The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire Smoke?

Roberts

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not sure what is going on but my family has a ranch on Douglas lake road south of Westwold, the White lake rock fire has been burning about 10 days and growing daily. There has been little to no support or noticeable crews. It was reported that a bomber dropped water or retardant but the family having been evacuated now has seen no evidence. House cams show the fire coming over the ridge ( their property ) into the valley unimpeded to the point it is simply across the street from the farm house, hay storage, equipment and other then hoses set up there is nobody to be seen, no water or anything being dropped. The neighbors have an Ostrich farm with around 30+ birds that cannot be evacuated so they are hoping to ride it out.

Realizing these situations are playing out allover and the resources available need to triage the situations but its very frustrating and saddening to see a fire growing and moving ever so slowly towards someone's home, livelihood and nothing seems to be happening.

Maybe a rant, maybe just sharing, but there are a  lot of people now evacuated from Douglas Lake up to highway 97 and the fire is not being fought.

There does seem to be some controversy over whether enough is being done.

Global News did  a short piece on this yesterday:

https://globalnews.ca/video/8056324/westwold-residents-want-more-wildfire-resources

On 7/7/2021 at 6:06 PM, DarthMelvin said:

That's my home bro's. :(

I'm in Merritt for now with my Fam, this town has been great to our community.

I heard that our home survived so far but its not over. I get nervous that a spark may reignite the fire and start up again. 

The generosity of Merritt and surrounding towns and nations has been amazing. I applaud the volunteers and all the ESS's over the province. The Comfort inn here in Merritt has been very helpfuland kept lookin for ways to accommodate. I could go on but my words could not even come close to showing my gratitude. I love BC and Canada. As a First Nations, The Canadian people shined in this horrible event. We'll be back

Lytton Strong.

It's been pretty tough. 

Lytton is my home town, but I've been away for some time. 

• Like 1

Few years back the B.C. government did invest in more planes, and a few extra rapid response teams.

Unfortunately what ever percentage of improvement was, it has been out paced by this brutal hot streak.

I'm wondering what the 'official' definition of drought is, because we are likely getting close.

Sadly more planes and crews are going to be required in the future, hopefully the govt. plans fo,r and purchases more equipment.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:04 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not sure what is going on but my family has a ranch on Douglas lake road south of Westwold, the White lake rock fire has been burning about 10 days and growing daily. There has been little to no support or noticeable crews. It was reported that a bomber dropped water or retardant but the family having been evacuated now has seen no evidence. House cams show the fire coming over the ridge ( their property ) into the valley unimpeded to the point it is simply across the street from the farm house, hay storage, equipment and other then hoses set up there is nobody to be seen, no water or anything being dropped. The neighbors have an Ostrich farm with around 30+ birds that cannot be evacuated so they are hoping to ride it out.

Realizing these situations are playing out allover and the resources available need to triage the situations but its very frustrating and saddening to see a fire growing and moving ever so slowly towards someone's home, livelihood and nothing seems to be happening.

Maybe a rant, maybe just sharing, but there are a  lot of people now evacuated from Douglas Lake up to highway 97 and the fire is not being fought.

And a bit of good news about the resources being used against the fire:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/340991/Wildfire-near-Westwold-growing-quickly-on-Sunday

One hundred firefighters and 13 support staff from Quebec will arrive at the Okanagan Complex today. They will be staying in the camp and will be assigned to the White Rock fire. They will be briefed and oriented today and should be working on the fire by Monday, the wildfire service says.

On the ground, heavy equipment is being used to construct large, cleared areas at regular intervals along the guard lines. The "safe zones" provide crews and equipment a safe place to take shelter in if fire behaviour should suddenly increase.

A ground-based retardant unit reinforced guard lines Saturday, and four helicopters were bucketing water to cool and slow the spread of the fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apparently monte lake is gone and westwold will be gone soon.  Here in Vernon/Armstrong we have burned needles falling from the sky, high winds and lightning.  It feels like an apocalypse kind of night.  The smoke is stinging the eyes and everyone I know has a go bag ready.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Apparently monte lake is gone and westwold will be gone soon.  Here in Vernon/Armstrong we have burned needles falling from the sky, high winds and lightning.  It feels like an apocalypse kind of night.  The smoke is stinging the eyes and everyone I know has a go bag ready.

Geez, I wish you and everyone else the best with that. 

• Like 3

The white lake fire is still across ok lake, but the wind is howling here and directly at my farm from the fire.  We still have a hill between us and the lake, but it won't take much to jump the lake in this wind

PXL_20210806_211852218.jpg

PXL_20210806_211609202.jpg

• Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What a picture.

All the best man. 

Pics are touched up to accurately reflect what it actually looks like.  That's pretty much what was coming at us.......big chunks of burned material falling like snow.  The wind has died down and things look a little brighter.  Going to be a long night.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, stawns said:

The white lake fire is still across ok lake, but the wind is howling here and directly at my farm from the fire.  We still have a hill between us and the lake, but it won't take much to jump the lake in this wind

PXL_20210806_211852218.jpg

PXL_20210806_211609202.jpg

Oh dang I want that tractor!  Don't forget to drive it out of town if you have to evacuate!

Just kidding, stay safe up there.

20 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Its been a month plus a week in hotel life. Happy to announce that my home survived. I'm trying not to talk about my home to much as many of my friends and family lost theirs homes

Waiting on water power and other necessities to be provided before I return. 

I am glad your home and irreplaceable possessions survived.

My heart goes out to your friends who have lost everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1