The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Jake Virtanen

11 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

I think if we lose Jake, It's a huge gain for another team that can actually coach the kid.  He is a force. 

So the fact that all kids have flourished under Green except Jake somehow points to this being on Green? Gimme a break.

Like I have said, I have defended Jake since the draft but I'm done and I gotta say it feels great. He looked so good this season for a stretch but his last 20 games and the RTP he sucked. People defend him saying well he got demoted etc, we'll he got demoted and lost his top-six role over LE, Brock didn't come back till the last game. We were playing terrible and if Jake had played well he would have kept those minutes and role.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

So the fact that all kids have flourished under Green except Jake somehow points to this being on Green? Gimme a break.

Like I have said, I have defended Jake since the draft but I'm done and I gotta say it feels great. He looked so good this season for a stretch but his last 20 games and the RTP he sucked. People defend him saying well he got demoted etc, we'll he got demoted and lost his top-six role over LE, Brock didn't come back till the last game. We were playing terrible and if Jake had played well he would have kept those minutes and role.

I did not look at it that way...

Good on ya.

37 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

This!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, grandmaster said:

I maintain the fact that Jake is not a hit whatsoever. 
He was drafted 6th overall and struggles as a third liner (he has had plenty of opportunities, I would say too many).

He was also misjudged as a physical presence. Skinny Pete throws his weight around more than this guy! What you call a win, I call a loss.

I also don’t understand your comment about those drafted around him, if you want to play hindsight, you lose that argument as well;  Pasternak, Nylander, Ehlers, Tuch, DeAngelo and other star players were drafted afterwards. Lol

Im not sure hes a hit, but hes defintely not a bust either at least compared to MANY years of crappy 1st round picks we've had. Its the effort level that really bugs me the most. Sure the numbers aren't what we expect, but the guy is great for 1 game and invisible for the next 7 or 8. Some players don't put up the numbers but at least have some sort of commitment to do SOMETHING during the game. Tuch I thought was a going to be a stud, but he was just too much of a reach at 6th (I think Tuch was rated around 12th) but everybody wiffed on Pastrnak. DeAngelo, I had my doubts since he had so much bad PR going to the draft

• Like 1

I think y’all are getting fooled by Slick Jim Benning’s trickery. I think Benning wants Jake as a 3rd or 4th liner who can play up when needed. He wants to pay him accordingly though. 

I think with many of these players Benning is playing the kind man’s hardball. He knows that Jake wants to play here but doesn’t want to have to pay the Qualifying offer. He is dangling the threat of moving on to get a better deal. 

I predict Jake will sign a cheap contract as Benning calls his bluff.  

• Upvote 4

On 9/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, J-P said:

Agree that Jake to the canes makes a lot of sense for everybody involved.

Don't agree that Jake's excused for not impacting the game unless he gets top 6 minutes. It's not all about scoring and it's up to each player to have an impact on the game with whatever ice time available.

Also after these playoffs I no longer believe Jake will ever be a top 6 winger, I thought he showed lots of limitations when the level was raised, mostly caused by his slow processing of the game.

This. Absolutely this. 

He has all the tools, but lacks maturity, consistency, and most importantly, hockey IQ. 

I wish him well, but also wish he will bring us back a more valuable piece in a trade. 

16 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

I predict Jake will sign a cheap contract as Benning calls his bluff.  

Jake is either gonna go to arbitration to try get paid for being on pace for a 20/20 season or he will sign a deal to take him to UFA so he can leave or he will ask for a trade or just be traded this off season.

Virtanen and Stecher to NJ for Miles Wood please

8 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tbh that wasn't a stupid contract. Louie was still a solid goal scorer and him and the Sedins had a lot of chemistry playing for team Sweden with a lot of success

Yea it turned out badly, but cant fault JB for a move that made so much sense. Sendins wanted to bring Vancouver a cup and at that time Louie made the most sense. $&!# happens sometimes 

That is true a lot of fans here wanted Eriksson with the Canucks after that world championship. So Benning was just doing what the fans wanted 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:02 AM, N7Nucks said:

To word this more correctly, the team got healthy, he was moved to the bottom 6, then his offense dried up. Unlike Goldy he never gets regular top 6 looks except that month and a half stint where we were decimated with injuries. When injuries hit he was producing really well. But we got healthy and Green moved him down. Then he started scoring less. Which isn't unusual since literally nobody in the bottom 6 produces and Jake isn't the type of player to make offense all on his own. But nobody ever mentions any other player in the bottom 6 doing literally nothing offensively except Jake.

