The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

man I think we are seeing everything JB needs to make an assessment right now. seeing if this team rallies and pulls out of this tail spin or rolls over and plays dead is basically all JB really needs to see to know what moves need to be made.

Season isn't over yet and we are still fighting for a playoff spot. This is exactly where I had projected them in the offseason. They've had good stretches and some poor ones, but I didn't expect them to be more than a bubble wild card team with the hopeful chance that they get over the hump. If they get swept in the 1st round, then so be it, it's progress.

If they don't, then yes JB will have more to assess, but I think he wants to see the guys in the playoffs. The playoff drive is a good indicator as well though.

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

You have no idea what he is saying behind closed doors. Green is not one to call out his players because he knows that doesn’t work. He will present a united front publically and deal with on-ice problems privately, away from the prying eyes of the media. And not to be impolite, but how many years experience as an NHL coach do you have? If the answer is none you are in no position at all to assess coaching competence. Like zero.

And Green is doing a real good job coaching because why?  Against most team we match up really well, and often have the better players.  Yet we get grossly out shot, and chase the game.  We have junior level systems, and play passive.  We react and never initiate.  Veterans continue to play soft (never on the body, but reaching with sticks) yet continue to get ice time.  Young players with passion, when called up, don’t play.  

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Season isn't over yet and we are still fighting for a playoff spot. This is exactly where I had projected them in the offseason. They've had good stretches and some poor ones, but I didn't expect them to be more than a bubble wild card team with the hopeful chance that they get over the hump. If they get swept in the 1st round, then so be it, it's progress.

If they don't, then yes JB will have more to assess, but I think he wants to see the guys in the playoffs. The playoff drive is a good indicator as well though.

How is finishing in the middle of the league any good for a rebuilding team? That means picking in the middle of round one.  That’s kind of the recipe to be mediocre.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately, .500 hockey doesn’t mean much in the day of the loser point.  Case in point....the bloody awful Season of Torts (that got both Torts and Gillis rightly fired), team actually was one point ABOVE .500 at the end of the year.   It’s a pretty low standard.

Absolutely.   90ish points is the new .500 and with only half making the playoffs now it's usually not enough.  Which is why I'm not sure if we win 8 of the next 16 it would be enough...throw in a couple OTL and yes probably is.   Still we have at least a fighting chance, we aren't out yet - factually still a little better off then other wild card teams - that said, must admit I feel a little sick that we've blown things this bad - especially given Demko finally had a very solid game for us...

• Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

This is laughable at best, been following him quite closely actually. He's in a group of 4-5 d-men with nearly identical ice-time and stats and all are below their top d-man Vasilevsky. For part of the season Tryamkin was the 2-3 and the other part he was the 3-4-5. My statement is accurate as can be, he's a 3-4 dman on a slightly above average KHL team.

Vasilevsky 20:11

Tryamkin 19:51

Bodrov 19:48

Gurkin 19:27

Mamkin 18:50

Berezin 17:48

Batyrshin 16:45

Playoffs

Tryamkin 22:57

Gurkin 22:48

Berezin 22:09

Vasilevsky 22:01

Mamkin 20:42

Batyrshin 18:59

They manage their minutes for sure, but Tryamkin is consistently averaging in the top 2 in minutes. He's the go to PK defender (and likely the most reliable defensive guy on the team). He's had his minutes go up down the stretch and carrying over into the playoffs when it matters the most.

• Cheers 3

I didn’t watch the game. Lucky me. 

Instead, I watched Black Label Society at the Vogue. 

My evening was so much more fun than most of these posters’. 

I don’t know what’s worse, the usual Kumbaya lemming-singing in here or this stuff in here right now.

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

was i the only one that was entertained by that game? the boys played well enough to win as did arizona. give me more entertaining games like that. 

Don't want to see this team be successful? Take the next step? Or is mediocrity okay with you? This team played exciting hockey last year. I want them to play meaningful hockey now.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How is finishing in the middle of the league any good for a rebuilding team? That means picking in the middle of round one.  That’s kind of the recipe to be mediocre.  

