The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Dumbs makes $5.4

Hartman is 25 and has played for four teams already. Something’s up there.

Boeser is worth much more than that to both teams.

Not to the Wild.  He's not a C1.  He probably has even less value to them because they have no elite playmakers to set him up.  He'd be wasted on their team and likely couldn't make the same impact given their set up.

Pieces need to fit to have a good team.  He wouldn't fit on their team the way it's built right now.  In a few years once they find playmakers. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning seems like a thorough guy so I wouldn’t be surprised if he entertained any teams calling on Brock. But that is much different than actively shopping him.

Like you said, it would be an option but only if most other options are exhausted.

Plan A, B, C, D etc would involve dumping salary of redundant players on the roster.

There might be no takers for those players.  Cap space is scarce and draft picks don't guarantee drafting an NHLer.  Some teams might also be forced to operate on an internal budget to limit the losses.  Revenue is going to be significantly lower than the actual cap.  Owners are going to take a large portion of the losses initially including a portion of the players' share with escrow capped.   They will be made whole over time but some might have liquidity issues next season.   

I wonder how challenging it was to get Boeser under contract.  He apparently turned down a long term deal.  He also has a 7.5M qualifying offer.  Maybe the Canucks aren't that confident that they will be able to fit him under their cap long term and that his demands could exceed what they are willing to pay him.  Pettersson improves the numbers of everyone he plays with.  Boeser adds playing with him but does he hold the same value playing with Horvat or Gaudette.  

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, shazzam said:

The question about Brock is how's his back? He hasn't looked right since his injury.

I had an injury very similar to Boeser. Can take years to fully recover, it would be reasonable to assume he has some lingering issues with his lowback.

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1

I don't mind trading Boeser 5.9 million for a top #3 D man..I have said all along Canucks weakest position is defence and strongest deepest position is wing..

To get a top D man that can play beside Hughes for many years under 27 year old will cost a top 3 winger??

Canuck fans defence is weak and getting old -- Trade something good to get something good...Its simple...

No team wants are garbage back....  Either Boeser --- Risto ---- or  package  - Virtanen and Rathbone,  Leivo - --    Risto - 3rd 2020

Only trade Boeser if we can resign Taffoli.....

Remember Defence needs upgrade..

!. Edler 34 - needs to play less minutes to prevent injuries - needs to play only 20 min -- no more 25 minutes, need to watch his minutes.

2. Hughes  20    -- 25 minutes -- star need top end partner   ( Risto, 6'4 - 26 - 25 minute guy)

3.Myers 30  ---- 21 minute guy can match up against other teams top players

4. Tanev 31 soon...UFA -- Had lots of injuries --save 4.5 million ---- Need to move away and trade for similar  player younger and healthier....

5 Stetcher 26 -- 15-18 min guy RFA -- will demand 2.5 million? Like his style but Rafferty could fill this spot for 750,000?

6.. Fentenberg 29 - UFA --  future up in the air? 15 mins

7. Benn 33 --- only 1 season left at 2 million...easy to move him --- 15 min guy

Rafferty -- Briesbois --- Juolevi --- none of these guys ready to be a # 3 D men---  Tryamkin is no #3 D man , maybe # 5...

Edited by wildcam

First of all... Sekeres :rolleyes: :bored:

Second of all, sure Boeser is an option. I still think Virtanen's the guy that makes most sense to move however (assuming a Toffoli re-sign).

Either way... If I read one more 'for Dumba' post :picard:. We in no way need Dumba. We already have a better, younger and cheaper version in Hughes. What we need is a 'Seabrook' to his 'Kieth'.

On that note, a hell yes to targeting the likes of Dobson (or similar). We'd have to take some other salary back though in that scenario.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, WCE said:

Depending what we could get 

I would consider moving Boeser for Seth Jones or Damon Severson

Or maybe clear more cap space Boeser & Eriksson for Shea Weber & others 

Anyone who follows hockey would do this in a heart beat.  He is untouchable for the jackets.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sekeras is a known liar. Listened him for years.. he makes up things often. 

And it's horrible Sekeras would put this out there on the eve of back to play. 

Par for the course for him. People fall for it though. Really all he said was "they have talked about it, he isn't being actively shopped nor is he one the block". Well no s*** they have talked about it, as they should, but that doesn't mean it will happen. They are likely considering all scenarios that don't include trading Horvat, Hughes, or Pettersson. They have talked about letting Markstrom walk, or Toffoli walk, or Tanev walk, trading virtanen, trading Demko and much more I'm sure. It is quite literally their job to talk about these things. It really shouldn't be news.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Par for the course for him. People fall for it though. Really all he said was "they have talked about it, he isn't being actively shopped nor is he one the block". Well no s*** they have talked about it, as they should, but that doesn't mean it will happen. They are likely considering all scenarios that don't include trading Horvat, Hughes, or Pettersson. They have talked about letting Markstrom walk, or Toffoli walk, or Tanev walk, trading virtanen, trading Demko and much more I'm sure. It is quite literally their job to talk about these things. It really shouldn't be news.

Not surprising the usual suspects fall for Sekeres garbage every time. 

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

I just don’t like the idea of Toffoli being a rental, I still hope the team is going to lock him and somehow keep Tofolli and Brock here.

What the Canucks should do is keep Tofolli at a market value deal . Walk from tanev , sign Troy.

Depending on Marky asking price would seriously consider letting him go too and let Ian Clark work his magic with Demko.

This is the casualty of our terrible cap management .2/3 are most likely gone from tyler, Chris, jacob

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, J-23 said:

Anyone that’s okay with giving up those guys for Tofolli to only play 10 games with us, is out of their mind.

Funny how everyone on these forums used to hype Madden up but now that’s he’s gone, he’s overrated.

