The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

The slow starts are still very very concerning. Too much off ice antics or what the hell is going on? That was some of the sloppiest 30 minutes to start I've seen this year. They even looked slow like they just got out of bed. The last 30 minutes was totally a different Canucks team. Something needs to change. Maybe a team meeting or something. This group has the pieces to make a run, and we have more pieces arriving in the new year. I believe we are deep enough to make it and go far, but we are just sort of sputtering along at the moment.

If they can't fix this team's chronic problem of starting the game half awake, the pieces won't matter as much.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

wrong,need a killer defenceman and a big tough forward with decent hands. Too soft all around.

I think we need a dynamic scorer and solid PWF in top 6 and another Hughes-level D.

Pod could be a mix of dynamic tough scorer but we'd need another guy after that unless we convert Gaud to wing. Hopefully Rathbone/Juolevi/Rafferty can step up down the line but that's a big ask.

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“I don't think we were very good with the puck to start the game... Quite simply, we weren't very good. We got better as the game went along. I think our whole team is upset we lost the game. We showed how well we could play in the last 2 periods. Right now it hurts that you lost. Pissed off that we lost, I think our whole group is. Didn't think we had a great first period, had a really good last two periods. Gotta find a way to get another goal.” - Green

Exactly Green. We lost the game because of another bad start. You played a huge part in this one by screwing up the lines for the first period so that everyone looked lost.  When the lines went back to normal the team started to be ok.

Jeez. It's like Green doesn't see what every fan sees. Let's be specific.  The repeated poor starts are about coaching.  The inexplicable line juggling is about coaching. The we need to be better post game interview is about coaching. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course they should be held accountable, but you can’t swap out all of your players. You can swap out your coach if you believe he’s not reaching the players anymore.

I don’t think we’re at that point yet, but it’s something to be considered if this team can’t get back to playing solid hockey.

Green is probably doing his best but sometimes a new voice or energy is needed or maybe not yet but some tweeking is needed..

Come to think of it, some heads will have to roll if we don't make playoffs this season.

No management team sits still when the team fails to advance to postseason 5 years in a row. Somebody has to be sacrificed, whether it's right or not.

Edited by 1-d
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Rafferty has looked excellent in his first pro season (the first half of it, no less), Woo is in the pipeline, Tryamkin is back in two months, and Rathbone may be the best out of all of them.  There's no desperation.

How d'ya know Tryamkin is back in two months, source?

12 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly Green. We lost the game because of another bad start. You played a huge part in this one by screwing up the lines for the first period so that everyone looked lost.  When the lines went back to normal the team started to be ok.

Jeez. It's like Green doesn't see what every fan sees. Let's be specific.  The repeated poor starts are about coaching.  The inexplicable line juggling is about coaching. The we need to be better post game interview is about coaching. 

He seems to be trying but right now it seems like everything he does just backfires or just doesnt work out as planned ?  A small win streak before Christmas will keep the playoff dream alive - Hopefully !santa pain GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Come to think of it, some heads will have to roll if we don't make playoffs this season.

No management team sits still when the team fails to advance to postseason 5 years in a row. Somebody has to be sacrificed, whether it's right or not.

Green will be gone.

Playoffs or bust.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think we need a dynamic scorer and solid PWF in top 6 and another Hughes-level D.

Pod could be a mix of dynamic tough scorer but we'd need another guy after that unless we convert Gaud to wing. Hopefully Rathbone/Juolevi/Rafferty can step up down the line but that's a big ask.

Out of who is in the system, I have my eye on Rathbone and Madden as first in line to fill those roles. We might see them both in the spring? We are probably going to get a look at Rafferty as well.

3 minutes ago, 1-d said:

No management team sits still when the team fails to advance to postseason 5 years in a row. Somebody has to be sacrificed.

Exactly. And here is the point.  Has Green showed you enough that we should wait until the end of this season before firing him? Has he earned that?  In my opinion he has not.  In my opinion we will squander a playoff year if we wait until he blows enough games that we miss the playoffs this year.

I think he has shown  that he is not the guy to take this team to the next level.  We have some real talent now and they need to be molded into a winning team. Squandering this year and missing another chance for the young guys to get playoff experience is not acceptable nor justified by Green's performance to date.

• Upvote 1

Just now, gizmo2337 said:

Out of who is in the system, I have my eye on Rathbone and Madden as first in line to fill those roles. We might see them both in the spring? We are probably going to get a look at Rafferty as well.

If we sustain a bunch of injuries for sure.

Madden more likely than anybody.