The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

Schmidt appears to be a character. Goofy, fun but also appears to be a professional. I have a feeling he will grind on guys not doing their part. I bet he expects a lot from his teammates, which I think is great. A leader.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In think it's hilarious how many people are disappointed/think we got worse :lol:

I’ve seen worse takes. There’s definitely a discussion to be had about whether Schmidt makes up for losing Stetcher, Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli, especially considering the fact that we don’t know which Hamonic will show up and whether Demko will be able to continue his playoff form consistently into the regular season. 

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I’ve seen worse takes. There’s definitely a discussion to be had about whether Schmidt makes up for losing Stetcher, Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli, especially considering the fact that we don’t know which Hamonic will show up and whether Demko will be able to continue his playoff form consistently into the regular season. 

Yeah, no reason to be optimistic when pessimism is more comfortable.  Sorry for the sarcasm, but I see no reason not to be optimistic.  I love what Schmidt brings and he doesn't have to single handedly carry the team, we've got other good players as well.  Holtby is no turnip and we've got lots of options on D.  In fact I like our depth at every position right now.  There is no reason other than reflexive fear to think we're not going to have a good season.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Our D is better, hands down. Schmidt is outstanding, he is going to surprise a lot of people.  Goaltending could be very good still, but likely not as solid as last year.  Forwards don't really change too much on paper as we had either Toffoli or Boeser, only both for 2 games.  I do think we will see a better forward group though, based on adding in some youth and progression.  

This was our cap crunch year, things get better/easier from here on out.  I think we are a better balanced team than last year, with far better depth.  Our young guys got to experience some playoff disappointment and success last year.  I do like our team a lot better than what we had at the start of last season.  Regardless of how this season turns out, we are in great shape moving forward.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

But we didn't just add Schmidt.

And we never really had both Toffoli and Boeser in the lineup together, particularly the regular season. And Toffoli was out and/or injured most of our playoff run. So maybe we're 'worse' than a 'theoretical' lineup with both (healthy), but we're not actually worse than what we actually had at F last year. It also doesn't factor in another year of development/strength for our key, young F's or guys like Hoglander, Lind etc potentially pushing for spots (and Podkolzin arriving later this year).

All we 'need' Hamonic to be is a a solid 3rd pair partner and occasionally fill in on 2nd pair with injuries. He was easily that, even in an off year last season. Best case scenario, he's still able to play at a borderline 2nd/1st pair level and can partner with Hughes 5v5 and lead the PK. That would potentially give us the equivalent of three, near equal, 1B/2A D pairings.

I don't personally expect Demko to maintain that level. That was (and would be) ridiculous. But I also don't worry he's going to come crashing down to some simpering shell either. At worst, we're a split hair worse in net with another year older, experienced Demko and Holtby added. At best, our world class goalie coach helps Holtby regain form and Demko continue to improve and we actually upgrade. I'll take those odds without the term and cap noose of Marky's contract.

Our D, arguably our biggest weak point last year, isn't even debatable in its improvement. Schmidt is game changing IMO. The ability to put two, elite, first pair, puck moving D on the ice for 45-50 minutes a night is going to be beautiful. Adding a bigger, grittier Hamonic as injury insurance and to play the hard defensive /PK minutes we lost with Tanev is the lovely cherry on top. Then you've got Juolevi, Rathbone etc competing and hopefully pushing Benn down as well. 

You said it far better than I did.  The thing I like the best about out D is that we have a ton of options for pairings.  Our deadline adds could potentially be Tryamkin and Podkolzin,.  This will be a young, talented, deep team for a few years to come.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, BCNate said:

You said it far better than I did.  The thing I like the best about out D is that we have a ton of options for pairings.  Our deadline adds could potentially be Tryamkin and Podkolzin,.  This will be a young, talented, deep team for a few years to come.

We'll likely be past the deadline to add Tryamkin THIS year... But yup.

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We'll likely be past the deadline to add Tryamkin THIS year... But yup.

I'd hate for Benning to move mountains to get Tryamkin in the lineup, just for him to get taken in the expansion draft, then have to face that monster multiple times per season. Not that he's a hockey master, who will beat us on the scoreboard - but that he's more likely to injure opponents (just ask Brad Richardson).

And there's no way we'd protect him. Our 3 would almost certainly have to be Hughes, Schmidt, and Juolevi. Unless Benning is willing to trade something to Seattle to get them to take Myers' contract (I'd consider that - he's overpaid now, and may not age well).