Toffoli is overrated?

BOESER <<<<<<<<<<< TOFFOLI

Injuries to Boeser should scare the crap out of us. He has gigantic value to bring in a serious developing T3D-T4D.

That Toffoli - Miller duo?

Cup stuff.

Edited by Me_

49 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I don't mind trading Boeser 5.9 million for a top #3 D man..I have said all along Canucks weakest position is defence and strongest deepest position is wing..

To get a top D man that can play beside Hughes for many years under 27 year old will cost a top 3 winger??

Canuck fans defence is weak and getting old -- Trade something good to get something good...Its simple...

No team wants are garbage back....  Either Boeser --- Risto ---- or  package  - Virtanen and Rathbone,  Leivo - --    Risto - 3rd 2020

Only trade Boeser if we can resign Taffoli.....

Remember Defence needs upgrade..

!. Edler 34 - needs to play less minutes to prevent injuries - needs to play only 20 min -- no more 25 minutes, need to watch his minutes.

2. Hughes  20    -- 25 minutes -- star need top end partner   ( Risto, 6'4 - 26 - 25 minute guy)

3.Myers 30  ---- 21 minute guy can match up against other teams top players

4. Tanev 31 soon...UFA -- Had lots of injuries --save 4.5 million ---- Need to move away and trade for similar  player younger and healthier....

5 Stetcher 26 -- 15-18 min guy RFA -- will demand 2.5 million? Like his style but Rafferty could fill this spot for 750,000?

6.. Fentenberg 29 - UFA --  future up in the air? 15 mins

7. Benn 33 --- only 1 season left at 2 million...easy to move him --- 15 min guy

Rafferty -- Briesbois --- Juolevi --- none of these guys ready to be a # 3 D men---  Tryamkin is no #3 D man , maybe # 5...

Rafferty, Rathbone and Woo.  At least one will be the right hand D.  We will find out in 2-3 years.

I am torn on this one. 
Mad that so much money is being wasted on this team that we are looking at trading one of the young pieces to stay afloat.

Brock seems like a great guy but has had a lot of injury issues particularly with his wrist and he lives and dies by his wrist shot. This year just didn’t look the same as a goal scorer though the rest of his game progressed. 
If he can get a young quality right D, and we retain Toffoli I think it is worth it especially with the winger prospects we have. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am torn on this one. 
Mad that so much money is being wasted on this team that we are looking at trading one of the young pieces to stay afloat.

Brock seems like a great guy but has had a lot of injury issues particularly with his wrist and he lives and dies by his wrist shot. This year just didn’t look the same as a goal scorer though the rest of his game progressed. 
If he can get a young quality right D, and we retain Toffoli I think it is worth it especially with the winger prospects we have. 

Well...

OTT

Virtanen

Eriksson

VAN

Cap relief to sign Markstrom AND Toffoli AND Tanev. Whatever the returns are, the deletion IS addition.

Or do the same with Boeser but expect a lesser return due to Eriksson going with him...

What would:

NHL

Boeser

Eriksson

VAN

?

Edited by Me_

It is a reasonable position, and one that I have been saying for months that should be explored.

If Toffoli is interested in signing with us, we could replace Boeser’s production in the top 6.

Obviously if it is a straight up choice between Toffoli and Boeser, you pick Boeser all day long.  It isn’t that simple though.  Not signing Toffoli doesn’t get you anything back.  Signing him and trading Boeser gets you back a really good haul.  Presumably a top 4D and maybe even a cap dump.

We also have to consider that Boeser has a $7.5 million qualifying offer due to him soon and his goal scoring production has gone down instead of up over his first few years.  He is a great player, bit we also don’t have infinite cap space.

If we did the same thing with Virtanen and Demko we could have a ton of cap space available.  We can use that for more Miller type deals down the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

how do you figure? He'd likely bring back a top 5 dman and a first/high end prospect and clear out some cap space, plus TT.  For a guy who was going to struggle to hit 20 goals this season.  That sounds good to me

He's young, coming off injury and has a sick parent. A so-so year was to be expected.

4 hours ago, mll said:

Here's NYI's cap situation: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

They have about 10M with RFAs Barzal, Pulock and Toews to re-sign.  

Who is Toews, and what position does he play? :)

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Boeser needs a playmaker....and Horvat is not a playmaker. He needs a guy that can set him up....maybe play him more often than not with Hughes as a set up man from the backend.

Boeser, in his 3 semi-complete seasons, has more assists than goals. Seems to be a playmaker and a scoroer, to me.

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Asset management is not Benning’s strongest attribute, this is disturbing that they would have to get rid of Brock because of guys like Beagle, Sutter, Ericsson etc, pay they damn picks and get rid of those guys and fire Benning before this gets bad, like Edmonton bad

Who says they "have to get rid of Brock"?

There is cap room for next year, and done properly there is also room for all or most of the bonus carry over.

• Cheers 1

Personally, I think it would be hasty to move Brock now, even if it means bringing back a top 4 d-man. Play out the season (if it actually resumes) and see how he performs when the pressure is amplified and there is less time and space. I think Brock is a gamer and I for one, hope he has many seasons as a Canuck.

I want Benning, his brass and ownership to proceed with patience. 2021, Sutter's contract will be over with (maybe we can move him and his cap hit before then). At the end of 2022, Erickson will be off the books and Luongos cap recapture penalty finished as well. At that time we will be looking at Petey's and Hughes new deals. Who knows what the economic landscape will look like in N.A by then, let alone the NHL and how player salaries will be impacted if an entire season is canceled or fans are too anxious to attend games in the arenas as they used to.

Patience is a virtue. See how Brock continues to grow as a player alongside the rest of the young core and make a decision in a few years time.

HASTY MEMES image memes at relatably.com