The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

10 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I post a legit meme and you’re telling me I’m saying white men are smarter then black men.. nice one dude. Black men make up roughly 7% of the population and commit roughly 50% of the homicides. Choosing to kill someone is a bad choice. Not doing what you’re told when being arrested is a bad choice too. We can disagree and that’s fine. But don’t completely spin something to make nasty accusations like I think white people are smarter than black people. Cmon man

While I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a "legit meme" that was pretty much the inference I took from it too. You're saying race doesn't affect people's life chances but then say black men are far more likely to commit homicide, so logically they must be making bad decisions?

54 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Western societies have been improving incrementally in race relations for decades. The conditions for blacks to succeed in American society have never been better. Room for improvement? Absolutely. It's difficult to take a societal issues and mandate legislative fixes for them. Society has a far better chance of repairing itself that political interference does. After all, peace is in the hearts of men. It's not 1965 Alabama anymore, we've gotten better. Keep striving. 

Black lives matter???? That is another prejudice statement as well what bout other nationalities????? It suppose to say ALL lives matter!!!!! Hate crime sucks WE All BLEEED  RED on the inside!!!!!!! So stop hating and start loving 

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sounds like you had a great mom who was a great support. Not everyone is so lucky.

Very, very true. Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Good for you and you siblings.  

Your mother did a great job raising you guys. She left way too early.  RIP.

She sure did. Thanks mate. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Black lives matter???? That is another prejudice statement as well what bout other nationalities????? It suppose to say ALL lives matter!!!!! Hate crime sucks WE All BLEEED  RED on the inside!!!!!!! So stop hating and start loving 

Okay we can stop now. No one is going to post anything as stupid as this.

I particularly like how it has no relation to what it's supposedly replying to. Kudos my friend.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

I just can't believe people want to support a man that was armed with a knife trying to get into a vehicle with kids, with keys he had stolen from their mother...after being told to drop the knife.

They should have let him take the car with the kids?

He was clearly armed with a Karambit before getting to the car.

He brought those kids to that location, got out of the car without the knife and left those kids alive. Seems unlikely he would then decide to harm those kids, while the cops were there, at least to me.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I was raised by a poor single mother. Along with my brother and sister. Who died shortly after I moved out when I was 18. My brother now has two degrees and is an engineer. My sister works in healthcare and I own my own business. Blaming your environment only goes so far. 

I think the key as others have pointed out is you had an amazing mother who was there to raise you. And I guarantee she worked very hard and gave up so much so that you and your siblings had the best life possible. My father was an alcoholic and he and my mother separated when i was 13. My mom worked her ass off to provide for my two sisters and I. I learned from her to make sacrifices and make sure my children did not go without all while putting myself through college. 

The point I am trying to make (and I want to apologize as I misinterpreted what you were trying to communicate in your meme) is environment does affect what happens in a person's life and where they end up. Look no further than residential school and the attempted assimilation of an entire race to what white people wanted them to be and how to behave.

Topics do get heated but debate is healthy and I hope you and I can continue to do this because ultimately debate is what is needed to discover how we can fix what is happening today.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I guess one nutcase speaks for them all. Am I right?

I Never said that Qwags, you said they have evolved as a movement.

Her comments are from july 2020.

Is this not hate speech propagating divide between white and black culture?

If this were say, a conservative white male saying blacks are subhuman. He'd be roasted alive as he should be.

Why is it acceptable for a equal rights group founder, who sets chapter guidelines, a leader in the community to make blatantly racist comments?

50 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So here’s the thing. 
If they are re-elected, they’ll turn Nazi fast.

If they can keep this to civil unrest, then they may turn toward Canada.

Hitler is back and Canada may well be the Sudetenland of this Era.

He said as much as a joke in a pre-election convention. In justifying getting out of expensive wars overseas, Trump passed a meat cookie to his rabid fans and insinuated that invading Canada would be less costly with an on-brand arrogant testing-the-crowd quote “Should we invade Canada?” to which thankfully the people that formed the crowd was too dumb to even register what the hell the Orange atrocity had just said and just cheered on queue.

Take away everything from everyone but let them have their guns.

The subsequent love crumbs will be spectacular. I expect Trumpspacecopters to shoot Southernglag ice cream to beggars long removed from a life once worth living.

