The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There are so many branches to this, though.

What about if they go to school but that means staying away from Grandparents or loved ones?  There's also an impact there.

And mental health issues do offer "help" to combat them...right now, covid does not (other than try not to get it).

Kids ARE resilient and if parents do a good job of guiding them through this, they'll be just fine.  If they go to school in a bit of an "unknown" atmosphere that has teachers questioning the whole deal that loss of a sense of security may also be felt.  That it won't be "business as usual" and will be strange and an adjustment as well.

I feel it's premature and that September makes sense.  But I also get that parents have limited options and do have to return to work so it's all about finding something that works for everyone.  And considering the risk that teachers and children may be facing is part of that.

Teachers are very good at putting on the mask, so to speak.  They will make it as normally as they possibly can.  I know that the same old "Mr A" will be there greeting the kids every day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true but with some social anxiety disorders kids need the structure. Its so tough to figure out whats right for one kid vs another. You may think you're helping with home schooling but you might be doing harm. Its really tough to figure that one out. 

it has been, but we have to remember we're writing this as we go.  When the next wave hits, or the next virus comes around, we will be better equipped to handle it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Teachers are very good at putting on the mask, so to speak.  They will make it as normally as they possibly can.  I know that the same old "Mr A" will be there greeting the kids every day.

Some will...but let's face it, some teachers are young/new and may be hesitant to jump right back in without a solid plan in place.  And it seems this test drive is really just that...winging it.  

I thank you for that.  The good ones are so invaluable but there are some who aren't quite equipped as well and so it's important that it's timed AFTER teachers are provided a good plan, not as they go along.  I've encountered a few teachers who were extremely immature and I'm not sure that they're ready to take the helm ... if a kid is coughing in their face it may become a bit daunting of a job for some.

• Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Some will...but let's face it, some teachers are young/new and may be hesitant to jump right back in without a solid plan in place.  And it seems this test drive is really just that...winging it.  

I thank you for that.  The good ones are so invaluable but there are some who aren't quite equipped as well and so it's important that it's timed AFTER teachers are provided a good plan, not as they go along.  I've encountered a few teachers who were extremely immature and I'm not sure that they're ready to take the helm ... if a kid is coughing in their face it may become a bit daunting of a job for some.

I agree and that's where those of us who have been doing this for a long time have to step up and support those colleagues.  An unofficial part of my job, as a non-enrolling teacher, is to provide support for classroom teachers, to make sure they are on solid footing, emotionally and professionally and to recognize and help them when they need it and don't feel they can ask for it.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Neither is saying that attending school is a preventative measure for mental health. As a parent of a child with mental health issues I can attest to that. Guess where the greatest stressors occured for my child? 

Looks like there might be some jobs for tutors in the summer and starting next September.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I know people will point out that BC has a different 'curve' than many places, and we seem to have done a better job overall at 'flattening', but to me there are far more risks than rewards to opening up schools in June. 

From the article linked below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/health/coronavirus-children-transmission-school.html

preaching to the choir here.  I just don't get why they don't leave it until September, when we have a better base of knowledge.  If they take the summer to put together a well thought out, detailed plan and give educators ample time to plan and prep, there's no need to have a "dry run". 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think the key thing we are forgetting is that this all about BALANCE. We knew going into this that we were not going to save everyone from this and the key objective was to not overwhelm our healthcare system. I think I read somewhere that about 70% of us were eventually going to get it whether it be the 1st wave , 2nd wave or anytime after that. 

So just like a sinking ship where we put the women and children in the lifeboats first, we know that the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are the most vulnerable, so those are the one we should be concentrating on. 

Concentrating on some rare child symptoms, which are way less lethal and ,may or may not be associated with covid 19, seems like we are missing the main point in that our elderly population are literally dying, every day. I think the focus should be how we can protect the "vulnerable" until a vaccine is found.

I don't see why we can't protect both!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I know people will point out that BC has a different 'curve' than many places, and we seem to have done a better job overall at 'flattening', but to me there are far more risks than rewards to opening up schools in June. 

From the article linked below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/health/coronavirus-children-transmission-school.html

Its not just a cough onto someone else.

So many people are not getting that Covid is also on surfaces and in the air.

Kids shame adults in terms of research and discovery. They will touch EEEEEEVERYTHIIIIIING.

So they don’t even have to be asymptomatic. Their clothes may have it just by having been EEEEEEEEEVERYWHEEEEEERE.

Like cats. 
@strawns :)

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think the key thing we are forgetting is that this all about BALANCE. We knew going into this that we were not going to save everyone from this and the key objective was to not overwhelm our healthcare system. I think I read somewhere that about 70% of us were eventually going to get it whether it be the 1st wave , 2nd wave or anytime after that. 

