The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

How does one go from "I don't want to be murdered by police and have them be unpunished or free of consequence" to " it's all a ploy by the fascist-marxists?" (lol) 

How does one equate the two?

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, dexterwang said:

I truly dislike BLM because I have spent thousands of hours helping minority communities. I worked with minority communities in San Fransico and Vancouver’s DTES In the Canadian aboriginal community where there is tremendous disparity, we have long discussions on healing, family building, cultural values, education values, etc, on top of fixing systemic biases against them in healthcare and policing. 

BUT for some absolutely stupid reason, we cannot have any discussion beyond systemic biases when it comes to the African American community. If you want to talk culture, family, education, you would be call a racist by BLM. If you want to solve black on black crime which is the number 1 cause of preventable black deaths, you are a racist. You can only talk about bad cops. 

Your naive misinformed good intentions only hurt the black community. Moreover, BLM website and founders have stated they are a Marxist movement. That they are against a nuclear family and capitalism. It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing and everyone bought it. 

I wish BLM was Marxist because maybe then they'd emphasize the economic rather than the moral side of this question.  But increasingly they're just a front for the neoliberal Democratic Party that is as committed to draining wealth from the 99% as the Republicans.  Most racialized disadvantage is intensified and displaced class disadvantage, which is what really needs to end.  I'm not into moralizing at desperate white people in rust belt areas whose life expectancy is plummeting just like I don't blame people of colour for their high rates of social exclusion.  Nobody chooses to have a broken life. 

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But are there underlying factors that go beyond the "single parent" deal that is only the surface "reason" for this.

Like the stigma that follows that?  That could be removed, with children of single parent families not having to feel shame somehow for statistical information?  Not just the sadness of losing a parent...but what they encounter out there in the world as they're compared to "normal" families.  That it's how we receive them as a society and judge them like somehow they're flawed?

Maybe it's not the single families issue but one of how we accept one another?  Support one another?

Maybe the answer isn't to focus on keeping families together (which can be very bad...some learn about another side of their spouse AFTER marriage) and putting more emphasis on creating a society that doesn't judge people so much/easily?  Not seeing "wealth" as something that makes a person "better" than another simply based on bank account and assets.  Understanding that, often, it's the opposite because there's a sense of entitlement involved?  Where the haves feel that the have nots don't belong.

My point is that maybe it's not just having one parent that's the issue.  It's how people accept those families that don't have as much...it can becomes a matter of being a personal strike against them and maybe it shouldn't be.

Maybe instead of welfare there should be more emphasis on providing scholarships/money for kids educations?  Instead of sneering at people who need help ... try to help?

Oh if I had offended you or what I was saying brought shame toward you that was not my intent. I apologize if I did. 

I was just being blunt and putting it as plainly as I know. 

Kudos to you for raising kids by yourself. IDK your family situation but can understand that it is tough to do and you gotta be a good mother to do it right which I am sure you’re. 

Also I have my doubts that Canada is as bad as the US with this. 

The solutions to be had are hard to come by.  The loss of a father/mother figure in a single parent household could be acquired through outside sources. Such as family(grandparent/uncle/aunt/etc) or family friend. A social program putting social workers helping kids have that sort of perspective they’re missing could be created. 

finically speaking that is tougher solution. Welfare helps create a negative sort of mentality that single parent households can abuse. Having two solid parents is the only solution really but how you get there is an incredibly tough question.

Not having kids too soon, finishing high school, getting a job out of high school would be a good start but that requires people to make good choices when they are in poor environments in the US and can be influenced by said environment. 

See how solutions are really hard to come by in regards to this?

that’s why I think it’s a war on two fronts with helping black people. Policing is easy to fix, the community and getting rid of crime is a lot harder.  And both need to be tackled to stop these sort of incidents. 

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Oh yeah, it won't be quick.  Just think of how long it will take to get enough politicians on the same page to do some good for the situation!

Cheers :) 

Politicians are the problem. In the US the last time you had any real bi-partisanship was the early 90's. Think about it, that was more than 25 years ago. Anyone entering Congress these days can't even recall a time of anything other than hyper partisanship. It's their 'normal'.

They have replaced the Tip O'Neil's with Matt Gaetz's and Rashida Talib's. Any wonder it's a total sh** show?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It was once percieved that a "threat" actually had to be facing you with a weapon in hand in order to authorize the use of "Lethal Force". I guess this has changed or its interpreted differently now? There are many ways that an officer can get the job done but lethal force should be the last resort not the "go-to". 

If a suspect has his back to you, you are at the advantage because he doesn't know where you are. It is not wise to approach the suspect and put yourself in more danger. If you are perceiving danger as an officer then you must protect yourself, get behind your vehicle, wait for back up or in the very least, distance yourself from the danger area. 

If you are pulling out your lethal weapon and walking towards the danger, I don't think your intention is to deescalate the situation.

Go to youtube and search "Knife vs cop" and look at some training videos. Watch how fast someone with a knife can reach a cop who doesnt take it seriously. It is scary. Edit: Actually search "21 foot rule". Here is a video. A lot of people who see a cop shoot a black person 21 feet away with a knife would say it was excessive, but look at this video.

Edited by DonaldBrashear
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I get why you deny it but let facts speak for themselves.

received_1768466223291427.jpeg.7a19267a2dbbd4d2ebc801680b6a328c.jpeg

@kilgore

Please find me a clip of a Republican forcing you to use specific words, hand gestures or ideologies and if you don't you face thre wrath of the angry mob. 

Democrats or Republicans dont do that.

When will people realize it's not us vs them. You claim to hate racism but turn around and hate Republicans. The most hypocritical stance you can take, great job.

Edited by Moose Nuckle

25 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

bro, you can't lay blame the actions of a few rioters on the millions of peaceful BLM supporters.

I don't believe that Bernie number, at all, and its been debunked btw: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/donations-to-black-lives-matter-group-dont-go-to-dnc/

I haven't been able to find it, but it was a graph on vox.com of the blm donations to politicians. Some lefty video i saw on youtube.

Im not blaming the actions on blm protestors.

I firmly believe antifa is the group burning everything. 

Go look at the videos of the looting in new york.

Who is predominantly doing the smash and grabs?

Just like that kyle kid, he was shown protecting blm protestors.

Protecting buildings and property.

Then a white male started screaming at the kid as he protected blm. 

Then thats when the shootings went down, i dont agree with any violence or destruction of anything. 

Burning, murders and looting are not the way to change things that are negative in the usa.

Peaceful protest and open discussions are how change is instituted. Democracy!

Just now, kilgore said:

Yup, one of the Republicans most used tactics.

No, say what you will about any politician or policy on either side, the Democrats have a near monopoly on projection.  Both sides have their faults and flaws, but the Democrat side is where to go if you want to be fed projection and pretend it tastes good.

How on earth any party can call Trump a racist and then run Biden as their candidate is beyond me.

Now watch this guy take a knee and let's all gather around and cheer about what a racist Trump is.

• Cheers 2