The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

4 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The NHL supports hockey in China. I guess its a good thing that the 2 million people being enslaved there right now are not black.

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/08/06/the-nhl-is-looking-for-fan-leaders-in-china-for-new-engagement-program/

I'm done with the NHL.

So you're one of those people that believes in china eh.

36 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Everything I said was factual. But you’re right should probably get this train back on the tracks. Picking Nucks in overtime 3-2!

I suppose. Its like describing the moon landing as "some guys went rock picking". You leave out some important details. But if thats how you view what happened to Floyd there's nothing I can say thats going to move you off that position. 

5 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Ughhh can we leave all this bs talk of black white cops political bull crap and just talk about hockey and what’s going to happen tonight.  Someone make another thread for that then.   

You can talk hockey ... but, for now, it's going to be sprinkled in with another conversation and that's ok.  That needs to happen.

With that, it'll be interesting to see if our momentum was quashed or if the boys can pick up where they left off. 

One thing's for sure...goaltending is HUGE in the playoffs so hope Marky's in his zone.  That gives us a huge advantage when he is.  We tend to allow more shots than we take and that's a big part of our game...relying on him to do his job (well).  Also wonder who they'll put in net.  We're good at chasing goaltenders this playoffs.  It's not an easy gig to hold down the fort in the playoffs.  Lu got ripped when he had a lapse and it's a glaring job in a good/bad way.

13 hours ago, Whalespray said:

Stuff white people say. 

And that’s the point. No one has to comply to an unlawful search/line of questioning/detainment. But one group is treated differently than the other.  White people can say stuff like that, as we’re not generally at risk of being brutalized or killed, unlike a minority (especially in the US)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The NHL supports hockey in China. I guess its a good thing that the 2 million people being enslaved there right now are not black.

https://novacapsfans.com/2020/08/06/the-nhl-is-looking-for-fan-leaders-in-china-for-new-engagement-program/

I'm done with the NHL.

Bye Felicia

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

most injuries are the 4-6 week range, with the very less serious ones being  day to day, and the more serious ones being 2-3 months.  I am assuming it's an upper body injury he has suffered and if he has not practiced with the team yet, he will not play.  Once week at least from  first practice.  don'd hold your breath for him to come back this series.  I guess the break can help.   We were able to get past the blues series without him, the Canucks will have to try to win 3 against the Knights without him. 

Thanks doc!

6 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Ughhh can we leave all this bs talk of black white cops political bull crap and just talk about hockey and what’s going to happen tonight.  Someone make another thread for that then.   

Posts like this are exactly why this conversation needs to happen. Lol. Just brushing off systemic racism like it's a minor inconvenience to a sports game. It's also why I am starting to lean towards just canceling the playoffs.  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can talk hockey ... but, for now, it's going to be sprinkled in with another conversation and that's ok.  That needs to happen.

With that, it'll be interesting to see if our momentum was quashed or if the boys can pick up where they left off. 

One thing's for sure...goaltending is HUGE in the playoffs so hope Marky's in his zone.  That gives us a huge advantage when he is.  We tend to allow more shots than we take and that's a big part of our game...is relying on him to do his job (well).

I think the time off will actually benefit us. It's given Markie a much needed rest and maybe enough of a recharge to carry him through the 2 upcoming B2Bs. That goes for the team as a whole too. I think tonight we'll see the boys flying!

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

I'm done with the NHL.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Posts like this are exactly why this conversation needs to happen. Lol. Just brushing off systemic racism like it's a minor inconvenience to a sports game. It's also why I am starting to lean towards just canceling the playoffs.  

Thing is, then you have a huge pushback from people who aren't on board (yet).

You want a disruption and awakenings...discussion and conversations to take place.  You don't want people to lose their minds (some will) if they feel things are being taken away from them.  Then they go in the complete opposite direction and and pushes them further along the "this is BS" track.  Defeats the purpose more than supports it.

