The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bess done?

Rate this topic

Alflives

OMG.

This is making an "all in" this year even more dumb.  We are mortgaging the future, even thought we don't have Ferland (or anyone like him) and all we've done is replace a scorer in Boeser for a scorer in Toffoli. LE might still have to play on our top six going into the playoffs.

I'm going skitzoid.

While I am excited about finally (knock on wood) watching playoff games.  Excited about what Tofolli can do for us. Excited to watch Marky, Petey, Hughes, can do in their first playoffs.

But on paper, this is a recipe for disaster.   Leivo Ferland and Boeser not returning. Replaced with one good forward.  And at what cost?  Its almost like Aquillini's patience, which was never strong from the beginning, has all but disappeared now.  He...and JB by extension...doesn't care if we are setting ourselves up to waste Petey, and Hughes prime years by not having the ability to sign upgrades in support players away from Sutter and Beagle, and Eriksson, because of overpayment and term.  And at the same time also strip your cupboards bare in picks and prospects. The ones that we will need on ELCs in the next few years to afford our core players.

Nice to see some playoff games, but if it turns out we don't go past the first round, and then Toffoli does not re-sign, those future problems will not go away. But with fewer picks and a top prospect. I'd hate to see us go all in this season, only to set ourselves up for once again watching from the outside of the playoffs for the next years.

My head says these moves are rash, irresponsible, and premature for where we are.  Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.

My heart says "#$%@ it!....trade the rest of the farm! Once you're in the dance, anything can happen....Stanley Cup Baby!!!!!"

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Ferland has been missing most of the year anyway. Brock out, Toffoli in almost evens up. Leivo is not a critical piece.

I think most fans were counting on those players all returning to help us, when evaluating our chances in the playoffs.  Leivo was an upgrade from LE, and was having a good year before he got injured.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Wow, the play in question didn't look that bad.  Just goes to show you don't ever know.

Let him go back to spend time with his Dad while he's on the mend.

Personally, I don't think the play in question was where the real injury happened, I think he'd been fighting this for a couple of weeks and that play just aggravated it and made it a lot worse.

I could be wrong, but that's my theory on it at least. He was struggling before he left the lineup, so it kind of makes sense that he was trying to play through something.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just heard that too. He's likely down for 8 weeks.

They will reevaluate in 3 weeks, but its worse than originally thought, he's likely done till at least the first round.

Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

I need to hug my teddy. :mad:

• Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Please stop saying this. Madden is not the future, he is 1 person , someone who is undersized and low on the depth chart. Our future is OJ, Woo, Rathbone, Lind, Pod, Petey, Bo, BB, Miller, Hughes, Markstrom.. shall I go on? 

What did you expect JB to do... walk into the dressing room and say to the team "well guys, I know you played your hearts out, and have proved many wrong this year, but Brock hurt his ribs... so tough sh*t, I'm not going to replace him, looks like the seasons over boys, better luck next year" 

Come on, it's 1 trade and has way more upside than down. Get on the positive train Mr. Grumpy Pants. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQI-AKtJPQK1gZpum2g6R

• Haha 2

So, Leivo also done for at least the regular season.

We suddenly have a LOT of LTIR.

So, according to CapFriendly.com, we have used $4,945,000 of $10,875,000 current LTIR. We're looking at $5,590,834 still available, which is more than enough to bring in Tryamkin as well.

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, Leivo also done for at least the regular season.

We suddenly have a LOT of LTIR.

So, according to CapFriendly.com, we have used $4,945,000 of $10,875,000 current LTIR. We're looking at $5,590,834 still available, which is more than enough to bring in Tryamkin as well.

KHL season ends April 30. His team is in 4th place in their conference, atm.

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

KHL season ends April 30. His team is in 4th place in their conference, atm.

I believe his season is done before end of Feb, but then playoffs. Have heard that its likely that his team will be a first round exit. If that happens, and the schedule that I looked up on the KHL website is correct, he could be here mid March. 

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I believe his season is done before end of Feb, but then playoffs. Have heard that its likely that his team will be a first round exit. If that happens, and the schedule that I looked up on the KHL website is correct, he could be here mid March. 

Yeah could be right, seems like they only had 3 regular season games left.. is their season really only like 60?

Maybe April 30 is the last possible game of the finals?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Please stop saying this. Madden is not the future, he is 1 person , someone who is undersized and low on the depth chart. Our future is OJ, Woo, Rathbone, Lind, Pod, Petey, Bo, BB, Miller, Hughes, Markstrom.. shall I go on? 

What did you expect JB to do... walk into the dressing room and say to the team "well guys, I know you played your hearts out, and have proved many wrong this year, but Brock hurt his ribs... so tough sh*t, I'm not going to replace him, looks like the seasons over boys, better luck next year" 

Come on, it's 1 trade and has way more upside than down. Get on the positive train Mr. Grumpy Pants. 

Exactly.  I believe madden wouldn’t have signed here.   If he’s looking at the roster, he will have to battle for 3rd and 4th line positions.   He prob would’ve pulled a vesey.