The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They're calling it a 'Sputnik' moment. 

They plan to be first.

More like the Vodka moment because they’re drunk if they think they have one this quickly. Or we’d be drunk to try it. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

heh, yeah the vaccine requires a three+ story drop from a window as part of the process.

Haha,That is a guaranteed cure.

Apparently they have been testing this new vaccine on their troops. Human Guinea Pigs.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Heh explain the Mike Reno type headband you’re still wearing.:P

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't wear headbands either. Because I suck at tennis. 

When I see people with headbands I think "interesting way to hide the lobotomy scars".

• Cheers 1

Honestly, with all the red tape in a Western country, it wouldn't be surprising to see an overseas nation be the first to come up with an effective vaccine. I would have thought China (oh, the irony) but Russia makes sense. They'd love to be the world's heros. Mind you, any power would.

From what I understand (take it with a grain of salt given media bias) they are not exactly following proper protocol when it comes to testing the vaccine, and so far have released no data to back their claims as to how close they really are.

What a collective sigh of relief there will be heard as soon as an effective and safe vaccine starts being distributed. I am not young, and this has been the biggest cluster-f I have witnessed in my lifetime.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, with all the red tape in a Western country, it wouldn't be surprising to see an overseas nation be the first to come up with an effective vaccine. I would have thought China (oh, the irony) but Russia makes sense. They'd love to be the world's heros. Mind you, any power would.

From what I understand (take it with a grain of salt given media bias) they are not exactly following proper protocol when it comes to testing the vaccine, and so far have released no data to back their claims as to how close they really are.

What a collective sigh of relief there will be heard as soon as an effective and safe vaccine starts being distributed. I am not young, and this has been the biggest cluster-f I have witnessed in my lifetime.

I highly caution anyone against taking any substance offered by Poutine......chemical or biological

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/vladimir-putin-is-an-expert-at-poisoning-dissidents-trump-shouldnt-just-let-it-happen/2020/03/01/b557a6a2-5987-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Yup.  They were talking about the vaccine in development in Quebec (I think, maybe Ontario), and they did their first round of testing, things looked positive but now theres another long step in it where its going to be months before they will do another trial, etc.  This is one thing where they need to expedite things, theres only so long the economy can suffer and if theres a vaccine that they feel has a chance at atleast helping the cause they need to do it sooner than later, even if its not a permanent long term vaccine where that can keep developing a permanent fixture. 

8 hours ago, stawns said:

as an educator, I am contractually obligated to interevene in any abuse of a minor.........and that's one case I would be more than happy to do so.

from the article, quote of owner

"Ninety-nine per cent of our customers have been amazing," said Stodola 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yup.  They were talking about the vaccine in development in Quebec (I think, maybe Ontario), and they did their first round of testing, things looked positive but now theres another long step in it where its going to be months before they will do another trial, etc.  This is one thing where they need to expedite things, theres only so long the economy can suffer and if theres a vaccine that they feel has a chance at atleast helping the cause they need to do it sooner than later, even if its not a permanent long term vaccine where that can keep developing a permanent fixture. 

They're thinking, now, that it might be mutating again and that it might be tough to develop a vaccine for it.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They're thinking, now, that it might be mutating again and that it might be tough to develop a vaccine for it.

It'll be like the flu pretty much.  Right now they look at the strain that Australia will get during winter and try to predict what it'll mutate to by the time it comes to North America.  Thats why the seasonal flu shots are hit and miss some years, theres only so much predicting you can do to try and avoid the flu.  I know some years I have gotten the shot, and not even gotten a sniffle but other years I could clearly feel a bit ill. Its going to have to be one of those, you try and get the current strain while continue working on other strains.  Even if we ended up getting it to a yearly shot thats not the end of the world unless you are one of thsoe anti-vaxxer people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

It'll be like the flu pretty much.  Right now they look at the strain that Australia will get during winter and try to predict what it'll mutate to by the time it comes to North America.  Thats why the seasonal flu shots are hit and miss some years, theres only so much predicting you can do to try and avoid the flu.  I know some years I have gotten the shot, and not even gotten a sniffle but other years I could clearly feel a bit ill. Its going to have to be one of those, you try and get the current strain while continue working on other strains.  Even if we ended up getting it to a yearly shot thats not the end of the world unless you are one of thsoe anti-vaxxer people.

Except far more infectious, far more deadly and far more long term complications

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Except far more infectious, far more deadly and far more long term complications

Along with the vaccinations I'm hopeful that we find more effective treatments to limit/reduce/eliminate some of the long term effects.  If research can uncover why it strikes some people so much harder than others we have a better chance of reducing those effects and reducing the death rate.  It's going to be a long term issue though, and that's tough to see.  How long did it take us to find treatments for other diseases?  Plus, who knows whether the virus will either continue to mutate or die out of it's own accord?  

So much unknown.  

• Vintage 2