The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, bree2 said:

Babcock and Gallant were fired from good teams for a reason and especially Gallant  fired from 2 teams recently must be a reason why?

Wasn't gallant last team the panthers?

That's not a good team lol

13 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Alf, normally I enjoy your comments and insight. But reading your latest replies I don't understand your hard on for Babcock. He is not the coach we need nor do I want him anywhere near our young players. Who we need is Gallant.

This team was always going to struggle this year; we knew this coming into the season. They are hitting the wall and injuries are piling up at an important time of year. This doesn't mean that the future is any less bright. The team could look completely different in the summer.

Lets all take a deep breath people. It is not the end of the world, nor is it the end of the season yet. Canucks will right the ship or they miss the playoffs. Simple as that.

I don’t know if Gallant is tough enough.  He’s a players’ coach isn’t he?  

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green is 9 games below .500

If we have such good players, as many suggest, why do we struggle to keep shots down, and have poor puck possession?  It’s a coach who is passive in his philosophy, and has junior systems.  

If we had Babs this season we are 10 wins better.  Our young core deserves an elite coach, and not Softy Green.  

You call that a rebuttal. :picard:

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Babs is an arrogant SOB, who is a control freak.  He took that Leafs crap team to their franchises best ever result - 105 points.  He got 100% the best out of everyone of their players.  He didn’t play the softies.  He rewarded guys who played the right way.  He supported his elite stars.  He’s hated, feared, and loathed.  He’s exactly what our top young players want.  Elite athletes want all their teammates to be accountable.  Babs does that.  

Babs is the type of coach who inherits stanley cup calibre teams, and olympic gold calibre teams. Nothing of his achievements list impresses me. 
what actually matters to me, and to most of the fanbase; is that we know our core has huge potential. We need a coach that helps our youth develop. Travis Green does that. 

The guy had Marner, Reilly, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Kadri yet he couldn’t pass the first round. Check out his TO record. It’s horrendous. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, brownky said:

Something isn't right, I agree.

Whether it's Baumgartner, Green, or a combination of the two I'm not entirely positive. I'd lean more on "both" rather than one or the other.

The wrong personnel are out there at the wrong time and a stubborn refusal to change it up are likely on Green. This case is probably enhanced by the Canucks' record on the road vs home when last change goes against them.

The system and structure itself are probably on Baumer. Now whether that system is let down because of the players on the ice at the time, or by the players on the roster itself, I'm not sure. I will say our defence has suffered significantly fewer serious injuries this year, so in the medical department we've done a lot better. Definitely blocking fewer of the low-risk, outside shots. But we're letting down defensive coverage as well at a cost of that... whether the players aren't defensive minded or simply told to be in the wrong spot... I'm not sure.

But whatever the case, something isn't right. Mentality is definitely wrong, the team is almost never ready to start the game, and never ready to close it out.

And it’s too late (only 16 games left) to change the coaches.  As soon as the league ramped up play over the last third of the season, we saw Green (coaches) struggle with exactly the things you point out.  A change should have been made then.  Now it’s too late.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Babcock and Gallant were fired from good teams for a reason and especially Gallant  fired from 2 teams recently must be a reason why?

A big chunk of this fanbase is just dumb. They think hiring a big name like Gallant or Babcock will come in and fix everything. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Something isn't right, I agree.

Whether it's Baumgartner, Green, or a combination of the two I'm not entirely positive. I'd lean more on "both" rather than one or the other.

The wrong personnel are out there at the wrong time and a stubborn refusal to change it up are likely on Green. This case is probably enhanced by the Canucks' record on the road vs home when last change goes against them.

The system and structure itself are probably on Baumer. Now whether that system is let down because of the players on the ice at the time, or by the players on the roster itself, I'm not sure. I will say our defence has suffered significantly fewer serious injuries this year, so in the medical department we've done a lot better. Definitely blocking fewer of the low-risk, outside shots. But we're letting down defensive coverage as well at a cost of that... whether the players aren't defensive minded or simply told to be in the wrong spot... I'm not sure.

But whatever the case, something isn't right. Mentality is definitely wrong, the team is almost never ready to start the game, and never ready to close it out.

Spot on. This comes down to more than just bad luck. If the team ends up falling out of contention and misses the playoffs this season, I'd be willing to bet that the entire coaching staff is canned.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know if Gallant is tough enough.  He’s a players’ coach isn’t he?  

Results matter. It doesn't matter how the results are gained. He can walk into the room wearing a giant stuffed care bear costume, as long as we win, that's all that counts.

I'm positive if toughness is required, he can find it. He's taken teams that have no business being anywhere near the playoffs and put them at least in the conversation. The Knights were a team of 2nd and 3rd liners and Luca Sbisa and made the cup finals. The next year they had worse players off career years and still got there. That's a result.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Wasn't gallant last team the panthers?

That's not a good team lol

Gallant was just recently fired from the Knights, and before that the Panthers. I pretty sure the Knights were on a roll when he was fired

5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

A big chunk of this fanbase is just dumb. They think hiring a big name like Gallant or Babcock will come in and fix everything. 

Why does wanting Babs or Gallant make us dumb?  Doesn’t wanting our team to be better make us fans?  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah but before that.

He was an assistant for a few years, and before that his rookie coaching job was taking the CBJ with an absolutely garbage roster (worse than today's red wings) for... oh... 1.7 seasons and almost made them a .500 team.

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Gallant was just recently fired from the Knights, and before that the Panthers. I pretty sure the Knights were on a roll when he was fired

I feel like the Canucks as a team need this sort of change. Not positive that Green can get the most out of our roster.

I wouldn't mind giving him a chance. Old school but a players coach.

My biases:

- In the predict-the-score threads, I consistently predicated Canucks to lose during the past 2 weeks

My opinion:

- This losing streak reveals a lot of about this team as well as a part of this fan base. That part of the fan base is mentally weak. I don't know what kind of charmed life they had but somehow they think in life if you put in the effort you would be for sure rewarded. Life does not work that way a lot of the time. 

- During that winning steak in Jan/Feb, many people expressed how this team may contend for the Stanley Cup as soon as this year. I did not agree. Now, I do think this generation of Canucks is developing the mental fortitude to contend for the Cup in the near future. I love how the team responded after losing games that they deserved at least a point for. I love how the team fought back after that that first period goal. I love how this team kept pushing after Arizona tied and then took the lead. I love how the young core responded. I love how the veterans played. This team does not feel sorry for itself. This team works hard and knows how they should play. I think this team may develop a strong identity and become more mentally tough than the team that went to the Cup finals in 2011. That 2011 team collapsed several times vis-a-vis Chicago.

- I am more impressed with how this team is handling this losing streak than the winning streak back in Jan/Feb. Ovie and Washington went through years of disappointment and personal attacks to finally win. People already wrote off the Blues after decades of futility and bad start last season. Everybody hate Boston but the Bruins keep going. This losing streaking will make men out of our young core. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like the Canucks as a team need this sort of change. Not positive that Green can get the most out of our roster.

I wouldn't mind giving him a chance. Old school but a players coach.

If the team misses the playoffs, I'm thinking that Benning will pull the plug on this coaching staff.

• Upvote 1