The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have 5 regulation wins in our last 23 games. Just a slump or something more?

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

This team frustrates so much.  It makes it hard to watch as a fan. I have been on-board for forty years and a slump like this is hard to take.  If we had played .500 hockey over that time, we would be in a good spot  But the separation is happening now.

It is not like the 1980s when 65 points would get you in.  And it is not like the late 2000s where we played the pitiful Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, and Colorados seven times a year and raked in most of the points.  The division and the parity is not in our favor anymore.

It is tough sledding, and an intervention is desperately needed.

go look at my posts in the past but moderators said it had no meaning or substance..i tried saying loud and clear ....team needs more grits to their game...you have the good players just need to be able to dictate the play and win the zones that need to be yours...i cant remember what i pointed out cause ive been belly aching about my favourite team now for years..brock love the guy but he needs to change his game a bit..petey is also a great player but needs to change his game....rookie year sure was loose cause guys gave him the room but he still not playing like he has in the past..bo horvat  seems upset about something...edler  is a stud on the team and is missed...too many good effort payers need more drive the net style guys...i see virtanen is driving the net way more now and his game is much better...just little things need to be adjusted...team toughness is number one but if you dont have guys playing hard nose hockey you wont need team toughness cause the other team will just cruise on by...

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Do you feel this is just a slump, and we will get over it, or is there something more going on?

-This is just a slump. Turning out to be a bad one tho.

The team will get over it eventually.

Some of our fans tho will prolly refuse to let this one go as it can be a good source of their amusement/ de-stressing online. 

What would you do if you were in Travis Green's shoes.

-Move to another team with less number of cancerous fans. 

A slump is when you are a good team to begin with. We played well for 3 weeks in October, that's it. And we were awful last season. Can hardly call ourselves a good team. 

in all reality im ok with us getting a  good pick at the draft this yr we are one - two stars away from having a unreal  future corp

trade most of our vets at deadline get as many draft picks as possible benning 

add  a lafreniere or barron or drysdale to this group and we are laughing 

miller petey boeser

virtanen horvat podkolzin

hoglander gaudette roussel

macewen madden lind 

gad / jasek / focht  

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

woo myers 

demko

depietro

unload sutter, tanev, pearson, leivo, motte, markstrom, baertchi, goldy for picks at deadline even if u have to retain half cap on  sutter / baertchi or pearson maximize return  on these guys 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

in all reality im ok with us getting a  good pick at the draft this yr we are one - two stars away from having a unreal  future corp

miller petey boeser

macewen madden lind 

gad / jasek / focht  

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

woo myers 

demko

depietro

unload sutter, tanev, pearson, leivo, motte, markstrom, baertchi, goldy for picks at deadline even if u have to retain half cap on  sutter / baertchi or pearson maximize return  on these guys 

Just clarifying: Did we trade our first for Miller.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

A slump is when you are a good team to begin with. We played well for 3 weeks in October, that's it. And we were awful last season. Can hardly call ourselves a good team. 

I didn't know a slump is a designated term only for good teams. 

Writing personal opinions on a discussion board is one thing but re-defining a definition, this is next level. 

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

miller petey boeser

macewen madden lind 

gad / jasek / focht  

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

woo myers 

demko

depietro

You know a soft tank might be good for us. Leave Green in leave Eriksson in. Let Petie and Hughes learn more, let Bo figure out where he fits in our scheme. Let Tanev land where ever he lands. Add Tryamkin back for a few games. Experiment with the PP and PK.

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Benning needs to go.  This is his club.   He assembled it and is 100% responsible for the lack of truculense and grit. 

AGreed.

I never understood how the guy could blame injuries every year for the last decade and have three different coaches and have the fans buy into his crap while signing Eriksson and Myers to 12 million drafting juileviover Tkachuk and ehlers and having no us in one fluke playoff round six game loss in like seven years (I get he drafted EP but that’s why he hasn’t been fired yet)

he needs to go and I’m not sure green a rookie is the answer we hired one rookie after the next that’s on Benning again!

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Its hard to say whether this is a slump or not. Afterall, most of our wins have been against weaker teams.

What would I do if I were in Travis Greens shoes? Tell the power play to start taking slap shots from the point more often. I can't believe we haven't been doing this despite how often the point is open. Opposing teams have figured out our power play and are simply collapsing in front of the net and stopping cross ice passes. This forces us to pass the puck up to a D man and the D man then passes to the wing in hopes that the winger attains a good shooting lane. This is done often because cross ice passes are closed. On the other side of the equation, it is also done easily because the point is wide open. This begs the question as to why we wouldn't start shooting from the point to start threatening the opposition with slap shots from the blue line. If so, the opposition would be much more apt to start opening up those shooting lanes later on once the opposition tries switching tactics and starts trying to pressure our D men. I have no idea why Travis hasn't made this adjustment yet and I've been waiting for this adjustment for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Who would execute this aforementioned slapshot grasshopper? All dmen not named Quinn should be banned from the pp. Put a forward on the point that can blast the puck (Brock Petey) let the others cause a bit of carnage in front of the net. If they overplay Alien he glides by the guy and creates a 5 on 3.

46 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

AGreed.

I never understood how the guy could blame injuries every year for the last decade and have three different coaches and have the fans buy into his crap while signing Eriksson and Myers to 12 million drafting juileviover 

I believe he has people spinning for him. The way I was treated when I critisized Benning, in particular, tell that story. It's millions of dollar they're playing with and gullible owners. 

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its just a young team thats not quite there, most likely. 

eureka, someone gets it. 

expectations for this group (amongst fans and media only) changed only after they exceeded expectations in october. before that, going into the year, everybody expected a level of improvement, playing meaningful games in february and march, and battling for a playoff spot.

they're victims of their own success and of their fans' ridiculously fickle nature -- what was "hugely exceeding expectations" in october morphed into the actual expectations for november and beyond. 

the only thing that's different now than in training camp is everyone surrounding the team has lost sight of where this team actually is at and where they should reasonably be expected to be. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

AGreed.

I never understood how the guy could blame injuries every year for the last decade and have three different coaches and have the fans buy into his crap while signing Eriksson and Myers to 12 million drafting juileviover Tkachuk and ehlers and having no us in one fluke playoff round six game loss in like seven years (I get he drafted EP but that’s why he hasn’t been fired yet)

he needs to go and I’m not sure green a rookie is the answer we hired one rookie after the next that’s on Benning again!

you should check that math again, champ.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Benning needs to go.  This is his club.   He assembled it and is 100% responsible for the lack of truculense and grit. 

I would think long and hard about firing or not firing Benning. Because if the Aquilinis let him go, they will an extremely difficult time trying to find a quality replacement, considering their meddling reputation.