The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Toffoli is ready, Eriksson should be the one coming out. He can take a seat as the extra forward. 

On a side note. Is there a practice rink for these teams? Seems that the rinks that have the games played on them are so busy. One would think the teams have some practice ice somewhere, a place injured players can get up to speed.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Someone else commented in the GDT that they got shat on today by a bird.....it’s good luck, so I recommend everyone go outside on Friday looking for birds.

Luckier for some than others... 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

someone needs to go over to HF Board and get "Lucky Larry" (Alf) to come back. I can't, I got banned for trolling but someone can take up the cause. 

Trolling? What did you do? Defend Benning? That place is a cesspool.  I wonder if those guys are still cheering for losses..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Nonsense.

St Louis had 9 shots in the 3rd period - against a team without Edler - and Myers.

That was a gutsy shutdown effort in the 3rd period - they did it by attacking the puck, not sitting on a one goal lead.

Exactly.

What is so shocking about a team getting more shots on goal when they pull their goalie? :picard:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Trolling? What did you do? Defend Benning? That place is a cesspool.  I wonder if those guys are still cheering for losses..

oh yah, I went in hard :lol: I was calling the major haters "Benning Bashers" - that one alone got me 4 warnings I think and really seems to stir the nest. I went on to trash 1040 (who they really love) and I think what the final nail was could have been a post I made about how they all seemed to be thinking this is fantasy hockey and had no concept of what GMs can really do.

I'll tell you what tho, as much fun as it was, it really made me appreciate the moderator group on CDC, they let us have a much bigger leeway and manage to keep a bigger range of ideas going on here. 

• Cheers 3

Canucks played better this game and managed to not be trapped in their own end as much, but they still need to be less passive when defending in their own end.  The Blues don't have any guys that will beat you one on one with moves and speed like Petey and Hughes will.  This was particularly evident after the Blues pulled their goalie.  With a bit more aggressive defending, they'll get the blues to cough up the puck more often and clear the zone.  This was a stellar game by Markstromm, although the O'Reilly goal was weak Marky stopped a lot more that probably should have gone in.  I liked seeing Jake out with Petey and JT - he made the most of it.

9 hours ago, Pickly said:

Pittsburgh won their cup in 2016 without having Letang. Actually, they had Brian Dumolin, Justin Schultz, and a bunch of other misfits. I know we don’t have Sidney Crosby and it’s rare, but you can do it without having a star studded defensive core. 

and we still have Hughes and Tanman

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Fans have to really give Green some props on his lineup last night. Also some serious cred on how he handles Virtanen. Green went with more speed last night and it paid off as the Blues seemed to be back on their heels a lot. Virtanen is still a work in progress. Where he eventually evolves too is still unknown. Bottom line his skills are there it is all about implementation. Speed, heavy game, passing, and both a heavy slapper and wrister. Green sees it but is not willing to settle for less than what Jake can be. 

I thought Green deserved a star last night. 

Really? How did his starting line up do? You know, when we were down 3-1? He finally gives in and puts Jake back up(in the top 6)in the 2nd and instant production. Jake assists on Millers goal and then he ties the game with his own goal. Did you see Greens face when Jake scored? It wasn't elation. 

Then, in the third, he goes back to his old lines(Miller,Petey,Boeser) and relegates Jake back to the 4th line. We again go back on our heels and struggle to keep the puck out of our own zone. Again LE moves back up to the top 6. What !? 

Gaudette looked great as a winger, why did it take him so long to figure that out? He tried the young center to run a line earlier and he didn't do very well. It doesn't take a genius to realize he does not have enough experience to be put in that role yet but he tried it anyway.

Pearson and Boes are struggling right now and he did move them in the second and we instantly looked better, but why put them back in their original lines in the third?

Green seems very pig headed to me and its obvious this is why Jake is being treated much different then the rest of the players. What happened to rewarding good play? Jake gets a goal and an assist and gets relegated to the 4th line again? LE and Pearson get promoted back to the top 6 again? He did the same thing to Jake in the regular season where Jake was scoring at point per game pace. 

Its just like when he refused to put Hughes on the #1 PP. He held off until he had no choice but to switch Hughes and Edler. 

Jake has proven that he can produce when inserted in the top 6 yet Green repeatedly "Punishes" him for some unknown reason or because he is "out of shape"? Give me a break. 

That win last last night was purely because of the character make up of this team, Did you see Markstrom literally "Dive" to make that save? I am not giving Green any props for that. This "TEAM" is where they are right now because of themselves and props should be going to GM Jim Benning for assembling such a great group of guys.