The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Proved Me Wrong

Rate this topic

CallAfterLife

On 10/7/2020 at 12:29 AM, canuck73_3 said:

No one said Conference final, they said 3rd round which this season was the truth. 

Third round is misleading, the same as being a .500 team.

You know this is the perfect title.

Does good and he proved me wrong

Does bad and he proved me wrong

Edited by Lazurus

There’s a ton of pressure on him next season, let’s face it the Canucks were trending out of the playoffs before covid.

No doubt Frankies eyes lit up when he saw what the Canucks did this year, I wonder what his minimum standard is going into next year 

In all honesty... Due to the current financial landscape, I'm glad JB is watching how the market is developing before he jumps in.  Some of these buyouts are very intriguing.  Some quality players can be signed for minimal cost this year.   Maybe as a result of OEL outcome JB is holding but regardless, it's smart to wait.  I was worried he'd dive in and miss out on value players available during FA.  So far so good!  See what tomorrow brings.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

No it isn't they played 3 rounds of playoffs. Period end of story. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lazurus said:

We played 3 rounds but made it to round two. It was listed as Play In Round then Round One, Round Two, etc. So we won two rounds (play in and round 1) but lost in the 2nd round. Just to make it really confusing. But the play in round counted towards player playoff stats. So no matter what you call it three rounds were played.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 10/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, oldnews said:

"you said", "you said"....  your need to fabricate fantasy/straw conversations is....your m.o.

You'll never find a post of mine saying "losing ruins young players". 

Try engaging with what people actually say - just quote something.

Whenever I spend time to find your quotes you've 100% of the time ignored them or replied with some silly gif instead of saying "oh yeah I did say that.". So I'm not wasting my time yet again. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, Baggins said:

We played 3 rounds but made it to round two. It was listed as Play In Round then Round One, Round Two, etc. So we won two rounds (play in and round 1) but lost in the 2nd round. Just to make it really confusing. But the play in round counted towards player playoff stats. So no matter what you call it three rounds were played.

It is just the context of saying they made the 3rd round of the playoffs or third round at all. In this unique year an extra series was played to filter out the extra 8 teams allowed into a modified playoffs.

It could be something of the future as well, where a team or teams for to an area and play all the games vs each other at once

I was surprised by Benning today, no panic so far and he commented on getting under the cap, the moves so far do look like a step back and looking at the future financially, that, to me, is something he has never done, contracts with no restraint, today he showed restraint and didn't over pay or wait too long

Edited by Lazurus
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

I was surprised by Benning today, no panic so far and he commented on getting under the cap, the moves so far do look like a step back and looking at the future financially, that, to me, is something he has never done, contracts with no restraint, today he showed restraint and didn't over pay or wait too long

To be fair, it's hard to overspend on free agents when you don't even have cap room to resign your own players.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, kanucks25 said:

Since it's considered a fact that Benning was hamstrung by Kesler's 2-team list, I think it's only fitting that Benning acquires OEL for pennies on the dollar given his 2-team list.

;) Let's see.

Swing and a miss.

Time for Benning to do what he hasn't been able to do in the 6 years he's been here: acquire capable NHL level D-men. And not just any D-men, D-men that belong on an legit NHL contender.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Swing and a miss.

Time for Benning to do what he hasn't been able to do in the 6 years he's been here: acquire capable NHL level D-men. And not just any D-men, D-men that belong on an legit NHL contender.

*provided we can still afford our core later on

• Cheers 1

Earlier in the year I was going to make a thread title it 'crossroads' and ask people if they would rather prefer signing Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev or Virtanen, Demko and Stecher. I thought at the time (and still do today) the latter gave us a better shot to win long term. Despite how encouraging the team's performance was, we also saw the current team max out, Petey and Hughes are going to get better but that isn't going to make the veteran depth pieces around them any younger. Signing more aging players to long term contracts was simply not feasible considering our cap predicament. If Benning thought this team was ready to compete he would be singing a different tune about moving futures in order to move out cap but he specifically ruled that out which means I think he expects that the flat cap will result in a transitional period for the Canucks. For me this drop-off was expected when Petey and Hughes signed their big deals, but the combination of poor cap management (for which Benning does deserve blame despite the protests of his biggest fans), an unforseen pandemic (flat cap) and the Luongo recapture all played a part in accelerating that time line. Signings that we made in free agency were useful role players but they came at a cost that was far too high. Tampa paid 1st round picks this year for Barlcay Goodrow and Blake Coleman, useful depth pieces on reasonable contracts. I believe there is considerable work to be done to this roster if we want it to see progress into a powerhouse like the Lightning. I see them currently as light years ahead of us.

