The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am not letting the coaching excuse the players play on the ice.

I am gonna hold them accountable as well.

No one should be happy with both because of the slow starts.

Of course they should be held accountable, but you can’t swap out all of your players. You can swap out your coach if you believe he’s not reaching the players anymore.

I don’t think we’re at that point yet, but it’s something to be considered if this team can’t get back to playing solid hockey.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

A big part of the problem is that the d, QH aside, are a zero threat to generate anything from the blue line.  They kill the play let alone generate anything. They have hung all of their hopes on a phenom d man .. it’s worse now that edler is out. I’m worried they are going to exhaust the kid or make him more prone to injury. 

where are they going to get another point generating top 4 d man.  Not of qh calibre.. just a steady 30-40 point guy. 

I agree, but they don't grow on trees. A cynic would tell you that Olli Juolevi was supposed to be that guy.

• Cheers 1

“I don't think we were very good with the puck to start the game... Quite simply, we weren't very good. We got better as the game went along. I think our whole team is upset we lost the game. We showed how well we could play in the last 2 periods. Right now it hurts that you lost. Pissed off that we lost, I think our whole group is. Didn't think we had a great first period, had a really good last two periods. Gotta find a way to get another goal.” - Green

The slow starts are still very very concerning. Too much off ice antics or what the hell is going on? That was some of the sloppiest 30 minutes to start I've seen this year. They even looked slow like they just got out of bed. The last 30 minutes was totally a different Canucks team. Something needs to change. Maybe a team meeting or something. This group has the pieces to make a run, and we have more pieces arriving in the new year. I believe we are deep enough to make it and go far, but we are just sort of sputtering along at the moment.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

No. It's the coaching. We have 5 guys in the top 60 scoring in the league. Plus a rookie of the year candidate. Plus depth and good goaltending.

It is Green who is the problem.  When do you ever say hey, that game was well coached.  Green won us the game with some smart decisions. Right.  Virtually never.

Maybe you don't think coaching matters. I do.

Did you read anything I said? Even stated to another guy that a coaching change might even show the players that they are at fault. I am blaming the coaching but I am not letting the players get away with their play. They're responsible too.

We have all that yet we are started 3/4 of our games awfully. Everyone needs to be better. No one is blameless

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Of course they should be held accountable, but you can’t swap out all of your players. You can swap out your coach if you believe he’s not reaching the players anymore.

I don’t think we’re at that point yet, but it’s something to be considered if this team can’t get back to playing solid hockey.

I know. A coaching change is a way to show that the players messed up too and are accountable. I stated that to another person here earlier.

Too many slow starts and haven't been able to string together a good amount of success since October.

This is an unsuccessful trend so yeah we should consider changes.

20 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Hughes with 27:00 TOI.  Next-closest D was Myers with 22:43, and no others hit 20.

Is Quinn Hughes becoming our #1 dman before the half-way point of his rookie season?

They're going to burn him out 2/3'ds of the way into the season if they keep that up. 

14 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Quinn Hughes has all the makings of a star defenceman in the NHL. If he's this good now, imagine where he will be by his mid twenties. I didn't think I would see a better Canuck rookie than Petey was last year, but when you consider the defensive responsibilities, ice time and impact, Hughes may be the most dynamic rookie the team has ever had (yes including Bure)

He reminds me of Scott Niedermayer, so smooth with his skating and passing.

image.png.477a620d7991fae9c720886fdfe3d6d3.png