The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Marc Michaelis

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Michaelis is a very interesting prospect in his own right and has scored at basically every level. Starting in the German minor hockey system he was a star with Mannheim’s junior program before coming over to North America and producing in both the NAHL and USHL. Jumping to the college level didn’t slow him down, as Michaelis scored 36 points in 39 games as a freshman. His 162 points in 148 games for Minnesota State actually put him second on the school’s all-time scoring list, while his 71 goals put him first. Not only can he score at even-strength and on the powerplay, but Michaelis also set a school record with ten career shorthanded goals.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/vancouver-canucks

I guess you never really now what a guy can do until he gets a shot.  Burr was older, and he was great.  Maybe this guy, even though he’s older, can be great fir us too?  Do we still have contracts left to sign Rathbone and Tryamkin?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I guess you never really now what a guy can do until he gets a shot.  Burr was older, and he was great.  Maybe this guy, even though he’s older, can be great fir us too?  Do we still have contracts left to sign Rathbone and Tryamkin?  

yes because they'll all start July 1 when we'll also shed a bunch of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Free prospects. Zack MacEwan was also a free prospect at the time of his signing.

I think Zack was 20.  Big difference IMO between a guy who is 20 and one who is 25.  Physically this new guy is a man.  Sounds like a Utica guy, but you never know.  If we’re lucky he’s a Burr. 

• Cheers 3

I like this signing. This guy has put up very good numbers over the last 4 years in college. He had more 13 more points in his first year of college than Lockwood had in his last.. Given that he’s played 4 years he’s got tons of experience and he’s been very consistent. Really solid signing IMO.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We currently only have about 30 players under contract for the 2020/21 season, including today's two signings, so we are fine right now.

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. The year varies from contract to contract, but the day remains the same (as we’ll discuss more when we look at player contracts in later editions of the feature). Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I don't know him but I know Jim does. In Benning I trust. 

Welcome to the franchise Marc! Hope to see you progress into an NHLer for us :)

Aside from Marc Chouinard and Crawford, did we have any other Marc's? 

Marc Bergevin

Marc-Andre Gragnani

Seems like a guy with a sneaky good shot, smart and shifty (knows how to find the open spots in coverage); wonder if he could be a poor, poor man's version of J.T. Miller seeing how he's such a Swiss Army knife guy?

Edited by Phil_314

2 hours ago, apollo said:

I don't know him but I know Jim does. In Benning I trust. 

Welcome to the franchise Marc! Hope to see you progress into an NHLer for us :)

Aside from Marc Chouinard and Crawford, did we have any other Marc's? 

6552566.jpg

• Thanks 1

He will be 25 by the time he suits up for us. looking at his stats, he's gotten better each year in college. 

I think he will be Beagle's direct competition for the 4th line C next season. Michaelis has more offence and playmaking ability than Beags and plays a 2-way game too AND he can play PK according to JB. 

Lockwood - Michaelis - MacEwen could be a good 'modern' 4th line with speed and skill. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1