The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Proved Me Wrong

Rate this topic

CallAfterLife

On 9/2/2020 at 8:51 AM, brownky said:

I was a huge fan of the Beagle signing, but I'm also a Washington fan so I knew what he brought to the table. He's exactly as advertised.

I'm still a fan of the signing. The guy has rings. He was a *key* piece of the Washington win. He's a fitness and work ethic machine and nothing but a good influence on the younger players for that aspect.

Benning's early signings were mostly duds. Swing.... and a miss. But he seems to have learned. I like the Myers signing, they needed size on the back end... so Benning goes out and gets the "biggest" giraffe available.

Eriksson (and indeed every signing from that FA pool for every team) was a major miss, but it is what it is. Luongo screwed us, and it's unfortunate that Baertshi couldn't quite keep it there, at "what he was" he would have made a dandy 2nd line winger on this team. But alas, no dice.

I like what he's done, and I like the trend the team is going. Win or lose, they're doing well.

You know, thanks for showing some intelligence, some people seem to shut theirs off and then type away...

As for LE, there was a huge expectation that the guy would rip it up with the twins since he did so well for the B's but there wasn't a lot to pick from at the time and as always, we had to overpay to bring someone in and this is not new, if it wasn't for the state of the team for so long being lame etc, I think JB was handcuffed with a NTC if he was to come here at all.. so after LE was in Boston and played so well that it seemed like a no brainer... Yes there's exceptions but for the most part we had a laughable team and some reallyyyyyy stupid media and fans who follow them next to blindly. Honestly if I was a player in the nhl, until now, money wouldn't have mattered, I'd have said forget it.

The bottom 6 that some have been complaining about was aimed at being (on Ice) mentors especially to the young guys going forward and the playoff's this year proved it worked.

7JB was looking ahead to maturing our young guys asap so our opening window had better chances of success as we move forward, now as those contracts fall of the books, they leave behind other work they did on and off the ice. Did we need that? Hell ya! Bigtime! Do we need it today? Sort of, but it's mostly been done, and as we move forward, we'll have a team worth watching...

Finally, we're around the same position we were when Gillis had us a few tweaks away the year the cap came in but some misses he did were ones no GM would have saw coming, sadly back then with LE we had to give him a NTC to play with the twins and at least make us kind of entertaining to watch until the slate was clear and it will be but at least JB didn't try to please the status quo and build a great seasonal team that wouldn't do $&!# in the playoffs and no depth.. like it's always been, yeah we had 2 shots but we lost both due to lack of depth but that's all changed and you think that would be enough but let the haters hate and laugh at them later..

On 9/2/2020 at 8:51 AM, brownky said:

I was a huge fan of the Beagle signing, but I'm also a Washington fan so I knew what he brought to the table. He's exactly as advertised.

I'm still a fan of the signing. The guy has rings. He was a *key* piece of the Washington win. He's a fitness and work ethic machine and nothing but a good influence on the younger players for that aspect.

Benning's early signings were mostly duds. Swing.... and a miss. But he seems to have learned. I like the Myers signing, they needed size on the back end... so Benning goes out and gets the "biggest" giraffe available.

Eriksson (and indeed every signing from that FA pool for every team) was a major miss, but it is what it is. Luongo screwed us, and it's unfortunate that Baertshi couldn't quite keep it there, at "what he was" he would have made a dandy 2nd line winger on this team. But alas, no dice.

I like what he's done, and I like the trend the team is going. Win or lose, they're doing well.

Dbl post ugh..

Edited by iceman64

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Not sure why you got confused face for this, it's a completely fair statement. Benning has generally been a big spender in the UFA, which has now caused us to slow down making any moves. And the team is currently worse then the team we ended the season with. At the time of writing this we are down a top 5 goalie in the league and 2 top 6 D. That's fact.

Benning has plenty of time to figure it out, but this is a fair statement.

Some people don't like facts or opinions that don't support their own views, I don't sweat it.

Hopefully JB can sort out this defense because it's real bad at the moment, without crippling us down the road of course.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

They have a small group of star players to build around. 2 years and all their cap troubles go away. If they don't get stupid. Play the kids as much as possible.  Resign Jake and play his ass off. Use OJ, Hog and any of the other kids who show improvement in camp.

Resigning Hughes and Pete need to be done to see where the cap is at. 

2022/23 go all in. The kids will be at the right age.

Pick up a couple of short term fillers on short term deals to stabilize things.

Good time to take a look at Tryamkin.

Time to be patient. 

Its kind of a shame because they showed in the playoffs that they can be competitive right now if they're surrounded properly.

And while Petey & Hughes are still young, Bo Horvat isn't 22 anymore. Not that he'll start declining anytime soon but we're into his prime years now. 

1 hour ago, Pink Sock said:

Besides being from Richmond (which has zero impact on the ice), what does Troy bring that others in the line up can't?

He brings alot of value with the deal he signed. Cheap #5 that can play in the Top 4 when needed, that's what you need.

Sure he's small but Rafferty & Chatfield haven't really played. And if they become the caliber of player Stecher is that would be a huge win. 

