The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 25th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G2

Rate this topic

Roberts

2 hours ago, Western Red said:

I disagree. Reaves isn't a monster. 

You can have issues all you want, but its a common and quite frankly, effective tactic. Especially against a team who is down. It may not be all that honorable.. but one must see (and use) any advantage.

I guess chirping is dirty by today's standards

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Wash said:

Survivor - NHL edition?

Interestingly enough, the lack of audience makes it a bit more clinical.

Like how ridiculous the VGKs look trying to chirp  the other team into what? Shame?

Wrong strategy.

Now we start the decimation. 

Clinically.

14 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s not just numbers but when and what is called. 

you can get more Penalties in your favour but if they are make up calls at the end of a done game they are pointless. Or when you get them in the game you get whistled for one while on the PP so you barely get to use it.

just looking at the numbers for an against will probably show a fairly even figure as the ref game manage these rather than calling lopsided penalty numbers even when warranted 

The other games were:

March 8 vs CBJ, 2-1 Loss (pps were 3-2 for Van. We had a pp in the 2nd half of the 3rd period in a 2-1 game)

Feb 25 vs MTL 4-3 OT Win (pps were 2-1 Van. We had the only 3rd period pp which we tied the game with to win in OT)

Jan 12 vs MIN 4-1 Win (pps were 8-5 Van, including a 5 on 3)

Nov 14 vs DAL 4-2 Loss (pps 3-2 Van, PP was non factor for both teams)

Nov 12 vs NASH 5-3 Win (pps 3-2 Van, Van went 3 for 3 on the PP. Nash was given the last PP in the 3rd and made it a one goal game, Van added an EN)

I'm not sure I watched the Dallas game (I don't remember it at least), but from what I can recall the reffing was pretty average in the rest. Average to the point that you don't really notice the refs.

I think our collective angst against Sutherland is lingering from some terrible calls he made against us years ago. (Sedin vs Marchand, Sedin vs Wingles come to mind). I'm not saying he wasn't being an idiot then, but I don't think (and the numbers support) that it hasn't continued this season. 

Edited by MattJVD

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I guess chirping is dirty by today's standards

Considering how people (over)react to words today, is it at all a surprise?  

Who cares what is said on the ice, as long as race and personal matters (alcoholism, depression, etc.) are left out of it. 

Just use it as inspiration and come back flying tonight, boys!

(FWIW I don't know what was said that has some people riled up over this.  Been too busy to follow the news.)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Vegas is on a 19 and 3 run, hell of a team and tonight will be a big test for us. To win and go far in the playoffs you need to be able to beat different styles of teams. I'm not sure we are ready for a team like Vegas but a lot will be learned from this series either way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Vegas is on a 19 and 3 run, hell of a team and tonight will be a big test for us. To win and go far in the playoffs you need to be able to beat different styles of teams. I'm not sure we are ready for a team like Vegas but a lot will be learned from this series either way.

yup thats the right way to look at this thing. 

Making it down to the final 8 is an amazing accomplishment for where this team is at. Hughes is literally improving every shift. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

19 and 4 has a nice ring to it.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's funny because before these playoffs, it was all "look at our record the past few years, no playoffs, this team is garbage, fire Benning and Green". Now we have made the playoffs, have had moderate success so far and if we get knocked out, it's going to be "why didn't we win the Stanley Cup, bad coaching and need better players, fire Benning and Green".

Seems to be a common theme for these people no matter how things play out. They haven't seen the growth of this team, but yet as soon as we make the playoffs, it's Cup or blow everything up.

Thanks for putting some context to the situation and understanding that we are moving in a positive direction no matter what at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1