Civil War or Invasion, this is a world changing election either way.

I support Trump. You going to cancel me?

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

He brought those kids to that location, got out of the car without the knife and left those kids alive. Seems unlikely he would then decide to harm those kids, while the cops were there, at least to me.

He clearly had a karambit as he walked to the drivers side door after fighting the police...

Police were called there because he stole his ex's keys and violating a restraining order, now not sure if he was coming to get the van, drove there in the van.

Why unlikely he would harm the kids after fighting with an ex, usually that's when people lash out at children to hurt others...and why get in the vehicle holding a knife?

Edited by shad0w4life

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I heard that as well but far less.  Lets just say a team from Sooke were really bad in a multitude of ways... 

I think we heard the Oreo line comment every road game one year in Bantam AAA.  

baseball, soccer, hockey.

Baseball was the worst.

Soccer i didn't understand the foreign curses.

Hockey was the same people doing it over and over. Numerous dad's were banned from team events/games.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Okay we can stop now. No one is going to post anything as stupid as this.

I particularly like how it has no relation to what it's supposedly replying to. Kudos my friend.

You should post more often.

Edited by nuckin_futz

45 minutes ago, Toews said:

I have never felt so threatened by the cops that I won't freely speak my mind especially when I know I have done nothing wrong. I will treat a cop the same as I treat any other human being, reciprocating the same level of respect they have shown me. They don't get elevated in status and power just because they are carrying a gun and badge. Your method seems way too subservient to me, people shouldn't get threatened with deadly force because they "talked back" and "gave attitude". Cops should also maintain their professionalism at all times and should be held accountable if they escalate a situation. 

Good luck with that. They do get elevated status because they are putting their lives on the line for us. They are put in situations multiple times a day where their lives and safety are threatened. They’re not questioning you for poops and giggles. Show some damn respect and do as you’re told. If you’re innocent, the time to sort that out is at the police station. If they truly think you’re guilty, do you think they’re going to let you go just because you gave them attitude and said you’re not? What’s to be gained by doing that? It’s only making the situation worse. The cops aren’t the ones who escalate, it’s the people who give attitude and resist. The minute you do that  YOU’VE escalated the situation, not them.

Edited by mayor MCcheese

12 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Nowhere does the Black lives Matter movement ever say other lives don't matter. They are calling attention to the fact that Black men and women are much more likely to be killed by police etc. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I think these numbers are accurate. Although it doesn't give the true picture as certain demographics are more populous so of course their numbers will be higher. the proportional percentages give a more clear image. 

Yeah 4 times the population % but the numbers I saw were for projected by 2044 albeit, but whites were 49% where black were only 12% so fair point indeed 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They keep stressing to have conversations with your family and talk about it, but I'm not really sure what to talk about. My wife and I are both the same, we like good, nice people, don't care what they look like. Have no use for the a-holes.  So, what do we talk about? It's obvious what we see in the news and read in the paper isn't right. Is there more I should be doing? If so, what is it?

Maybe these conversations we're supposed to have are geared more towards parents of younger kids and teens? In hopes that they grow up with an awareness and be the change?

Actions DO speak louder then words, Nucker.  I live alone so I got nobody to talk to haha 

I think the main takeaway that I've had while talking with my black buddies over the last few months is that even though we feel like Canada is not bad, there are still instances where somebody will come out of nowhere and say something race related.

We're also seeing how United States impacts the entire world because everybody follows their culture and news so much.  I have friends that do nothing but watch CNN, and it's kind of foolish because they should be more involved in our own country then watching the political (cheap) entertainment.  

It will be interesting to see what changes come out of this for them down there.  Overhauling the police system is not easy.  A lot of it is also a product of their extreme capitalism where the top 1% will have the large majority of the wealth.  Economic factors are huge when it comes to crime and violence.  I recently saw that there were 80 people shot on the July 4th weekend ONLY IN CHICAGO!  That was a mind boggling number.  Of course, poverty is a complex issue and there's no simple solution for it.  

While I'm having this conversation with you Nucker, I gotta say that most of the racism that I've seen around me in Vancouver has been directed at Asian people (Indian and Chinese).  They were usually snide, underhanded comments, etc...   Myself, I got called "that thing", FOB and a few other things in my time in Canada as I came here as a refugee, but it's water under the bridge for me at this point.