The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bess done?

Rate this topic

Alflives

The exact things about Madden that would’ve been frowned upon prior to the trade are being highly affirmed now.

”He was undersized. He was lower tier prospect. 150 lb 4th line player. People were overrating our prospects like him. He wasn’t going to sign anyway”

Why do people feel the need to put down Madden now? It’s like some people are actually insecure about the trade and are trying to convince themselves that Madden was probably not that great anyway. We got a fantastic player in Toffoli, and gave away a fantastic prospect in Madden. It’s how trades work. If people don’t like it like @kilgore above, they probably have their reasons, and if they are wrong, they will eat crow. If people like it, they have their reasons too (Toffoli is great etc...), but none of these reasons should start with putting down Madden, who was rightfully touted as a great prospect when he was a Canuck.

Edited by Grape
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

I’ve wondered where that blistering wrist shot disappeared to all season. I hope Brock comes back healthier for the playoffs. 

Maybe Brock has been playing for a while with, what he thought were, sore ribs?  

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I don't think the play in question was where the real injury happened, I think he'd been fighting this for a couple of weeks and that play just aggravated it and made it a lot worse.

I could be wrong, but that's my theory on it at least. He was struggling before he left the lineup, so it kind of makes sense that he was trying to play through something.

makes sense

1 hour ago, Grape said:

The exact things about Madden that would’ve been frowned upon prior to the trade are being highly affirmed now.

”He was undersized. He was lower tier prospect. 150 lb 4th line player. People were overrating our prospects like him. He wasn’t going to sign anyway”

Why do people feel the need to put down Madden now? It’s like some people are actually insecure about the trade and are trying to convince themselves that Madden was probably not that great anyway. We got a fantastic player in Toffoli, and gave away a fantastic prospect in Madden. It’s how trades work. If people don’t like it like @kilgore above, they probably have their reasons, and if they are wrong, they will eat crow. If people like it, they have their reasons too (Toffoli is great etc...), but none of these reasons should start with putting down Madden, who was rightfully touted as a great prospect when he was a Canuck.

It's not putting someone down when you point out the weaknesses that made a player a risk. These were legitimate concerns that many had with Madden, and people are highlighting them to show other's why this trade makes sense, and/or why Madden may not have ranked higher on JB's list.

Putting him down would be saying "he's an a**hole who never liked Vancouver and talked smack about Fin, glad he's gone" 

If you see any of that you let me know, I've got an itchy confused face trigger finger today.

32 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

It's not putting someone down when you point out the weaknesses that made a player a risk. These were legitimate concerns that many had with Madden, and people are highlighting them to show other's why this trade makes sense, and/or why Madden may not have ranked higher on JB's list.

Putting him down would be saying "he's an a**hole who never liked Vancouver and talked smack about Fin, glad he's gone" 

If you see any of that you let me know, I've got an itchy confused face trigger finger today.

Well if that's how you interpret "putting someone down," then replace that phrase with another phrase that would fit what I said. Doesn't have to be the phrase "putting someone down."

The point is that these "legitimate concerns" were not "legitimate concerns" before the trade. They are "concerns" that would be argued upon and laughed upon and brushed aside if mentioned prior to the trade, if brought up in the manner like they've been brought up the past 24 hours. All of the sudden he's gone and all of these "legitimate concerns" arise. My point is that why can't these people have the same exact opinion of Madden that they had prior to the trade, and still be happy with Toffoli? It's like they have to convince themselves that Madden wasn't that good in order to be happy with the trade.

Edited by Grape

5 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

For those wondering why we needed to get Toffoli, here’s your answer. 

lol not really a need.. i mean boeser was playing 3rd line role during the winning streak.. he's been slumping forever now scoring wise.. not really gonna make a difference with him in or out of the lineup.. i mean we have a good chance to win with the current lineup if they play 60mins a night.. and we lose when they show up for half the game.. with or without boeser

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol not really a need.. i mean boeser was playing 3rd line role during the winning streak.. he's been slumping forever now scoring wise.. not really gonna make a difference with him in or out of the lineup.. i mean we have a good chance to win with the current lineup if they play 60mins a night.. and we lose when they show up for half the game.. with or without boeser

You may feel that way but Benning clearly disagrees. He said today that he wouldn’t have made that move if it wasn’t for Brocks injury. 

so whether you believe it was a need or not that is why the trade was made. 

