The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( Report ) Weber done for season maybe for career

Rate this topic

Squamfan

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt Montreal will be able to put him on LTIR for 6 more years.  Plus Shea is a stand up guy.  If he can't play I'm sure he will just retire, perhaps after next year.  Wouldn't insurance cover most of his contract for himself so he can still get paid?

Insurance pays only if he stays on LTIR.  If he retires the contract is terminated and nothing more is due.  

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt Montreal will be able to put him on LTIR for 6 more years.  Plus Shea is a stand up guy.  If he can't play I'm sure he will just retire, perhaps after next year.  Wouldn't insurance cover most of his contract for himself so he can still get paid?

Chris Pronger was on LTIR for 5 years to avoid cap recapture.  If it's due to an injury, they'll place him there and that'll be that.  Like you said, Shea is a stand up guy.  He won't want to screw over the Preds (or Habs) like that. If he can play, he'll play.  Expecting the league to actually hit Nashville with cap recapture is dreaming.  They won't do it.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Insurance pays only if he stays on LTIR.  If he retires the contract is terminated and nothing more is due.  

I see.  So then the question becomes what will Shea Weber the stand up guy do?  Also, wouldn't the NHLPA check to see if the player can actually play?  If he has a foot injury that doesn't heal after 2 years doesn't that signal he will never return?  I can't remember how they handled Pronger.  How long was he on LTIR?  I'm sure it wasn't for 6 years.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it he was on LTIR for a long time.  And the same with the TO twins, Clarkson and Horton.  Luongo was the only one dumb enough to retire, but I guess Florida is now paying him to come into work with a suit on so he didn't care and didn't give a sh*t about the Canucks situation.  Luongo should never should be put into the ring of honour, never mind retire his jersey, just for this bs alone...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

So Luongo, Kovulchuk, Hossa, and not Weber's contracts have all hit walls. None of them finished up.

Who's left? Parise and Suter?

Parise and Suter seem to be the last two standing. They're local boys from Minnesota, so I can see them having the "incentive" to try and finish there contracts. Although, if they get injured seriously, they'll end up on LTIR.

Weber probably goes to LTIRetirement if this injury is as serious as they say it is. His contract will probably be passed around until it is done after the 2025-2026 season.

I feel like the reason Luongo retired full stop over going to LTIR is that his injury wasn't serious enough for extensive LTIR. A doctor probably would have cleared him at some point and he'd have to keep playing. I think Luongo just didn't have it in him mentally to keep going. I respect him for knowing he had to retire. It just sucks the Canucks got hit with a recapture penalty NOW. Could have been better a few seasons ago when we were a bad team and could've eaten that cap hit more effectively.

Still though, this sucks for Weber. Hope he can play again. Helluva player and a BC boy to boot. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Reading the title I thought it was going to be about Yannick Weber after those Roussey crosschecks. I mean I wouldn't have doubted it, those were some nasty crosschecks.

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1