Chicken or egg. Jake is not a top 6 player he just isnt smart enough or have the work ethic. He has the skills to be a stop gap but it's like watching Shane O'Brien play top 4 he will show up for a game here and there and then an utter poop sho. 

Jake is a major headache that we just dont need. If we move him Green can focus on coaching professional hockey players.

8 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tbh that wasn't a stupid contract. Louie was still a solid goal scorer and him and the Sedins had a lot of chemistry playing for team Sweden with a lot of success

Yea it turned out badly, but cant fault JB for a move that made so much sense. Sendins wanted to bring Vancouver a cup and at that time Louie made the most sense. $&!# happens sometimes 

I think the term was a bit much but otherwise I agree. Eriksson was also coming off a 30 goal season and Vancouver was not an attractive team really. I don't think many would have predicted back then that he would be this bad this early.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, guntrix said:

Tuch earned his additional minutes. He was a beast out there and was noticeable on most shifts. He played better than bonafide top-6 guys like Stone and Karlsson over the series. That was the difference between him and Jake. 

And lol at those suggesting Jake for Pesce. I wouldn't even trade Pesce for 3 Jakes.

Brett Pesce is being overrated by Canuck fans.  Look at his career stats.  He is maybe a number 4-5 d man. Limited offensive upside.  I’d prefer Brandon Montour.  

19 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Brett Pesce is being overrated by Canuck fans.  Look at his career stats.  He is maybe a number 4-5 d man. Limited offensive upside.  I’d prefer Brandon Montour.  

Pesce is more like Tanev. Montour is like Schultz, more offensive minded and so so at best in his own end.

5 hours ago, Whalespray said:

Jake is a major headache that we just dont need. If we move him Green can focus on coaching professional hockey players.

Jake is not the cause of the headache. Fans cause their own headaches focusing on where he was drafted instead of what he is, which is a solid 3rd liner who can move up and produce in a pinch and is decent (not spectacular) in his own zone, can get in on the forecheck quickly, and one of the best on our team for drawing penalties.

Virtanens problem may be that he sees his potential the way many fans do and overrates himself. If that’s the case and he’s looking for a big pay day, then cut him loose. But as an inconsistent scorer he was on pace for 20 playing mostly on the 3rd line. That’s worth a small boost in pay.

• Cheers 1

On 9/12/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ronaldoescobar said:

If JB could get a team to take LE and all it would cost is adding JV with no salary retained, then he would be GM of the century!

Funny...I posted a "LE + Virtanen for future considerations" trade proposal a few months back and get absolutely torched for it - now everyone would do that deal in a heartbeat!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Jake is not the cause of the headache. Fans cause their own headaches focusing on where he was drafted instead of what he is, which is a solid 3rd liner who can move up and produce in a pinch and is decent (not spectacular) in his own zone, can get in on the forecheck quickly, and one of the best on our team for drawing penalties.

Virtanens problem may be that he sees his potential the way many fans do and overrates himself. If that’s the case and he’s looking for a big pay day, then cut him loose. But as an inconsistent scorer he was on pace for 20 playing mostly on the 3rd line. That’s worth a small boost in pay.

He is a headache to everyone including the coaching staff because he is wildly inconsistent with his effort and hasn't made many strides into learning how to be a pro after 5 years in the league... showing up out of shape to TWO training camps in a single season!

He is no Jannick Hansen, who is the player you are describing.  He is not a solid 3rd liner, he is a GREAT 2nd liner for 20-40 games a season, and then not worth being on the roster at all the rest of the season and gets outplayed by bottom guys like Eriksson, Motte, and MacEwan.  Everyone would be ecstatic to get a solid reliable 3rd liner out of Jake at this point.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

You’re right. More of a bad joke on my part with that edit, and hindsight is always 2020. At the time maybe not the best move they could have made but not a bad one as per the reasons you point out. But I do stand by the first part of my post with respect to the current situation.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Funny...I posted a "LE + Virtanen for future considerations" trade proposal a few months back and get absolutely torched for it - now everyone would do that deal in a heartbeat!

People are dreaming if that is all they think it will take to absorb 2 years @6m per... Asking would be Podz and 2021 1st/Hogz. jake is a reclamation project for a team that thinks his speed can help them and maybe mesh into their top 6. His value is a late 1st or maybe a 2nd a prospect or cheap contract player in return

• Cheers 2