The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Marky and Tanev. Yes. Tanev is a borderline 3rd pair d-man and injured often. Marky got a NMC and way too much term. Losing Stecher at 1.7, likely 1.5 for us being hometown, isn't really a deal that'd sink the franchise. Lol. And Toffoli is legit. Even if we needed to free cap he could easily be moved with his contract. 4.25 for a 20 goal scorer that is only in his late 20s? Come on. Stecher and Toffoli contracts we could easily have matched and we'd still be fine 2 years from now. 

filling Stetchers shoes with OJ, Rathbone or Rafferty is easily done and giving out a 4 yr deal to a top 6 forward seems too long of term. We have guys who will be here in 2 yrs or sooner and what we need is a 2 yr deal for a top six winger

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

You have over 16,000 posts fatboy. 

That alone is sad

Every post you've made in this thread is negative or cutting other members down.

Quality poster! You add so much to the community!

This is just distasteful and disrespectful dude.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Pete M said:

what?...bro, please explain why he gave up Madden and a second to sign Toffoli for 17 games....let me guess, to only make the playoffs? and then let your UFAs walk after the playoff experience? Explain away 

It's been explained to you. Not our fault you won't/can't accept it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank god we made the playoffs this year cuz I’d hate to give up next years pick Which is guaranteed to be earlier.

we need a new GM for two years time when we will finally have an opportunity to improve the team. Benning is horrible with UFAs. 

1 hour ago, Grape said:

The trade was questionable to begin with even if we had managed to re-sign Toff to a good deal.

Because by the time we become true contenders and EP and QH are in their prime, it was always more likely that Madden was going to be a better player than a 30+ year old Toffoli. And that’s ignoring the 2nd round pick we gave up.

The fact that we weren’t able to re-sign him makes it sting more.

It was only questionable to the ones that wanted to believe that. We thought Boeser was done for the year and made a move to offset that in our pursuit for the playoffs. I don't buy this true contenders thing. We wanted playoff experience which go towards us being contenders down the road. You don't just turn it on all of a sudden when you feel like it.

We will see how Madden fares, but seems a bit presumptuous to expect him to be better than Toffoli let alone even make the NHL at 150 lbs. This is the same thinking that the 1st round pick we gave up for Miller was surely going to bite us in the ass. We all know how that turned out so far.

4 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Why do they want to trade him? Not saying they don’t just curious. Small market flat cap? 

Yup they're trying to clear cap space. But someone here also pointed out that if Pietrangelo is going to VGK then CBJ might just keep Savard.

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Hey bud this is day 3 this guy has been following me around trolling me,   I've had enough.

Not following you around you're posting on a public forum. And you quote me endlessly whining. Then whine more if I dare respond. Get over yourself. 

Obviously a disaster letting such talent go for such little money but JB must have a plan. I'll reserve judgement for after the off season, maybe even after the first half of the season, but quite frankly if we miss the playoffs JB comes under the spotlight for the first time in his career. I know it's a hard situation but this flat cap and extension draft really puts GMs under pressure so let's see what he can do.

I hope he's lining up some big top 4 D man with this extra cap...

Just now, Pete M said:

so why did he sign Toffoli by giving away Madden and a second with not intention of resigning Toffoli (because he certainly could have resigned him for $4.25M)?

I don’t get this. Obviously they wanted to resign him. Why they didn’t, well because they probably think like me.

Toffoli isn’t the player people are making him about to be. This guy is the 6 in top six forwards. He’s like an average of 45 points in his career. He over-performed for us in the regular season. Now obviously, if he were to play long term with Petey and Miller he’d likely eclipse that. But there’s a hundred players who would also eclipse what they really are with those two. 

We need to think long term here. It’s not just about next season. AT LEAST 18-20 million dollars of new cap is coming in next season when Petey, Hughes and Demko have new contracts. We also have players like Hog or Pod who could potentially come in and do what Toffoli did. There could be a different FA next season at an even better price. A trade. The Canucks have options. They don’t need to be forced into signing a secondary player that’s replaceable. Players like Toffoli are available EVERY YEAR in FA or trade. 

Also, he did not move the needle one way or the other for this team. They certainly did just fine with his 0 points in the Wild and Blues series. 

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

classless, if you call reality classless....

feel free to explain why he signed Toffoli by giving up Madden and a second, to only let him go....let me guess to make the playoffs, and then let your players walk for nothing....that's retarded

It's called a rental.  Typically involves short term gain for longer term loss, but not always.  Always a calculated risk.  Teams do it all the time.  It can work out well or badly but isn't categorically retarded. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You’re the one who is also to blame. I just got on and noticed, wasn’t even part of your little spat. You also act like a douche by sending out confused emojis like that. 

He said as he creeped my profile and confuse faced my posts. 

Edited by canuck73_3

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Not following you around you're posting on a public forum. And you quote me endlessly whining. Then whine more if I dare respond. Get over yourself. 

Want me to go back and post screen shots how it started today?  You start by trolling then play the victim when you lose.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And maybe he didn't want to commit to 4 years. They were in negotiations, he can't make Toffoli sign here. 

Benning at the start of Free agency let Toffoli walk, but i guess people were hoping Benning would still sign a fan favorite that fit so well with our team at 28 yrs old and cheaper than what he got before