The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

57 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's 'funny' they spend $600 billion on the department of defense (something astronomical like that) to prevent another 9/11, but the CDC is a minuscule 6 billion - and now the States very well have the potential to get ravaged by a virus because of the under funding and nonchalant attitude for several weeks. Oh, and there is no Coronastan so the might of the US military can't bring democracy to it. 

Wow! So much nonsense in so little space. How one spends on rent has nothing to do with how much one spends on natural gas. The necessity of defence spending was and is already in existence; until a couple of months ago no-one even knew this virus existed - there are the possibility of billions of threats to respond to and we do not have infinite resources, so we can only respond to threats as they manifest themselves. Because there are virtually unlimited threats and limited resources we have to prioritize. We prioritize based on what we know. Human beings are not omniscient, we get to know something causally - through learning. Because we have to prioritize, we must allocate resources based on what we know - throwing away our resources before we know what we are dealing with is idiotic - they cannot be efficiently spent or allocated. Willy-billy spending is a great way to end up marching on your manly member. 

Since we cannot act without knowledge, we have gain knowledge before we are capable of effective action - we have already learned that chloroquine may be an effective treatment: https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/chloroquine

Bayer has already donated three million doses to the US government. The firm can rapidly ramp up further production as needed. It is a 70 year old drug that is inexpensive to manufacture and already in extensive use in the third world as a malaria treatment.

There is also some evidence that zinc lozenges may help (as they do with colds and the flu):
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health/can-zinc-lozenges-help-coronavirus-infections

The private sector is already testing vaccines: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-investigational-vaccine-covid-19-begins

A simple search reveals many vaccines in development and some already being tested.

The scientific process regarding this outbreak is well in hand with existing resources.

The next problem is with testing, and the private sector is already on the move: https://time.com/5805953/home-covid-19-test-everlywell/

After that, the problem is with medical resources to treat the already ill: private companies are already re-purposing existing assets to produce necessary masks, hand sanitizers (many liquor manufacturers have already repurposed some of theirt facilities to make this -  https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/litchfield-distillery-now-producing-hand-sanitizer/2241761/  , ventilators, etc. There is already a competition to design an inexpensive, easily made ventilator (one that would easily be made for use in the third world) - an initiative started in Montreal.

And so on. Making commentary critical of the US response is ridiculous - this Wuhan China outbreak has been dealt with seriously from the very beginning.

The real problem of this outbreak is the economic consequence of what may turn out to be, in retrospect, a massive over-reaction. Forty-two thousand people died of the flu last year in the US and that did not bring the world economy to a halt. We shall see whether this outbreak was unprecedented, whether it required this unpredicted response. It probably did, and from that we may very well learn something, after all, we are not omniscient - knowledge is gained causally, not automatically - perhaps the Chinese communist government will learn that open markets for the slaughter of exotic animals (the origin of SARS https://www.genengnews.com/news/coronavirus-evolved-naturally-and-is-not-a-laboratory-construct-genetic-study-shows/) and the likely origin of this latest epidemic). Now, after SARS, these markets had been closed, but pressures within China led to their re-opening... and this gift to the world. The Chinese people are NOT responsible for this, but their government is. Much like the Soviet example of  Chernobyl, the secrecy and downward pressure to eliminate bad news and possible criticism is a feature of totalitarian regimes, not an accident.

Question, because I don't have Facebook: 

Is there any advertising going on on social media to promote proper healthy safety practices? There is such a large population of people who don't watch the news, so I can only imagine there are large swathes of people who have no idea what's really going on and how to do their part. 

So, when we think that people are just being selfish, maybe they're just plain ignorant to the severity of the situation?

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Forty-two thousand people died of the flu last year in the US

Ok, so all the people that die of Covid-19 will be in addition to those deaths from flu, unless the flu is going to take the year off?

So perhaps the fact that Covid-19 will be additional deaths on top of all the other causes and numbers of deaths is what has people worried.  mmm Just maybe?

• Upvote 1

Just now, AppleJack said:

Fair enough. They have occasionally had dogs.

Well for anyone else looking to adopt or Foster a kitty they are in need.

I wish I could......no pets allowed where I live, otherwise I would already have about 3 or 4.

I am starting to re-think my living situation with this current situation.  I live in a large highrise.  I am currently in self-isolation after returning from a US vacation, so can’t leave my suite.   There are a lot of people still coming and going in/out of the building.  
I don’t have in-suite laundry and was away for almost 4 weeks.  
If I lived in a single dwelling I could go out in my yard, have pets, not worry about all these neighbours and their germs and do some laundry! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redhdlois said:

I wish I could......no pets allowed where I live, otherwise I would already have about 3 or 4.

I am starting to re-think my living situation with this current situation.  I live in a large highrise.  I am currently in self-isolation after returning from a US vacation, so can’t leave my suite.   There are a lot of people still coming and going in/out of the building.  
I don’t have in-suite laundry and was away for almost 4 weeks.  
If I lived in a single dwelling I could go out in my yard, have pets, not worry about all these neighbours and their germs and do some laundry! 

We are also in a high raise apartment with shared laundry but we are allowed pets. Technically only 2 cats per apartment but we got permission to get a third otherwise I would apply to foster another one :lol:

The kitties have done a lot to keep me sane during the quarantine.(self isolation due to a bad cough etc).

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, AppleJack said:

We are also in a high raise apartment with shared laundry but we are allowed pets. Technically only 2 cats per apartment but we got permission to get a third otherwise I would apply to foster another one :lol:

The kitties have done a lot to keep me sane during the quarantine.(self isolation due to a bad cough etc).

I was thinking about it the other night how having a pet would be so beneficial for people right now...myself included; and my elderly Mom that is in lockdown in an independent retirement home.  No visitors,including relatives allowed....I haven’t seen her for over 5 weeks now. 

• Huggy Bear 3

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I was thinking about it the other night how having a pet would be so beneficial for people right now...myself included; and my elderly Mom that is in lockdown in an independent retirement home.  No visitors,including relatives allowed....I haven’t seen her for over 5 weeks now. 

I have been calling my grandma alot more cause she is in a home as well..

I am obviously biased but if you are able to get a pet do it just make sure that pet is for life. There also pet stores that are delivering supplies.

• Huggy Bear 1