If Tryamkin doesn't come this season, he's not eligible, and doesn't need to be protected. So we can just sign him for next year.

Edited by D-Money

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'd hate for Benning to move mountains to get Tryamkin in the lineup, just for him to get taken in the expansion draft, then have to face that monster multiple times per season.

And there's no way we'd protect him. Our 3 would almost certainly have to be Hughes, Schmidt, and Juolevi. Unless Benning is willing to trade something to Seattle to get them to take Myers' contract (I'd consider that - he's overpaid now, and may not age well).

Hughes is exempt FWIW. Otherwise agreed. We've got Hamonic to play in that slot this year anyway and Benn+ kids to get a look at/fill in there for injuries. 

Schmidt, Juolevi and...

I'd LOVE to see Benning trade (after the season/before the ED) for a D another team won't be able to protect though. Expose Myers and either we replace Myers with a younger, cheaper and/or better player (and that's from someone who thinks Myers takes far too much flack), or SEA takes someone else (Holtby?) and we have a ridiculously deep D core. And/or we're able to trade one of them back to a team that just lost a good D.

Picking up Schmidt has a 'Miller' feel to it; another quality player who will improve the team significantly.  With the inclusion of Hamonic, the Canucks have a very solid defence.

Edler/Schmidt

Hughes/Hamonic

Joulevi/Meyers

Rathbone/Benn/etc

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hughes is exempt FWIW. Otherwise agreed. We've got Hamonic to play in that slot this year anyway and Benn+ kids to get a look at/fill in there for injuries. 

Schmidt, Juolevi and...

I'd LOVE to see Benning trade (after the season/before the ED) for a D another team won't be able to protect though. Expose Myers and either we replace Myers with a younger, cheaper and/or better player (and that's from someone who thinks Myers takes far too much flack), or SEA takes someone else (Holtby?) and we have a ridiculously deep D core. And/or we're able to trade one of them back to a team that just lost a good D.

Oh yeah, that's right about Hughes. Then I agree completely. Myers isn't worth protecting.

I guess then there is a possibility that they might protect Tryamkin if they get him over. But I prefer your suggestion (adding a D prior to the draft that another team can't protect).

• Cheers 1

Out - Tanev, Fantenberg, Stecher

In - Schmidt, Juolevi, Hamonic*, Rathbone

IMO, they got a lot better on D

Schmidt seems like such a character, team guy, and like he'd fit right in, in VAN. The Canucks really bonded well in the bubble during the playoffs, brought them all closer I'm sure, and I can see Schmidt adding even more cohesion to the team. 

Makes me wonder, teams like VAN, VGK, TB, etc. who were in the bubble the longest, as opposed to LA, ANA, OTT, etc. who weren't even invited to the bubble - I would think that the longer teams were in the bubble, the bigger the advantage this season? Those non-playoff teams haven't played NHL hockey in almost a year, they never had those bonding experiences, battling for the Cup without any distractions or "help" from the fans. That experience may have toughened up some teams as well, playing world class hockey while missing their families. Well done Benning, signing a former VGK, who went even further than the Canucks. He's going to be a beauty. 

Maybe VAN has the upper hand on some teams? I think they're really going to battle for each other this year, with a mantra "enough is enough, let's win a Cup". 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/nate-schmidt-is-doling-out-his-big-personality-in-small-doses-at-canucks-training-camp-3235831?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Nate Schmidt is doling out his big personality in small doses at Canucks training camp

"I didn't know how much to bark and yell today because I don't want guys to get overwhelmed."
 By: Daniel Wagner
  •  
Nate Schmidt - Jonathan Hayward CP
Nate Schmidt skates for the Vegas Golden Knights against his now Canucks teammate Elias Pettersson.Jonathan Hayward / CP

Nate Schmidt is very self-aware. He knows that his boisterous personality can be a lot for some people to handle.

“I hope the guys aren’t too sensitive about me being too loud and goofy sometimes in the locker room,” said Schmidt after the Vancouver Canucks acquired him in a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights. “I guess that’s what I’m most afraid of.”