Life goes on (for some of us at least) but it's important not to just let this fade into the background in a thoughts and prayers way.  Actions that are/were taken are to show that people are serious about this.  It HAS to change.  I imagine there are conversations taking place behind the scenes as a result of what has gone down.   Because moneymakers don't like those disruptions that threaten their bank accounts and likely see that it's best to do something that prevents complete shutdowns.

• Cheers 1

Back to hockey though. I’m pretty pumped for the game tonight. Have a couple friends coming over to the Island from Vancouver. 6:30p reservations made at the pub. Horvat jersey ready to go. I think the extra couple days off benefits us more than the Knights. Expecting a fast but hard game. Feeling the boys will come out of this one 3-1. Motte with an EN to put them away 

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I want to first add a disclaimer to my post so that I don't get labelled by anyone as a conservative, and so my words do not get written off right away as being left or right or whatever. I'm not a conservative. I'm not part of the left or right spectrum but rather consider myself a centrist free thinker. I try not to take every sound bite at face value and wait to hear all the evidence before making judgement, which, btw, it won't surprise me in the slightest if the 17yo kid will not be charged with murder, as I do feel now that all the evidence is being brought forth that he was acting in self-defense. I've only ever voted NDP in elections, but I could see myself voting for any party depending on my riding and the direction I believe I'd like to see it go. I'm a progressive who believes in liberal principles. I want police reform as much as anyone else, and I do think that there are some police incidents that are racially charged, but I firmly do not believe that all homicides against black people are because of racism. Ok, here we go...

I disagree that it's a bizarre event, as we're seeing very similar behaviour across North America since; students calling for the cancellation of professors, university presidents and other administration, faculty, etc., is not strictly an Evergreen issue - I work at an Island institution where the outgoing president and provost are both stepping down after student protests against raising international tuition fees, citing the increase as racism against international students. The protests show a clear lack of knowledge about economics or how the post-secondary landscape functions. It was also a mob mentality that shut down any kind of discussion or debate about the subject - they wouldn't hear any of how most of the funds were being allocated towards supporting international students. It was simply racist policies by a racism institution that's run by white people; but let's not get into how diverse this institution is, of course. Now what we're seeing in post-secondary, as well as within the general society, is this same mob mentality towards anyone who may question some ideas being brought forth about what does and does not constitute racism. You can see this in many instances, from cancel culture, to BLM mobs harassing people for not putting their fists up in solidarity of the movement, to the fiery but mostly peaceful protests in the US, to the quick labeling of racism towards posters for benign statements. 

The reason why I pointed out Evergreen is because it hardly made the news when it happened, is something that not many in the general public are aware even happened at all, but an incident that is well-known in academic circles for being the epicentre of wokeness, or at least the OG outcry of wokeness. Btw, have you or anyone else heard much about what's happening in Portland for the last long while? Probably not. Regardless of anyone's political stripes, we should all be questioning every news source, because Fox News is not the only echo chamber out there who reports only what they want their viewers to see. 

Here's the thing about so called police brutality in the US against black people compared to other "races": no matter what statistics you look at, the data doesn't support the claim. In fact, the data shows that it's actually white men who are being killed more often than other races. What happened to George Floyd is wrong and it should never have happened, same as what happened to Tony Timpa. Does anyone here recall Timpa? See it plastered all over CNN for days? The answer is almost certainly no, because it's not as newsworthy as a black man getting the same kind of treatment. 

I'm glad that you watched the talk between Weinstein and John McWhorter, as it's important to also hear black scholars/academics talk about these issues so that people can see that, yes, even black people do no support the constant claims of racism here and racism there. In fact, for a great video on police brutality from a black ex-cop, check this one out: Dave Rubin of The Rubin Report talks to Brandon Tatum. Tatum knows that racism is real (anyone who denies this is delusional), but to say that racism is the cause of all of black people's problems is simply untrue. There are many reasons for inequality in the US and elsewhere other than race, but unfortunately the new narrative of what racism is now simplified to racism as the ultimate cause. 

