Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not sure if there's a separate thread of this but hearing there's also an extended squad?
Wonder how that would work cap-wise.  Would sending Loui/ Sven there essentially be the same as sending them to the minors?

It wouldn’t be the same because they would still be getting NHL salaries.

 

Their cap hit likely wouldn’t count towards the cap until they’re activated.

 

Whether that means we save the same amount of cap with Loui as if he were in the minors I’m not sure. That would be nice though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

See Gary (Buttman), you should have put the 32nd franchise in Canada.

 

May be a good time for realignment:

Cancel Arizona, Florida, or any other US team that does not garner any reasonable fan support.

Add at least one more Canadian franchise out of Quebec City, Hamilton, the Maritimes, or Regina!

 

There, I said it, I know nobody thinks it would work, but I believe Saskabush would get right behind the Regina Vaginas Anginas as they gave everybody else heart attacks; couldn't use the Regina Pats I suppose; Saskatchewan Flatlanders; the Saskatchewan Prairies, Prairie Dogs, Arizona Desert Dogs become the Saskabush Prairie Dogs, Florida Panthers become the Flatland See-Your-Dog-Run-Away-Forevers; ; ; world record Mule Deer Bucks in N.Sask...Saskatchewan Stags, Bucks, Blacktails, Muleys ..

 

So much time; so little hockey..

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, Goal:thecup said:

See Gary (Buttman), you should have put the 32nd franchise in Canada.

 

May be a good time for realignment:

Cancel Arizona, Florida, or any other US team that does not garner any reasonable fan support.

Add at least one more Canadian franchise out of Quebec City, Hamilton, the Maritimes, or Regina!

 

There, I said it, I know nobody thinks it would work, but I believe Saskabush would get right behind the Regina Vaginas Anginas as they gave everybody else heart attacks; couldn't use the Regina Pats I suppose; Saskatchewan Flatlanders; the Saskatchewan Prairies, Prairie Dogs, Arizona Desert Dogs become the Saskabush Prairie Dogs, Florida Panthers become the Flatland See-Your-Dog-Run-Away-Forevers; ; ; world record Mule Deer Bucks in N.Sask...Saskatchewan Stags, Bucks, Blacktails, Muleys ..

 

So much time; so little hockey..

Saskatchewan Roughriders NHL club. ;)

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

So I guess you only play your divisional opponents 8 times each? And no out of division play until the playoffs, in a bubble?

Don't know if the plan has changed but a month or so ago they were talking of having the top-4 teams of each division qualify for the post-season.  The divisional format would be kept until the end of the 2nd round when there's 1 team standing per division.   

 

The league is trying to remain as flexible as possible and the format could change as the season goes along if borders open up.  The divisional breakdown might not last the full season but as long as the border is closed they won't change the format for equity reasons.  If the Canada division can only play each other so will the other divisions.

 

 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ugh... Calgary 8X... 

9x or maybe even 10x.   There are only 7 teams in the Canadian division while the others have 8.  

 

56 games against 6 opponents would be 4x 9 games + 2x 10 games

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Call me a pessimist, Christmas and New Years will see a spike in covid and probably take 6-8 weeks to get down to an ok level. 

I want to see hockey, but I doubt it's going to happen. Unless there's a series of bubble arenas. So does that mean they play the other 6 teams in Canada 9 times? (54 games?)

That would give us a taste of the original six era that's for sure. 

 

I think as long as the players stick to the rules in place things should be fine.

It seems a lot of the NFL cases have happened when players break protocol, same with baseball.

Of all the major sports hockey players seem the most likely to refrain from getting bombed at a strip club the night before a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Man, Tampa is going to demolish their division. Carolina is the only other good team.

They're clearly above the other's heads (at least until they actually start moving salary and youth) but Nashville is not remotely a bad team and neither CBJ or MIN are push overs either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

They're clearly above the other's heads (at least until they actually start moving salary and youth) but Nashville is not remotely a bad team and neither CBJ or MIN are push overs either.

That's true, but on paper it looks unbalanced. The division with the New Yorks looks much stronger than the others.

 

A team like Buffalo probably thought they had a good chance of making it in the Atlantic after adding Hall... now it just got twice as tough :lol:

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Man, Tampa is going to demolish their division. Carolina is the only other good team.

Apparently there is a pushback on the re-alignment so these divisions might not stand other than Canada.  

 

In the initial version it was Pittsburgh in lieu of Carolina.  The East has far less travel and no time zone issue but looks to be the group of death while the Central looks more balanced with Tampa ahead of the pack and Detroit/Chicago trailing but the middle 5 could be pretty close.

 

STL and MIN were switched in the earlier version but the Wild wanted to stay in the Central given the time zone difference - maybe now an issue for STL.  The Pacific also looks to be the least competitive with a clear top-4 and bottom-4.

 

They need 2/3rds of the Board of Governors to approve a re-alignment per LeBrun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aGENT said:

They're clearly above the other's heads (at least until they actually start moving salary and youth) but Nashville is not remotely a bad team and neither CBJ or MIN are push overs either.

They're not "bad" teams, but none of them looked particularly great last year either.

Edited by D-Money
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...