The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

I don't know the destination, but I feel like today or tomorrow should be the days we see some moves from the team.  Stanley Cup has been awarded so the etiquette of not upstaging the final is out of the way.

It is just a week before the draft and just a couple more days after that to free agency, the dam has to burst pretty soon if we want to be players at all.  I hope things don't get stalled while teams see what RFAs are left unqualified rather than pulling the trigger on trades.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't know the destination, but I feel like today or tomorrow should be the days we see some moves from the team.  Stanley Cup has been awarded so the etiquette of not upstaging the final is out of the way.

It is just a week before the draft and just a couple more days after that to free agency, the dam has to burst pretty soon if we want to be players at all.  I hope things don't get stalled while teams see what RFAs are left unqualified rather than pulling the trigger on trades.

I don't think trading Virtanen or some other player would've taken away any attention from the Stanley Cup. It's not like we decided to trade Pettersson.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, Rush17 said:

Virtanen to Boston fits the next gen can Neely fleecing storyline. Easy low hanging fruit imo. 

I like it. Let the Boston media all parrot into that narrative until it becomes apparent that Benning got some payback and fleeced them this time.

The obvious wrinkle in this plan is that it's inter-division, however would anybody consider Jake Virtanen for Jesse Puljujarvi? 

Puljujarvi has the higher ceiling and we have many (Too many) options to internally fill Jake's spot until he is ready to come over.  If it was presented to me, I would make that trade.   

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

The obvious wrinkle in this plan is that it's inter-division, however would anybody consider Jake Virtanen for Jesse Puljujarvi? 

Puljujarvi has the higher ceiling and we have many (Too many) options to internally fill Jake's spot until he is ready to come over.  If it was presented to me, I would make that trade.   

poolparty doesnt make sense for us either though. With boes and tofu on the team, pooly's our 3rd line winger. The team is worse with him on our 3rd line over Jake as it stands today. The hope would be that he turns into a top 6, maybe a 1st line RW... which we dont need

4 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

poolparty doesnt make sense for us either though. With boes and tofu on the team, pooly's our 3rd line winger. The team is worse with him on our 3rd line over Jake as it stands today. The hope would be that he turns into a top 6, maybe a 1st line RW... which we dont need

I think you always want internal competition.  Having Poolparty, Hoglander and Podkolkin pushing for spots is a healthy situation to be in.  If we have to bump players like Toffoli, Miller or somebody like that down a line because we have an emerging star, then it gives us depth.  Oilers need the depth ASAP, but we have the depth to cover the loss of Jake until what point Poolparty could be ready to come back over.  Timing and situation could be right for both teams.

As frustrated as I am with Jake, it wouldn't make sense to bring on JP just for "internal competition". Jake really does play a better 3rd line role.

Oh, what a delight it would be to see Jake give a crap. It would make such a difference for this team.

/fantasy

5 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Virtanen year after year is looking like a bottom 6 player. Which are a lot easier to find than guys with Puljujarvi’s potential. I’d still make the trade because if Pulj hits his potential he’s worth a lot more than what Virtanen is now.

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Virtanen year after year is looking like a bottom 6 player. Which are a lot easier to find than guys with Puljujarvi’s potential. I’d still make the trade because if Pulj hits his potential he’s worth a lot more than what Virtanen is now.

Exactly.  You don't always make a trade to make a direct replacement.  You make trades to try and get slightly better value than the other team and then adjust as needed.  If we turn Jake into a 6'3 young top six forward, we can find other ways to fill the bottom six.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

42 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Exactly.  You don't always make a trade to make a direct replacement.  You make trades to try and get slightly better value than the other team and then adjust as needed.  If we turn Jake into a 6'3 young top six forward, we can find other ways to fill the bottom six.

At this stage though, poolparty is not a top 6 forward, nor is he a bottom 6 for that matter. He has a higher ceiling than Virtanen, sure, but he is not even an NHL player at this point, and Jake is. I would consider that trade if we were still rebuilding, but we're not. The contention window is opening and it's time to shift gears. Any move that does not make us better next year is probably not a move we should make imo. 

Edited by Yung1
forgot a word
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I see him going as a part of a trade for Miles Wood from Jersey and a 2nd or Josh Anderson straight up. One has the speed the other has the meat and potatoes.

Thing about Anderson (I believe @oldnews mentioned) is that he's only a year older than Virtanen and their stat lines are very similar from last season. As well, Anderson was spoken of in very similar terms to Virtanen as not playing to his full potential for a few seasons. Yet this season, he seemed to have broken out. 

I do believe that Benning is listening to every offer coming his way on various players, but that is no guarantee or indication that a trade is imminent or necessary.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, Provost said:

I wonder if players and their agents are still hoping to get pre-Covid numbers?  Maybe that's the hang up in seeing some signings. 

But yeah, I get the whole etiquette of not wanting to upstage the Stanley Cup. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thing about Anderson (I believe @oldnews mentioned) is that he's only a year older than Virtanen and their stat lines are very similar from last season. As well, Anderson was spoken of in very similar terms to Virtanen as not playing to his full potential for a few seasons. Yet this season, he seemed to have broken out. 

I do believe that Benning is listening to every offer coming his way on various players, but that is no guarantee or indication that a trade is imminent or necessary.

not that it matters, because the point pretty much remains the same,  but Anderson is a couple years older, broke last season, not this season that just ended (this season was sidelined most of it and had no production in a fraction 1/3 where he wasn't healthy  - but his season at age 23 was quite comparable / two seasons ago, to what Virtanen just did.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

not that it matters, because the point pretty much remains the same,  but Anderson is a couple years older, broke last season, not this season that just ended (this season was sidelined most of it and had no production in a fraction 1/3 where he wasn't healthy  - but his season at age 23 was quite comparable / two seasons ago, to what Virtanen just did.

Fair enough. I'm usually wrong half the time. 

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I'm usually wrong half the time. 

same here.

but his last season being that disappointing/injury-laden, etc might mitigate his value a bit or make him more 'acquireable', whereas otherwise, good luck getting him in 27 g form, where he's presently in 'beast' mode.  if something like that is not possible, then I don't see much point in dealing Virtanen's rights.

• Vintage 1