Unfortunately that's what rising teams usually have to contend with.  The silver lining is we have a decent prospect pool since that should add a couple roster players that will play well, and the core itself is still 2-3 years before they are all in their prime.  That's what should push us out of the middle - ARI leaving and Seattle coming in should also make it easier (no way they do as well as Vegas did)...

This is absolutely disheartening.   The Canucks do this to us often enough but it still isn't easy on us fans.   The last two games could have been wins quite easily - that also is promising and Demko had his best game since Markstrom went down.   Miller is inspiring - need more desperation.   Hope this makes them mad.  Just need to pop off a couple of wins to get things back on track.... our home record is excellent - those games especially we need them.   Two more games against ARI...huge games for sure.   Hope isn't lost yet.   No need to bring the tank on.

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I am amazed by the people starting to talk about tanking while we are still  in the middle of battling for a playoff spot after going through an attrocious patch of games.  Seems like loser mentality to me...When the Canucks fight through this adversity and get BB and Markstrom back for playoffs and we win round 1, stay off the wagon please.

• Cheers 1

Strangely enough after watching last nights game I am less worried about the future. 
Demko played good. The first goal was an incredibly flukey goal as was the second. The third goal was a tip. 
Jake was first star of the game in my books. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Green is doing a real good job coaching because why?  

1. He has the team contending for a playoff spot, which a lot of so-called experts said wouldn’t happen.

2. He has worked with Jake patiently since inheriting him in Utica in Jake’s second year when so many on CDC were labelling him a bust. Look at Jake now. 

3. He is loyal to his players. If you want loyalty in your players you have to be loyal to them.

4. He does not publically call out his players when they make a mistake.

5. He has found a way to use guys like Motte and Eriksson in ways that benefit the team. No, Loui will never again be a 30 goal scorer, or even a 10 goal scorer, but he is often out in the final minutes protecting a lead (last few games notwithstanding)

6. He has integrated young guys into the lineup and helped them develop at the NHL level, and I’m talking Gaudette and MacEwen, not obvious stars like Hughes and Pettersson. As for bringing you guys up with youthful energy and not playing them, well, youthful energy is great, but NHL skill is greater and if a regular can play, he’ll play ahead of the energetic youth from the minors.

7. He’s helped Boeser become a more complete player. Yes he has.

8. He appears to have created a stable environment where the players want to play for each other. After playing over 900 games in the  NHL himself, he would know how important that is.

Now it’s your turn, Alf. Tell us why Green is a bad coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

All the doubters relax we’re still gonna make the playoffs. This tough stretch will make us better going into the playoffs. Securing a wildcard is still very do-able.

None of those teams fighting for wildcard scare me lol  

What scares me are:

1. Total lack of egrency from coach Green.

2. Decision making process of coach Green.

What can I say?

After five years without playoffs, it's legit to be disappointed when your team starts a losing streak in the most important period of the year wasting third period leads or losing to botton five teams or losing to teams in terrible shape.

It's legit to be upset when two of your best players (Markstrom and Boeser) are injured.

The only tip I can give to myself and to you Canucks Nation is: let's look at the silver lining!

Three steps.

• Think about our situation in 2017 and make a comparison: in 2017 we had only Horvat and the hope to have something in Boeser. Period. Now we have an elite 1C in Pettersson, an incredible offensive dman in Hughes, an all star and former Calder Winner in Boeser and a good prospect pool. We have a new captain, a Vezina caliber goalie and a goalie that could become an elite one.
  • Finally, after four season, we can enjoy some meaningful hockey games. We can cheer for our team to win and not to lose like other season.
  • Last, if we will miss playoff we will have our 1st pick back and who knows. Wait, not saying we will win the lottery. We are the Vancouver Canucks but still...who knows?

That's my best.

But yes, I'm upset.

Edited by ItalianCanuck1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Don't want to see this team be successful? Take the next step? Or is mediocrity okay with you? This team played exciting hockey last year. I want them to play meaningful hockey now.

Read his post again. He said he enjoyed the game. He didn’t say he liked the outcome or that he enjoys mediocrity. Of course he wants the team to be successful. He’s also seen more hockey games than you’ve had hot meals, so maybe a little tolerance on your part would be good 

• Cheers 1