not be a factor. I also believe it is the more intense pressure & scrutiny the GM's are under. They will get strung up if you dont overpay someone. Particularly RFA's. Its more about the impact on hockey decisions.

Jim overpaid to keep players when he arrived. Now he is starting to show some judgement? The contracts are not so heavily tipped in the players favour. It gives us a fighting chance.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Markstrom and Tanev. It will be quite the coup if we can retain both on favourable deals.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, milk and honey said:

In my opinion, players that had been willing to take, "hometown discounts" will either do it through term rather than actual value and the one's that are willing to take less than market value will ussually, have a way to compensate through other means: endorsement (still rare).  I do agree, that most of the time players and agents will always go for atleast market value with term.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What Hollyweird has done to the hoi polloi? Wouldn't wanna be famous nowadays...

Why not?

If you were a famous actor you could snort coke, and participate in debauchery of all types. If you got lucky your sexual assaults would not come to light.

And then you could stand in front of microphones telling the normal people they are screwing up the world with pollution while you spend your millions on super cars and such.

• Thanks 1