The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

21 minutes ago, swizzey said:

I am all for black lives matter. But unfortunately black lives matters doesn’t actually mean black lives matter. It is a strategic ploy.

the bla

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

They're essentially a political party now. They've received hundreds of millions of dollars and I'm wondering when they'll get around to helping rebuild the black businesses in Minneapolis. 

Not holding my breathe on it, though. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I post a legit meme and you’re telling me I’m saying white men are smarter then black men.. nice one dude. Black men make up roughly 7% of the population and commit roughly 50% of the homicides. Choosing to kill someone is a bad choice. Not doing what you’re told when being arrested is a bad choice too. We can disagree and that’s fine. But don’t completely spin something to make nasty accusations like I think white people are smarter than black people. Cmon man

The meme assumes all 3 men started off at the same point and where they ended up was purely based on the decisions they made. Where you start has a major effect on where you end up.

Would you rather be born into a stable, middle class household in the suburbs or in the ghetto to an unemployed/undereployed single mom? Which of those two options offers the better chance regardless of choices?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I really wanna watch some hockey tbh, but i fully support them not playing. Hopefully the movement leads to fundamental change in society and institutions, I'm not gonna hold my breath but you never know.

Also can we all just take a minute to show some appreciation to the Boston Bruins. I know they get a lot of hate in these parts, but not turning up on Wednesday when everyone else was still playing took a lot of balls.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Quite honestly some of the fault lies at the various police agencies. I used to work in the oilsands and northeast BC and in many of the camps the security were ex- RCMP officer in their 50's and 60's. They were amazing communicators and in a camp of 2000 men 2 or 3 of them could handle any issue because they were diplomatic and were able to problem solve. They told me it used to be any new recruit would be paired with a senior office for training and when working or on patrol. The problem was they were more and more being required to do office work and paperwork which bogged them down (not to mention the lousy salaries they received based on their workload) Add onto that the mental stress from working a field with high stress and the fact they could leave, collect a pension and work in the private sector for more money and less stress. The answer isnt to defund police forces - it's allowing more public input and transparency, better training on mental health and self care and proper funding.

Thanks for your insight, Bossy. 

The diplomacy that should come with policing is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be. Pairing a young officer with a senior officer is essential to ensuring that the traditions of diplomacy and community service are continued. Instead, it seems like a free for all with no clear objectives at times. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think this guy here probably knows more about racism than any of us. 

Why would you say that.. he's a rich Hollywood actor. How do you know what any if us (There are probably at least a couple of thousand CDC members) have or have not gone thru as far as racism goes..

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The meme assumes all 3 men started off at the same point and where they ended up was purely based on the decisions they made. Where you start has a major effect on where you end up.

Would you rather be born into a stable, middle class household in the suburbs or in the ghetto to an unemployed/undereployed single mom? Which of those two options offers the better chance regardless of choices?

I was raised by a poor single mother. Along with my brother and sister. Who died shortly after I moved out when I was 18. My brother now has two degrees and is an engineer. My sister works in healthcare and I own my own business. Blaming your environment only goes so far. 

They keep stressing to have conversations with your family and talk about it, but I'm not really sure what to talk about. My wife and I are both the same, we like good, nice people, don't care what they look like. Have no use for the a-holes.  So, what do we talk about? It's obvious what we see in the news and read in the paper isn't right. Is there more I should be doing? If so, what is it?

Maybe these conversations we're supposed to have are geared more towards parents of younger kids and teens? In hopes that they grow up with an awareness and be the change?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I was raised by a poor single mother. Along with my brother and sister. Who died shortly after I moved out when I was 18. My brother now has two degrees and is an engineer. My sister works in healthcare and I own my own business. Blaming your environment only goes so far. 

Sounds like you had a great mom who was a great support. Not everyone is so lucky.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Sorry but going to call bull$&!# on this - we need to stop saying its choices that define where we end up. Do a bit of research before posting ridiculous little memes like this. Using this philosophy black men choose to get shot by police at a higher number than white men? And incarcerated at a higher rate. So basically you are saying white men are smarter than black men because they make better choices?

I don’t see anything wrong with this meme I was born into what you would call the ghetto of Edmonton I have friends who have been killed white and black friends who have spent years behind bars I myself have been there as a juvenile but made choices in my live that they refused to and have a happy family owning new  veichles and house so yes it is 100% the live choices you make. Maybe you have not been there but I have and I agree it’s all on you with who and what you want to be.

1 minute ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Good for you and you siblings.  

Your mother did a great job raising you guys. She left way too early.  RIP.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Come on - you do not see at all that being born a certain ethnicity pre-determines your starting point in life? You truly believe we all start equal and its just bad choices that determine whether or not we end up in a life of crime etc?

@SergioMomesso it's funny, I feel like police attracts 50% of good honest people that want to do good, or finish the army and look for something to do...  and about 50% of people that are just hungry for power and want to exert it over others.  

I will say one thing, most of the scary and violent crimes don't make it on TV/radio locally.  My friend was an RCMP officer for 5 years and had to quit due to PTSD.  He would have to respond to calls where there was a baby that was killed, and said there were tons of arrests that were made where guys were rolling around with AK47s, and that was on the outskirts of Lower Mainland.  

I've seen my brown friend get picked on by police here multiple times during the 90s and early 2000s.  I've had mostly good experience except for one time, but that was a long time ago.  

26 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

The point is not 7 shots or 6 shots missed, there is shooting from the back.

I really like to watch the Canucks playoff game to-night  (I already prepared beer), but I support the postponement due to this civil right issue.

I just can't believe people want to support a man that was armed with a knife trying to get into a vehicle with kids, with keys he had stolen from their mother...after being told to drop the knife.

They should have let him take the car with the kids?

He was clearly armed with a Karambit before getting to the car.

• Upvote 1