59 minutes ago, Grape said:

Well if that's how you interpret "putting someone down," then replace that phrase with another phrase that would fit what I said. Doesn't have to be the phrase "putting someone down."

The point is that these "legitimate concerns" were not "legitimate concerns" before the trade. They are "concerns" that would be argued upon and laughed upon and brushed aside if mentioned prior to the trade, if brought up in the manner like they've been brought up the past 24 hours. All of the sudden he's gone and all of these "legitimate concerns" arise. My point is that why can't these people have the same exact opinion of Madden that they had prior to the trade, and still be happy with Toffoli? It's like they have to convince themselves that Madden wasn't that good in order to be happy with the trade.

I loved Madden, but his size was always a concern as was the glut of young cmen ahead of him in the org.

43 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

You may feel that way but Benning clearly disagrees. He said today that he wouldn’t have made that move if it wasn’t for Brocks injury. 

so whether you believe it was a need or not that is why the trade was made. 

sure but still doesn't really justify throwing away picks and prospect for a bandaid fix. if they sign toffoli i'm down but if they don't? whats the point of throwing away picks and prospect when you could have stocked up and use them in a few years time when we are actually making a push in the playoff? prospect and picks are a premium in currency in today's nhl especially if you are a contender

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

I loved Madden, but his size was always a concern as was the glut of young cmen ahead of him in the org.

I think it is certainly fair to say that he was an excellent prospect but his size is a concern.  That is why was not a first rounder.

Plays tough for a guy his size but in college you see him get bounced around some times but he still engages.  Might not work so well in the pros.

His dad was such a good solid player as well, the pedigree is there.

I am okay with this trade.  Too me when Benning traded the first for Miller he was saying time to show Elias we are serious.

Can't jump in with one foot, if this the path Benning has chosen than he should be going for it. 

It is not easy to predict when that window will open and we have some good young guys coming.

7 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Nooooooooooooooooo... please give us a miracle!!! He needs to be back for playoffs!!!! :(

Now that he's also on LTIR, will JB pull off another deal?? Leivo probably won't return till the playoffs... in the meantime, we need more scoring depth!!! 

I mean it's kinda easy to forget Boucher, Baertschi, Goldobin are all pt per game + in the AHL. 

10 hours ago, mll said:

With Boeser, Ferland and Leivo on LTIR for the rest of the season and Bailey returned to Utica - CapFriendly shows the Canucks with 5.59M in cap space.  There are no roster limits past the TDL.  

So you’re saying we could afford to take on the full cap hit of one pending UFA such as: Kreider, Simmonds, Martinez, Pageau, Green, Borowiecki, Boedker, Frolik...

I would be keen to add Simmonds and Borowiecki before the TDL. As long as the price isn’t too high. Adds some good depth and some serious pushback and grit to the lineup.

Motte will be back shortly so might have to move MacEwen and Brisebois back to Utica to open up the necessary roster spots and cap space. Big Mac can be bought back in the post season or in case of further injury.

Roster for remainder of regular season becomes:

Miller Pettersson Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette Simmonds

Motte Beagle Sutter

Eriksson

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Borowiecki Stecher

Benn

Probably returning during regular season:

Fantenberg

Hopefully returning to roster during playoffs:

Boeser

Leivo

MacEwen

If I was Brock I would be worried and happy right now.....

ill start with why he should be happy cause he might get his first taste of playoff hockey and there will be less pressure to get him back in the line up so he can heal up right.......

now the bad Tyler toffoli could steal brocks spot and make him replacable...if Tyler takes an discount to stay on a team that is on the rise and to play with tanner.....

Its a business at the end of the day......that's extreme of it all though....

16 hours ago, Grape said:

I understand what you're saying, but the more likely reality is most people had no idea about Maddens upside and downsides prior to the trade, most people don't follow prospects too closely until they land in Utica, and even then. So the trade has given people a platform to voice their issues, but it doesn't mean those issues didn't exist prior to the trade. 

But all that said, I'm ok with  folks rationalising a trade in order to put it in a positive light, it's way easier than listening to people rationalise it in a negative light.