The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree, but that's some big picture stuff.  In the context of this pandemic, it's hard to argue that the Libs have any control over when we get vaccine or how much of it.  In fact, we were told, in November, that we weren't top of the priority list and that other countries would be well ahead of us for vaccinations.

it is big picture, but its also the reason we don't have our own vaccine. Health systems are massive things, and when you cede production to other countries it leaves you vulnerable. Thats what we did. There's nothing Trudeau (or anyone else) can do in the span of months to alter it. 

But... it appears that the feds are funding new vaccine production capability, at least in the short term that might come into play if we need annual covid shots, which does seem likely given all the variants. We'll see if successive governments have the brains to keep it going, or if we let them blow it again.

People really don't seem to understand how much we rely on the US. There are things like critical blood products we no longer make, we don't (yet) make vaccines, we don't make key medical equipment, or many basic drugs. Its embarrassing to have to beg India for help, let alone rely on a guy like Trump. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is big picture, but its also the reason we don't have our own vaccine. Health systems are massive things, and when you cede production to other countries it leaves you vulnerable. Thats what we did. There's nothing Trudeau (or anyone else) can do in the span of months to alter it. 

But... it appears that the feds are funding new vaccine production capability, at least in the short term that might come into play if we need annual covid shots, which does seem likely given all the variants. We'll see if successive governments have the brains to keep it going, or if we let them blow it again.

People really don't seem to understand how much we rely on the US. There are things like critical blood products we no longer make, we don't (yet) make vaccines, we don't make key medical equipment, or many basic drugs. Its embarrassing to have to beg India for help, let alone rely on a guy like Trump. 

no argument here on any of that

Looks like Disney may have got involved. Let’s hope it’s gone for good.

Canadian social media accounts aimed at spreading anti-mask misinformation and conspiracy theories to kids through Disney princesses have gone dark following a media report Tuesday.

In an email to HuffPost Canada, Ottawa-based cosplayer Mary-Jean Harris, the operator of the “Freedom Princess” Facebook and Instagram pages confirmed that the accounts will be taking a break for the “foreseeable future.” 

The move follows a Vice World News report on their links to both the anti-mask movement and Harris’s other business venture, Fairytale Princess Parties. 
The Freedom Princess pages featured photos and videos of Harris encouraging kids to disobey public health guidelines, while dressed up as popular Disney princess characters such as Snow White and Elsa from “Frozen.”

“This is a place for children to interact with their favourite characters and learn about the government’s restrictions of our freedoms that threaten the prosperity of our lives in a fun way,” a welcome post on the Instagram page read.

• Cheers 1

Pandemic has revealed all the worts in the health care system. 

No domestic PPE production to respond fast enough. 

No existing robust vaccine infrastructure to pivot to new tech or platforms. 

Poor infection control in long term care or nursing homes. 

Poor general health care in indigenous populations. 

It's vaccine nationalism now.  Isreal paid more than the market price and agreed to share all the anonymous medical data with Pfizer.  The paid about $30 per dose, compared to $20 wholesale. Pfizer states that it has agreed to accelerate the shipment of vaccines for data sharing.   I guess Canada could have done that, but would Canadians approve of that? 

Edited by Jaimito

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Looks like Disney may have got involved. Let’s hope it’s gone for good.

Canadian social media accounts aimed at spreading anti-mask misinformation and conspiracy theories to kids through Disney princesses have gone dark following a media report Tuesday.

In an email to HuffPost Canada, Ottawa-based cosplayer Mary-Jean Harris, the operator of the “Freedom Princess” Facebook and Instagram pages confirmed that the accounts will be taking a break for the “foreseeable future.” 

The move follows a Vice World News report on their links to both the anti-mask movement and Harris’s other business venture, Fairytale Princess Parties. 
The Freedom Princess pages featured photos and videos of Harris encouraging kids to disobey public health guidelines, while dressed up as popular Disney princess characters such as Snow White and Elsa from “Frozen.”

“This is a place for children to interact with their favourite characters and learn about the government’s restrictions of our freedoms that threaten the prosperity of our lives in a fun way,” a welcome post on the Instagram page read.

kids be like "who the **** is Snow White?"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Pandemic has revealed all the worts in the health care system.....education system, criminal justice system, social welfare system, EI system, child-care system, child welfare system, ect....

But........it undoubtedly has also revealed compassion, empathy, kindness, tolerance and respect that exists in humanity. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Did you miss the news where at least two firms announced delays?  Shortly after other nations have suddenly have been given a priority. (Cough..cough US).

Once again this is why we need our own industry in various forms. I'm not saying be completely self sufficient. But the less we have to rely on others nations for supplies and products, the more secure Canada is. 

Yes, totally, and the government had enough time to set up facilities, buy a licence and start producing our own supplies of vaccine. But time was wasted, and now people who could be saved, dying every day. People here saying "Oh, we are just a few weeks off". Well, every day of delay  means more dead people.

27 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Yes, totally, and the government had enough time to set up facilities, buy a licence and start producing our own supplies of vaccine. But time was wasted, and now people who could be saved, dying every day. People here saying "Oh, we are just a few weeks off". Well, every day of delay  means more dead people.

Your post is at least a year too late. Hindsight is 20/20. 

• Cheers 3

On 2/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Just a question; Has it been established what exactly the cause of this was? 

Is it still wet-market? Is that confirmed? Is the thought it could've come from the Wuhan lab valid, or is that a Trumpist QAnnon theory? 

Study of a top ranked german scientist came out today saying that COVID 19' s origin was a lab in Wuhan. Study is only available in german language unfortunately. Listed to the interview on TV and the reasoning of this scientist was pretty convincing to me. It is common knowledge among leading scientists that the staff in the Wuhan lab performed some research on the corona - virus in the context of the gain of function research. Most convincing argument was that COVID 19 is highly susceptible to pin to human cells. That's something that hasn't been seen from corona virus incorporated in bats.

According to this scientist there was a discussion among scientist's that the gain of function research is extremely dangerous and therefore this needs to be stopped back in the years 2014-2017. Nevertheless they continued their research in China.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

just got some bad news today, and i am so scared for my sister. a month ago   my other sister gave her kidney to my sister and it took. but my sister has had to stay in a hotel with her hubby so she can go to the hospital everyday, well the renal unit has had covid so it has been hard to rush in and out. last week they had to give her 2 blood transfusions. she was feeling so unwell, this morning they rushed her into the icu because she now has covid, and i suspect her hubby has it too because he has been taking care of her at the hotel and he is just getting over cancer himself. i am so beside myself in fear for both of them.  sorry i just needed to get this out:(

Scary news. Hopefully the decision for icu is mostly abundance of caution.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1