So just like a sinking ship where we put the women and children in the lifeboats first, we know that the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are the most vulnerable, so those are the one we should be concentrating on. 

Concentrating on some rare child symptoms, which are way less lethal and ,may or may not be associated with covid 19, seems like we are missing the main point in that our elderly population are literally dying, every day. I think the focus should be how we can protect the "vulnerable" until a vaccine is found.

The thing is, the entire point of not overloading the healthcare system is so that we don't have to choose between the elderly and others in terms of who to save. Italy's healthcare system was so overloaded the literally needed to choose who lives and dies.

Not overloading the healthcare system means we don't need to resort to what you are saying at all.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Omg. 

A mutation is the last thing the world needs.  Means any vaccines developed might only work for certain strains.

:sadno:

It may already have mutated a few times already.

Many people in Canada and in America recall having one of the worst colds they’ve ever had all the way back to November, especially on the West Coast.

Spikes in Pneumonia and heart attacks during that time in California.

It may have mutated numerous times already and continues to mutate.

Since this is an Earthly phenomenon, this world has its cure. But it’s probably in the Amazon. And it’s burning away for sugarcane.

Because.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

That is my argument for home schooling for the children who can. 

Not all children fit under the cloak of the institution. Many suffer Because of the institutionalize educational system and will never reach their potential.

But some, when left to themselves, will learn the violin in a month, go on to read that pyrodynamics book no one in the house ever read, and will invent things that change the world.

Some. Not all.

Make that few instead of some. 

If left alone, my kids would be playing video games, watching TV, and on the internet. 

:(

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

preaching to the choir here.  I just don't get why they don't leave it until September, when we have a better base of knowledge.  If they take the summer to put together a well thought out, detailed plan and give educators ample time to plan and prep, there's no need to have a "dry run". 

This is part of the Government.   

When have they gotten everything right the first time?

Lol

:P

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It may already have mutated a few times already.

Many people in Canada and in America recall having one of the worst colds they’ve ever had all the way back to November, especially one the West Coast.

Spikes in Pneumonia and heart attacks during that time in California.

It may have mutated numerous times already and continues to mutate.

Since this is an Earthly phenomenon, this world has its cure. But it’s probably in the Amazon. And it’s burning away for sugarcane.

Because.

My whole family went through a major cold back in January/February. I hadn't felt that bad in years. It has crossed our mind if it was an early strain of the coronavirus. My parents basically had a cold in the Dominican Republic. Then they came back and gave it to us.

Our neighbours also had a major cold in February when a colleague of her's recently came back from China.

The 2nd instance we are pretty sure was coronavirus whereas our cold is kind of up in the air about what it was. Both instances involved really bad cases as well as really minor cases depending on the person.

• Huggy Bear 3

Canadians falling for conspiracy theories:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/half-of-canadians-fooled-by-covid-19-conspiracy-theories-study/ar-BB14qAGS?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

Nearly half of Canadians subscribe to coronavirus conspiracy theories -- including debunked miracle cures, notions of a 5G cover-up or that the virus was engineered in a Chinese lab, according to a new study.

The School of Journalism at Carleton University in Ottawa surveyed 2,000 Canadians and found that 46 percent believe in at least one of four key myths circulating online.

"This high rate is alarming because conspiracy theories risk overwhelming an already overwhelmed health system," study co-author and Carleton professor Sarah Everts told AFP on Thursday.

The fear, she said, is that people won't take the COVID-19 threat seriously and will ignore public health guidance such as social distancing, opening the door to a resurgence of the outbreak.

The top fake, according to the study -- that the coronavirus was engineered as a bioweapon in a Chinese lab and released into the general population -- was believed by 26 percent of Canadians.

Another 11 percent of respondents said they thought COVID-19 is not a serious illness but was being spread to cover up alleged harmful health effects associated with exposure to 5G wireless technology.

Police in Quebec are investigating this belief as a possible motive after several cell towers in the province were set ablaze.

Twenty-three percent also said they believe unproven claims promoted by US President Donald Trump that medications such as hydroxychloroquine -- an anti-malaria drug which has been linked to heart complications -- are effective in treating the illness.

And 17 percent thought that rinsing their nose with a saline solution would provide protection from infection.

The survey was conducted May 5 to 8, and has a 2.19 percent margin of error.

The researchers noted that people who spent a lot of time on social media platforms, including Twitter, Instagram and TikTok, were most likely to believe in the conspiracy theories.

Some 57 percent of Canadians also said they believed they could spot misinformation. Everts said this overconfidence "sets people up for being duped."

She said it's human nature to want to understand goings-on, especially in a crisis when people feel anxious or powerless.

"When bad things happen, we want to know why because it's comforting, even if the explanation is bizarre," she said. 

"And people during this pandemic have certainly come up with some bizarre scapegoats"

• Upvote 1