In a vaccum I'm fine with moving on from Stech, but its at a point where our options are becoming less & less. On that deal he would've been good security to have anyways, but we'll see what they can do. 

lol @ taking a step back. Year 7 of the tenure/rebuild/whatever the hell you want to call what Benning's "plan" was. In a vacuum, definitely was the right move to walk away from Markstrom (given we have Demko) and walk away from Tanev given the term on that contract. Outside the vacuum, currently we're a lot worse than we were a couple days ago.

At this point, yes, it doesn't make sense to make rash decisions and try to force your way back into the playoffs. Lack of long-term foresight is what got us in this mess in the first place.

But the elephant in the room is that we already didn't have a good defense, we just lost one of our few good D-men along with another competent D-man, and there's nobody really left in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if Juolevi or Rafferty step up next season and play a regular role but it won't be enough.

That means we either ice one of the worst D's in the league until some bad contracts come off the books or we pay assets to not only to acquire good D-men but also to get rid of some of those aforementioned bad contracts.

I understand that a rebuild isn't linear but that just isn't a good look for a team that's supposed to be on the upswing.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its kind of a shame because they showed in the playoffs that they can be competitive right now if they're surrounded properly.

And while Petey & Hughes are still young, Bo Horvat isn't 22 anymore. Not that he'll start declining anytime soon but we're into his prime years now. 

This is what rebuilds are like. Especially in this cap era. They may slightly decline or go sideways for a couple. The key is that they don't try to force things by doing something stupid that sets them back.

There is still a few good young kids in our system. Continue to develop and maybe Benning will eventually win on a trade. 

• Cheers 1

JB needa to put his money where his mouth is and retool this defence, and it's not just by letting our good shutdown guys walk and replacing them with rookies. 

Replacing Tanev, Stecher and Markstrom with Juolevi, Benn and Holtby is going to see us concede a fair few more goals and up front we're not getting a hell of a lot better.

Just one top 4 to replace Tanev will steady the ship a bit though.

I dunno the defense looks bad defensively last season and barring some kind of trade its going to look worse this year. Hughes is going to be overworked and Edler is another year older. Who on the team can eat up big mins beside hughes and maybe Edler? I doubt green would be comfortable playing juolevi and Rafferty 15+ mins a night.. same with Benn or Fantenberg if we re sign him. Not much left in FA in terms of defenseman that would make a difference other than AP. If we try to trade for a top 4.. I dont want to imagine the cost. We keep saying our cap issue will be fine in couple years well ep and Hughes will combine for prolly 14-16 mil compared to their 2mil now.. so that really eats up all of eriksson sutter luongo caps. Bo will prolly get a slight raise his next contract the following year. We also have a bunch of players to sign so I dont see how we all of a sudden have plenty of caps to play with.. unless EP and Hughes signs a friendly bridge deal. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I've been out of touch for a while but  this is a consequence of poor Cap Management. I'm not sure about the draft pick but what I've read he seems to be a good pick in the third. You're not expecting a lot but this picks seems to be better.

If ever we needed  capologist it is likely well over due, come back Gilman !!

For me if JB does nothing for the rest of free agency other then some marginal depth signings then it's probably a poor mark from me, 3/10 sort of stuff. I hope he rallies and doesn't overpay a top 4 defenseman or signs Toffoli. 

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

lol @ taking a step back. Year 7 of the tenure/rebuild/whatever the hell you want to call what Benning's "plan" was. In a vacuum, definitely was the right move to walk away from Markstrom (given we have Demko) and walk away from Tanev given the term on that contract. Outside the vacuum, currently we're a lot worse than we were a couple days ago.

At this point, yes, it doesn't make sense to make rash decisions and try to force your way back into the playoffs. Lack of long-term foresight is what got us in this mess in the first place.

But the elephant in the room is that we already didn't have a good defense, we just lost one of our few good D-men along with another competent D-man, and there's nobody really left in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if Juolevi or Rafferty step up next season and play a regular role but it won't be enough.

That means we either ice one of the worst D's in the league until some bad contracts come off the books or we pay assets to not only to acquire good D-men but also to get rid of some of those aforementioned bad contracts.

I understand that a rebuild isn't linear but that just isn't a good look for a team that's supposed to be on the upswing.

Fair comment...I dont want to use the flat cap as an excuse, but prior to the new cap, there could have been wiggle room getting out of these albatrosses.....Not now, we have to roast in our own juices for a bit.

Short term, it sucks..Long term, looks good.

• Cheers 3

I think the best decision to go laterally/ slightly worst for the next year. Going a little bad and waiting for contracts to expire and more money to come in next year is solid. And then from there start trading and re-tooling because we need to show Petey and Hughes that we are committed to winning a cup and ice a competitive team around them to entice them to take hometown discounts for a better chance of winning the year after when both of their ELC's expire. 

Feel folks are over-reacting.

Amble over to Capfriendly. Look at the team pages for SOME of these scrambling, desperate crews. Think LouiE's a problem?

- Toronto

- San Jose

- Buffalo

- Philly

- Dallas

- NYI

My word, some of these teams have lousy contracts..& I'm talkin' with significant term remaining! All kinds of teams, from penthouse to basement status.

Play it out(w/patience) for about 1 more yr, & we'll be okay.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1