This is where we see how good of a GM Benning really is, with Petey and Hughes we will never fall low enough in the draft to select blue-chip prospects, so Benning will likely be picking in the teens. Drafting moving forward will be key to improving this team. Of course we will also have to hope that the riskier bets we are making pan out, looking and Virtanen and Demko in particular. We should get a big boost if Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi and Rathbone pan up to expectations. Maybe we can nab a free agent next year when money comes off the books.

It might be I am getting ahead of myself and Benning decides to find an adequate replacement for Tanev. I hope that I can say that I was wrong and Benning has an ace up his sleeve. 

53 minutes ago, Toews said:

It might be I am getting ahead of myself and Benning decides to find an adequate replacement for Tanev. I hope that I can say that I was wrong and Benning has an ace up his sleeve. 

he's a garbage general manager.  The accumulated bad signings have lead him to this point.  He had no room to sign Chris Tanev that's haw bad it is, and now he is paying the price, his team paying the price and the Canucks next season will pay the price with probably not making the playoffs.  There is no replacement right now, the only player similar in terms of what they bring to an defensive game is Travis Hamonic, that's it.    His plan was actually Shattenkirk but he has no interest in playing in Canada.  JB screwed up, big time, and now he's facing the consequences.

screw you Jim Benning. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lazurus said:

It is just the context of saying they made the 3rd round of the playoffs or third round at all. In this unique year an extra series was played to filter out the extra 8 teams allowed into a modified playoffs.

It could be something of the future as well, where a team or teams for to an area and play all the games vs each other at once

I'm okay with not overpaying and creating a team atmosphere when it comes to contracts, but you need to figure those contracts out and whether you'll be able to afford them at the deadline. If he knew he wasn't gonna be able to keep Tanev, he should have been traded. 

30 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm okay with not overpaying and creating a team atmosphere when it comes to contracts, but you need to figure those contracts out and whether you'll be able to afford them at the deadline. If he knew he wasn't gonna be able to keep Tanev, he should have been traded. 

It's been 6 years now, Benning has unloaded vets once during the entire rebuild (Burrows and Hansen). It's not his MO, especially in a year he probably thought he needed to sniff the playoffs for his own job security.

Thus far, he hasn't really shown to have creative strategies when it comes contracts, team building, etc. Pretty much just sees what holes he has on his roster every summer and signs free agents to fill them with not much foresight.

IMO the one very important this management team seems to lack is the understanding of opportunity cost, which has led to cap problems. We've been operating at almost full cap capacity during Benning's entire tenure despite being a bottom-feeding team for most of it. This has meant little flexibility, little room for mistakes, and little insulation for unpredictable circumstances like the Luongo penalty and the flat cap. It's understandable when you're a legit contender and going all in for it, because at that point it doesn't make sense to be passive, but we haven't been contending.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Today Benning avoided incurring $54 million dollars of salary burden on two players. Markstrom may provide good return on investment for most of his contract, but Tanev is Tanev and he does get injured a lot, so maybe that's an overpay. In any event, the signal is that Vancouver is going with a young lineup and management would rather sacrifice serviceable veterans in order to change the face of the franchise. Still, I'd look for Benning to undo his remarkable display of day one restraint by doing something goofy on day two. I really hope it isn't Tyson Barrie for too much money and term.

• Like 1

So far I give his off season performance a grade of D.

He was quite good last season but, as people said, his lack of creativity with trades and past moves really hurt him. His signings have pretty much wasted around 20 million in cap space that could have been put to better use to help the young team (who probably have to take a step back now that Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher, and Toffoli walked due to cap issues). So that's another wasted year with this team's core. 

Add that Benning couldn't even get another pick in the draft. I know people say it's easier said than done but, if this was another GM, they would have gotten something more out the situation Benning was in.  

Also for people saying this was just hindsight it was not. Hockey experts and analysts like Ray Ferraro and the late Jason Botchford warned this would happen down the line. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So far I give his off season performance a grade of D.

He was quite good last season but, as people said, his lack of creativity with trades and past moves really hurt him. His signings have pretty much wasted around 20 million in cap space that could have been put to better use to help the young team (who probably have to take a step back now that Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher, and Toffoli walked due to cap issues). So that's another wasted year with this team's core. 

Add that Benning couldn't even get another pick in the draft. I know people say it's easier said than done but, if this was another GM, they would have gotten something more out the situation Benning was in.  

Also for people saying this was just hindsight it was not. Hockey experts and analysts like Ray Ferraro and the late Jason Botchford warned this would happen down the line. 

There are a number of underwhelming contracts on the books-thats true.  

However,  JB is showing just how shrewd he intends to be with this young improving team.  

If the Canucks roll the dice with a bunch of young guys I applaud it.  Give the guys who can play a legit chance. And if it's a condensed season why not get that youth energy in the line up as well.

If it goes south it will be stealth tank job for 22-23 when you really start going for it.     

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3