Merriam-Webster recently added to the definition of racism after a young girl asked them to update their definition, and they did. This may seem innocuous to many, but the ramifications are immense, and here's a first-hand example that I was taught in a politics of race class I once took in university.

Racism is barely about the discrimination towards someone based on race anymore. It is now about a power system that oppresses people based on race. The idea now is that only white people can be racist in the world because only the history of white colonialism oppressed groups of people based on their skin colour e.g. Indigenous peoples, black slavery, Chinese head tax. (Why don't we ever learn about how my Ukranian ancestors were put in internment camps in Canada when they arrived here? Is it because their skin colour was white and it doesn't fit this new definition? Let's let that question marinate.) There is now a belief that reverse racism against white people isn't true, that it's impossible for racism to be expressed towards white people because remember, only white people are racist under the new definition. And in a sense this is, in fact, true, because there's no such thing as reverse racism: racism is racism...

"A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." This is still part of the definition, so why do so many people ignore all the racism against white people these days? As soon as someone says what I just typed they yell and scream racism towards the person who said it. I forget where I heard this, but it was a statement that made me go hmmm (I'm paraphrasing): there is a large portion of the population these days that do not want to end oppression but rather want to flip the table of oppression. It makes me think of Hannah Arendt in her piece On Violence, in that she states that you can't fight violence with more violence. Well, you can't fight racism and oppression with more racism and oppression. Here's a recent story about black students demanding black only student housing at NYU: https://reason.com/2020/08/24/black-nyu-students-segregated-housing-race/. The university said no. There is a program now where I work that gives priority admission for Indigenous, Black, and other intersectional groups of colour. Last time I checked, this is actually a form of systemic racism, as it's being put into policy against a group of people based on race. 

I've already gone on way too long within this GDT, but I hope you can see that there is so much more than what people are seeing is going on in the news. This topic is incredibly convoluted and is so much more than simply being (sorry) black or white. 

"In fact, the data shows that it's actually white men who are being killed more often than other races."

Maybe, that is because there are more white guys than coloured folk?

I'm reasonably sure, if you correct for representation you will find coloured/black folk get shot more often by police, get pulled over more by police, get charge more often by prosecuting attorneys and get convicted more often by judges.

In fact there have been a few studies outlining this.

4 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

I think the time off will actually benefit us. It's given Markie a much needed rest and maybe enough of a recharge to carry him through the 2 upcoming B2Bs. That goes for the team as a whole too. I think tonight we'll see the boys flying!

I 100 % agree. They played like 12 games in 20 nights. Im sure Bettman was choked at the stoppage giving the Canucks a 4 day pause. The 2 b2b's are in my mind an effort to put pressure on a few teams as well as help Vegas Boston. I wish i could see it another way but History tells me they want all Canadian teams out.

9 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

The problem now is the revised schedule gives him 2 back-to-back games if the series goes to 7 games. Demko has played something like 8 minutes since July. Vegas has the edge in tandems If it goes to 7 given how many shots we give up.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Has the idea ever been floated that perhaps this season was a bit of a sophomore slump for Petey?

I get that it’s a ridiculous thought at face value because he had such an excellent season.

But it seems to me there was some greater dynamic (flash) in his game in his rookie season that seems to be re-emerging once again after the break.

I was so thinking that watching his shot and highlight reel goals from his rookie season. He is back!!!!!!!! Getting better every series. Expect him to blow a slap shot by Vegas soon.

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I 100 % agree. They played like 12 games in 20 nights. Im sure Bettman was choked at the stoppage giving the Canucks a 4 day pause. The 2 b2b's are in my mind an effort to put pressure on a few teams as well as help Vegas Boston. I wish i could see it another way but History tells me they want all Canadian teams out.

Time for Green to trust Demko imo. Marky has been stellar but he can't be given two back to backs in a week. If Demko can play well the Canucks can take this series imo.