The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

Its not a bad thing if the snag was that health officials wanted stringent quarantine rules - there's a reason BC has done such a great job with COVID - nice to see they are putting health concerns before $$$$ - not sure Kenney here in Alberta cares about public health as much as the almighty dollar and if Edmonton is chosen it will likely be because they gave in on health concerns and testing and not because its a more attractive bid as from what I have read Edmonton does not have the hotels Vancouver has. However with the economy in the toilet the old UCP will do whatever it takes - including sacrificing public health to get some much needed economic boost to the province.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Wow, ok, that sounds like a pretty strong statement that Vancouver is officially out of the running then. Honestly, that sounds fine to me. It won’t appear as biased when the Canucks win this thing, and it feels kind of proud as a British Columbian that we didn’t negotiate the integrity of our health and safety to host this thing. 

I just hope that Vancouver being out of the running doesn’t mean that the West ends up in Vegas. Honestly, the main reason I wanted Vancouver to be chosen was to guarantee that our boys wouldn’t be forced to go to Vegas.

Sure, most healthy, young people will do fine with a SARS-CoV-2 infection, but not everyone. Death or long-term respiratory issues (which would be career ending) are very possible outcomes from COVID-19.

And I really don’t see how the Vegas hub makes sense, no matter how tight their bubble is. Unless they’re literally going to move everyone into the bubble, including the food service people, cleaners, delivery people/suppliers, etc, there‘s just too much risk putting a hub in that city (given their current numbers and trends).

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course TSN makes Vancouver being out as their front page story.

As if this is some sort of win for Toronto.

If they get to be a hub city that’s the only thing they’ll be winning this summer.

There's a reason people call it Toronto Sports Network. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If they get to be a hub city that’s the only thing they’ll be winning this summer.

Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed a lot of negative articles and interviews from TSN.

Meanwhile Sportsnet has all the optimistic pieces.

TSN showing their bitterness for not being the ones to air the games? :lol:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My money is on To. 

Proud of the BC response. They did the work and gave it a chance. I'm sure they would like to have the economic opportunity. But they didn't bend rules to risk the population.  Not like it makes a difference to fans. We can only watch from a TV anyway. 

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Proud of the BC response. They did the work and gave it a chance. I'm sure they would like to have the economic opportunity. But they didn't bend rules to risk the population.  Not like it makes a difference to fans. We can only watch from a TV anyway. 

I think it’s awesome because you know the league wanted to come here. Knowing Bettman he probably thought he had the upper hand and he could get whatever he wanted.

BC officials called his bluff, now he has to go to a city that is less safe for the players. I’m sure they’ll love that idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think it’s awesome because you know the league wanted to come here. Knowing Bettman he probably thought he had the upper hand and he could get whatever he wanted.

BC officials called his bluff, now he has to go to a city that is less safe for the players. I’m sure they’ll love that idea.

I'm still not convinced the players are voting to play

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm still not convinced the players are voting to play

Not sure what they’re thinking but like Carey Price said there’s still lots that need to be answered for them.

Seems like the NHL might be putting the cart before the horse before they have even had a vote.

• Vintage 1

Very happy our government was firm with the requirements.  I want hockey back as much as the rest of us, but not at the expense of BC lives.  Wonder how many players' wives tell them not to report if Edmonton's a hub city.  The reason the Soilers are on a lot of limited NTC's no go list isn't solely because they're an absolute joke of a hockey team.  Edmonton's an absolute dump and Bettman's insane if he thinks the players are going to willingly spend that much time in that hellhole.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Master Mind said:

If that were the case, the NHL wouldn't be trying to make an air-tight bubble.

It would seem that if the NHL can get their accommodations met, the players would be safer inside the bubble, rather than being out and about in society.

They're also working on an out-clause for any player who doesn't feel comfortable with playing.

From what I'm seeing, they're taking player and staff safety very seriously.

yet they don't want them to play in the safest place possible.  Sounds like hollow words to me.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure what they’re thinking but like Carey Price said there’s still lots that need to be answered for them.

Seems like the NHL might be putting the cart before the horse before they have even had a vote.

yup............I bet the majority of the players want to play in Canada, not the US

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

yet they don't want them to play in the safest place possible.  Sounds like hollow words to me.

From the sounds of it it’s not that the NHL doesn’t want to play in Vancouver.  It’s that the BC government isn’t willing to make concessions that will allow for it.  

Just now, qwijibo said:

From the sounds of it it’s not that the NHL doesn’t want to play in Vancouver.  It’s that the BC government isn’t willing to make concessions that will allow for it.  

and that's the NHL not wanting to play in Vancouver on the condition of absolute safety for players and citizens.  Given the state of the US right now, it seems like a no brainer.  If you want to play and you profess your desire to keep the players as safe as possible, then playing in the province that has completely flattened the curve and playing by the rules that has kept citizens of this province safe seems like the move to make to back up the rhetoric.

• Cheers 2