The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rank our top 4 Dmen

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I hope this trade drives Edler 

Edler is in a contract year and still can get 1 more I cant see him wanting to lose minutes to Schmidt. Edler already lost the 1st unit PP to Hughes he does not want to lose 2 unit to Schmidt and Myers

Myers is on PP2... 

Edited by Timråfan

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

So he played more minutes meaning had more opportunities to get points , played more minutes and got more defensive deployment. So......played more minutes .....

It's been well documented as well that schmidt played some of the hardest minutes in the NHL for d men....so not seeing how this makes Edler better.

Did Schmidt play harder minutes than Edler? 

Does this mean that Edler played some of the hardestest minutes? 

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hughes > Schmidt > Edler > Myers.

I don't see that changing for a while.

Definitely that’s the order. And it’s very clear cut, IMO. It’s possible things change sooner rather than later, I suppose. If one of our prospects becomes a legit top-4, they should easily push Myers down to 5th. And Edler could, over the coming years, decline to more of a 4/5 tweener or third pairing D. But for right now, and for the near future, it’s definitely Hughes>Schmidt>Edler>Myers.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Myers is on PP2... 

Schmidt also kills penalties, top notch skater will make this team a way way better...We lost Tanev but Schmidt is big up grade..So stoked..

I think Schmidt played harder minutes, he lead all Vegas D men in the playoffs....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

NHL defensemen

Hughes

Schmidt

Edler

Myers

Benn

I think defensive prospects rank like this in terms of playability in the NHL today.  I Think Rathbone will climb quickly, but today I would go with this.

OJ

Tryamkin 

Sautner

Rafferty

Brisebois 

Chatfield

Rathbone

Woo

Teves

Utunen

Jurmo

Just curious - why do you have Rathbone ranked so low?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think Edler is probably a hair better than Schmidt in every category right now, but that could change as fast as this upcoming year, with Edler starting to get older at 34 years of age in comparison to Schmidt, who's five years younger. Obviously Myers is #4 even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Hughes is still #1 as well obviously.

Edler is probably our #3 or #4 D man right now. I would take Schmidt and Hughes ahead of him by a large margin. I might take Myers ahead of him too. I think Edler will eventually be displaced by one of our prospect D in a couple of years like Rathbone or Joulevi. 

3 years down the road:

Hughes-Joulevi

Schmidt-Myers

Edler-Rathbone

That is if Edler will sign with us for 2 or 3 mil/yr to win a cup.

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

Schmidt also kills penalties, top notch skater will make this team a way way better...We lost Tanev but Schmidt is big up grade..So stoked..

I think Schmidt played harder minutes, he lead all Vegas D men in the playoffs....

I love the fact that Schmidt has way better offense compared to Tanev which means he could QB our PP if Hughes gets injured. He can also QB the 2nd PP with Myers so Edler can just focus on PK and 5 on 5 play. Hopefully Benning signs Hamonic to a 1 year 1 million dollar deal so he can be used as a defensive D man in that 3rd pairing and be used as a shot blocker in PK to free up Schmidt from doing too much PK work. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely that’s the order. And it’s very clear cut, IMO. It’s possible things change sooner rather than later, I suppose. If one of our prospects becomes a legit top-4, they should easily push Myers down to 5th. And Edler could, over the coming years, decline to more of a 4/5 tweener or third pairing D. But for right now, and for the near future, it’s definitely Hughes>Schmidt>Edler>Myers.

Assuming Benning is done with the D, what would be our starting lineup for D?

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Scmidt

Joulevi-Rathbone/Benn

Rafferty

I hope Benning trades Benn and signs Hamonic. We need someone that can play in the top 4 if injuries hit. Stecher was able to play that type of role for us. I deally I would want Sami Vatanen but he will be too expensive for us.

17 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I see that changing next year when we don't re-sign Edler so that we can afford Hughes

Edler could still sign with us for like 3 million or so. It will be flat cap next season so he wouldn't be getting 5 or 6 million, which will save us 3 million .

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Edler is probably our #3 or #4 D man right now. I would take Schmidt and Hughes ahead of him by a large margin. I might take Myers ahead of him too. I think Edler will eventually be displaced by one of our prospect D in a couple of years like Rathbone or Joulevi. 

3 years down the road:

Hughes-Joulevi

Schmidt-Myers

Edler-Rathbone

That is if Edler will sign with us for 2 or 3 mil/yr to win a cup.