That’s why he’s taking a slower approach to introducing his full self to his new teammates. Schmidt has described himself as “lovable” and “goofy” and he’s quick with a smile and a laugh, even in the awkward Zoom call format of the press conferences with the media. If he’s worried about being too much for his new teammates to handle, it helps that he has a pair of former Washington Capitals teammates in the locker room with him in Braden Holtby and Jay Beagle.

“Having Holts and Beags here was an awesome start for me, because they kind of know the true real Schmidtty,” he said with a laugh, looking over at Holtby. “Sometimes, I gotta make sure I give it to the guys in doses, I don't know how much they can handle at first. I didn't know how much to bark and yell today because I don't want guys to get overwhelmed.”

There’s another benefit to Holtby and Beagle already being in Vancouver before Schmidt arrived: they could let their Canucks teammates know what was coming.

“I think I’ve warned enough guys,” said Holtby with a smile. “No, it’s been awesome. I think he showed his energy already. I think it’s a positive energy and it’s going to be infectious to this group.”

“Aw, thanks man,” said Schmidt.

Holtby’s assessment seemed accurate: Schmidt made a great first impression on his teammates — “He’s a really nice guy,” said Quinn Hughes — but also his new head coach, Travis Green.

“He’s got a lot of positive energy — we like that in players,” said Green. “We want players that just love playing the game. It seems like you would put him in that category where there's not a bad day at the rink. That's important because you're playing a lot of hockey, you've got to have positive energy.”

Schmidt’s first day of training camp wasn’t all smooth sailing. He acquitted himself well in the bag skate that has become customary at a Travis Green training camp, but came close to ruining someone else’s day.

“We were doing some laps and I didn't know guys would stop!” said Schmidt with a laugh. “I almost blew somebody up on the first turn around.”

The second day of training camp went even better for Schmidt. 

Perhaps he was feeling a little more comfortable on the ice; he was certainly louder. In a mid-practice scrimmage between the two practice groups, Schmidt let out a couple of his signature “woop” cries on one breakout, letting Elias Pettersson know that he was open. A moment later, Schmidt sent Brock Boeser in on a breakaway with a neat backhand pass and Boeser made no mistake.

"He's such a great guy and he's a really good hockey player," said Boeser. "He sees the ice well and works hard, so he's gonna be huge for our team this year."

If early returns at training camp are any indication, Schmidt will fit in nicely on the ice. His tendency to join the rush and support his forwards will mesh nicely with the top line of Pettersson, Boeser, and J.T. Miller, who are dangerous off the rush.

"I think having a guy like Schmidtty, the way he skates and the way he sees the ice, it's like having another forward out there," said Miller. "There's a lot of movement, a lot of skill, and I think when we get that higher urgency and high compete and our legs are working, I think it just adds another threat."

"I played against Schmidtty a long time, I didn't realize how skilled he really was," Miller added.

Schmidt’s mobility and puck-moving ability could be a game-changer for the Canucks, who struggled on breakouts against his former team, the Golden Knights, in the playoffs. Apart from Hughes, the Canucks defence couldn’t always move or skate the puck out of danger quickly enough.

“For me, being able to jump in the play and be that second wave is a really important part of our game,” said Schmidt. “It’s part of our system here, getting our defencemen up in the rush.”

Yes, fitting in on the ice should come quickly. Fitting in off the ice? Maybe that will take a little longer, but he should fit in just fine and provide an element of joy and positivity to the room, even if it has to come one small dose at a time. 

Already love this guy.

• Like 1

JB knows how to find the character guys and Nate is one of them, he'll go a long way to help groom our kids as well. Edler is a hell of a leader on the blueline but nowhere near as vocal as someone like Schmidt who's age will tie in nicely with the rest of our young guys. 

I'm excited to see what Schmidt can bring offensively, we've seen him jump up in the rush in training camp and too much is said of his defensive abilities but I think he's going to get some offensive opportunities no matter where he ends up in our lineup. If he's with Hughes, surely he'll be asked to play a more safe defensive role, but playing alongside Edler might give him the chance to jump up in the rush. It all depends on the games and how Green wants to deploy him but having an asset like Schmidt is something we haven't had since prime Edler and Jovo years - an all-around defenceman who can rack up some points and play top penalty killing minutes.

• Upvote 1

On January 5, 2021 at 11:16 AM, aGENT said:

In think it's hilarious how many people are disappointed/think we got worse :lol:

Pretty sure that most of those people are just hoping we got worse so that they can whine about it to make themselves feel superior.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1