The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, mll said:

Don't know if the plan has changed but a month or so ago they were talking of having the top-4 teams of each division qualify for the post-season.  The divisional format would be kept until the end of the 2nd round when there's 1 team standing per division.   

The league is trying to remain as flexible as possible and the format could change as the season goes along if borders open up.  The divisional breakdown might not last the full season but as long as the border is closed they won't change the format for equity reasons.  If the Canada division can only play each other so will the other divisions.

9x or maybe even 10x.   There are only 7 teams in the Canadian division while the others have 8.  

56 games against 6 opponents would be 4x 9 games + 2x 10 games

Imagine getting swept in a season series... losing to the same team 9 times in a season. That's rough.

There are going to be a lot of regular season games played with playoff intensity. Very much looking forward to the season.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy all year. Please have Loui Eriksson want to finish his career in Sweden starting Dec 25/2020.  If you can get me the winning numbers on the 6/49,  bonus. 

Signed,

Ghostsof1915 (aka The Ghost of Christmas Past)

Is there an addendum to the will, grandpa?:wub:

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Grampa/grandpa
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think it would be a lot of fun to just run seven game series against each team sequentially. 

I wonder if something like that could be done just for the Canadian division, or would the American divisions need to also do that, to keep the league consistent.  

On 12/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy all year. Please have Loui Eriksson want to finish his career in Sweden starting Dec 25/2020.  If you can get me the winning numbers on the 6/49,  bonus. 

Signed,

Ghostsof1915 (aka The Ghost of Christmas Past)

Let me win the lotto max and ill cover whatever loui is owed so he can retire with full salary

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm damn stoked.  Won't complain about any of it.....hockey will be back and it's just in time to save me from going crazy.

Going crazy ... I hear ya. I’m already there and unfortunately only had enough for a one way ticket...

Can’t wait for some hockey again and am counting down the days until the Juniors. Sure hope they can pull it off with no major issues. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, zapperman said:

Going crazy ... I hear ya. I’m already there and unfortunately only had enough for a one way ticket...

Can’t wait for some hockey again and am counting down the days until the Juniors. Sure hope they can pull it off with no major issues. 

Me too....exactly what I'm doing.   "Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let this happen"

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm damn stoked.  Won't complain about any of it.....hockey will be back and it's just in time to save me from going crazy.

"Lonelines weighs heavily on us all. In fact the only thing keeping my slender grip on reality is my collection of singing potatoes."

Holly- Red Dwarf

I don’t know about anyone else but the past 9 months have really felt like the 04 lockout. I watched the playoffs but I was definitely nowhere near as invested as in playoff years past. I think it’s gonna take fans coming back into arenas before I buy in 

• Wat 1

2020 has been a year like no other, I'm happy to see any slivers of hockey regardless of length of season, formats, whatever.  I'm much more appreciative of the basics these days I suppose, recognizing what an effort is required in planning and preparing to put on the show.  Shortened season this year, hopefully in fall 2021 we will be all systems go for a full regular season again - dare I say "normal"?   Butts in seats, Kraken in the league, regular divisional alignment....so much to look forward to!  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, skategal said:

2020 has been a year like no other, I'm happy to see any slivers of hockey regardless of length of season, formats, whatever.  I'm much more appreciative of the basics these days I suppose, recognizing what an effort is required in planning and preparing to put on the show.  Shortened season this year, hopefully in fall 2021 we will be all systems go for a full regular season again - dare I say "normal"?   Butts in seats, Kraken in the league, regular divisional alignment....so much to look forward to!  

Sort of makes us have a deeper appreciation for something we maybe take for granted at times.  For me, sports has always been there and to have it removed for a time made me understand how important it really is in my life.

Let's get this thing going!  Can hardly wait for the World Juniors...which have always been a Christmas tradition for me but this year, as I'm alone, will be something so gratifying.  Warm up for the start of the season in January!   Even when life is bad, it's good.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

So just to put another variable into this mess

Did anyone hear on yesterdays radio sports talk

The suggestion, that the NHl may buy covid vaccine for their players

and have them all vaccinated early?

I can't remember which station, as I was jumping back and forth

But it would change the senario again.......

The question came up about how fans would feel about athletes getting vaccinated first

Hmm........??????