I think Edler would love that. ::D

Edler - He’s still the closest thing we have to a number 1 complete dman, still top on ES and PK, doesn’t need to do pp anymore which is a good thing but the offence is still there - 0.57 ppg over the last three years, we are in for a world of hurt when he retires 

Schmidt - 2 way puck-moving Dman (not sure why people think he’s physical, Tanev threw more hits than he did last year) toi stats point to 2nd unit PP and 2nd unit PK use in Vegas.  Not sure he’ll see much PP time here given our tendency to go with 4 forwards.  Feels like a less physical Hamhuis to me

Hughes - He’s awesome at what he does but still needs to figure out his own end.  Vegas exposed him early but he adapted which is a good sign will move up the list quickly.  The biggest question is how many games it takes for him to be our too scoring Dman of all time 

Myers - If he could pull it all together he’d be higher on the list.  Only player in the system other than maybe OJ that can potentially fill the Eagle void when he’s gone

On 10/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, -AJ- said:

I think Edler is probably a hair better than Schmidt in every category right now, but that could change as fast as this upcoming year, with Edler starting to get older at 34 years of age in comparison to Schmidt, who's five years younger. Obviously Myers is #4 even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Hughes is still #1 as well obviously.

Edler is definitely not better than Schmidt 

On 10/14/2020 at 1:03 AM, -AJ- said:

Edler was our worst defenseman over three years with both zone exits and entries - both tragically below the 20 percentile.   QHs was 99 in zone exits and 98 in zone entry virtually at the top of the league , Myers a respectable 65-70 in both and after that it fell off a cliff for the rest of our guys.   Schmidt is very good at both- last year 93/92 and a three year average 89/88....we for sure need more of that.  To me Edler and Myers are a wash, both do some things better then the other.   Somehow Edler has had a renaissance the past three seasons despite getting older, but I think his time is almost done.   If OJ pushes him down the depth chart I wonder if he’d be willing to accept 1/2 to 1/3 of his current salary to stay with us.   I’d be hesitant to offer him a 2 year deal at 35 that would pay him like a top four.   That said he’s been a great soldier for us and for sure an all time great Canuck D. 

On 10/14/2020 at 7:33 PM, DefCon1 said:

Edler could still sign with us for like 3 million or so. It will be flat cap next season so he wouldn't be getting 5 or 6 million, which will save us 3 million .

Yep.   That’s what I see happening too.  Not many 35 year old D’s get paid like top fours these days unless they are exceptional. 

The top-4 will be rated how the coaching staff want them to be. There will a certain amount of juggling, for whatever reason(s). 

If Hughes plays a game along side Myers rather than Schmidt, does that mean that he is the Canucks #3 d-man, or was it due to a coaching decision that Hughes would benefit from playing with a substantially larger partner? Or, if Boeser spends a shift playing on the 3rd line, is that because he's not a good player, or because of a coaching decision to give him a bit more ice time due to several Canuck penalties, or, to keep up the pressure on the other team, or as an attempt to get the 3rd line going.

It seems to be a pretty minimal type of concern. This being said:

Schmidt (for now - more experience, size, has good vision & smarts etc)

Hughes (for now - less experience, lack of size, very good & smarts etc)

Edler

Myers

regards,  G.

Hughes (by a long shot. And he's gonna get better)

Schmidt 

Edler (Who I believe is a noticeable step up from Myers)

Myers

Benn

We really need to move Benn. Just wasn't a good fit. Juolevi is clearly in management's plans on the left anyway, and it's time he was given the chance to play at this level. Rathbone needs some time in the A. He can take Edler's spot next year if he's ready, or we re-sign Edler for another year.

At this point it looks like we are going with Rafferty in the 3R position - though I expect JB to get a more established guy in FA. I also expect (hope?) JB gets Tryamkin here as another option. I think some get hung up on TT's limited upside without appreciating what a huge guy like that can do for you in the playoffs.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:55 AM, Timråfan said:

Myers is on PP2... 

Soon to be supplanted by Rafferty. 

In Utica, Juolevi quarterbacked the PP1 at the beginning, but after his injury absence, Rafferty took over, and man, was he impressive. OJ never won his spot back and was relegated to the 2nd unit. There are some Rafferty hilite clips posted in the Comets thread that are worth viewing.   Almost as dynamic as Hughes.  If he gets into games, I hope Green gives him a look, but I am not holding my breath - look how long it took for him to realize QH was infinitely superior to AE on PP1