The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

42 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

How is everyone holding up with the holidays looking to be cancelled this year with restrictions coming in for the fully vaccinated? Personally I am pretty burnt out from complying to everything that’s been asked and it’s not good enough. I was looking forward to visiting my 100 year old grandma for Christmas but government knows best. 

Government knows best?  Now that is funny

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

We were just told to take home anything we need for virtual learning, just in case.  

Hope you, the kids you teach and other teachers are staying safe.  Sucks that our government has kinda put teachers by the way side but I know most teachers will do what's right.  Cheers, Stawns, and thank you for the work you do teaching the future generations.

38 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Hope you, the kids you teach and other teachers are staying safe.  Sucks that our government has kinda put teachers by the way side but I know most teachers will do what's right.  Cheers, Stawns, and thank you for the work you do teaching the future generations.

Why I obviously have some selfish safety concerns, most of us are concerned about the safety of our kids and communities.  My school has already lost a parent this fall and I don't want any other kids to go through that.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why I obviously have some selfish safety concerns, most of us are concerned about the safety of our kids and communities.  My school has already lost a parent this fall and I don't want any other kids to go through that.

You're one of the good ones, bud.  I wouldn't say "selfish safety concerns" as you are well within your right to worry about your own and your family's safety.  And to add to that, you got 30+ kids to worry about and their families.  That's a tough thing to do day in day out.  My wife is a pre-school teacher and I know how hard its been on her and the families of her kids.  A lot of places are thinking about their wallets instead of the kids they're meant to care for and teach.

Almost lost a friend to covid, he was in the ICU for 3 weeks, in an induced coma, on a ventilator.  Healthy guy, athlete (kick boxer all his life) and young ol' age of 31.  Thankfully he made it and is close to 100% normal.  THIS should be a warning to those who are unvaxxed.  He was not anti'vax but thought it was "just the flu" and that he was healthy enough to fight it off.  Did not prioritize getting vaxxed and almost paid with his life.  He'd facetime me when he finally came out of the coma and off the ventilator and that was some hard conversations we had.  If he had health issues I don't think he would have made it.  Thankfully he was healthy enough to recover quickly once he was off the ventilator, many others have been in their coma for a month plus.

I understand the frustration with restrictions but I'd rather have no holidays then no loved ones to spend holidays with.  Please everyone, take this seriously and get vaccinated, take the appropriate measure to keep yourself and other safe.  This sucks for everyone but can suck much more if we lose someone we love.

• Vintage 4

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

88,000 cases in the UK - a new high.

You might call this.. a pandemic of the vaccinated. :bigblush:

Vaccination rates in the UK aren't all that high. There's about 21 million unvaxxed people in the UK.

Even lower rates in cities like London.

Remains to be seen how protected the vaxxed population is against Omicron. By the looks of things if people had to get one of them I think most would prefer Omicron over Delta.

Edited by nuckin_futz

56 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

You're one of the good ones, bud.  I wouldn't say "selfish safety concerns" as you are well within your right to worry about your own and your family's safety.  And to add to that, you got 30+ kids to worry about and their families.  That's a tough thing to do day in day out.  My wife is a pre-school teacher and I know how hard its been on her and the families of her kids.  A lot of places are thinking about their wallets instead of the kids they're meant to care for and teach.

Almost lost a friend to covid, he was in the ICU for 3 weeks, in an induced coma, on a ventilator.  Healthy guy, athlete (kick boxer all his life) and young ol' age of 31.  Thankfully he made it and is close to 100% normal.  THIS should be a warning to those who are unvaxxed.  He was not anti'vax but thought it was "just the flu" and that he was healthy enough to fight it off.  Did not prioritize getting vaxxed and almost paid with his life.  He'd facetime me when he finally came out of the coma and off the ventilator and that was some hard conversations we had.  If he had health issues I don't think he would have made it.  Thankfully he was healthy enough to recover quickly once he was off the ventilator, many others have been in their coma for a month plus.

I understand the frustration with restrictions but I'd rather have no holidays then no loved ones to spend holidays with.  Please everyone, take this seriously and get vaccinated, take the appropriate measure to keep yourself and other safe.  This sucks for everyone but can suck much more if we lose someone we love.

Many of us have shared the same stories of folks who have gone through what your friend has. It actually boggles the mind that people after a year of the vaccine being available, question whether it is a safe vaccine. Or whatever conspiracy theory they read on the world wide web. I know of 2 people double vaxxed, and both were seriously ill. One of them in ICU for 16 days, but wasn't intubated, the second felt like a truck ran over him for over two weeks. I believe they are alive because of the vaccine.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

How is everyone holding up with the holidays looking to be cancelled this year with restrictions coming in for the fully vaccinated? Personally I am pretty burnt out from complying to everything that’s been asked and it’s not good enough. I was looking forward to visiting my 100 year old grandma for Christmas but government knows best. 

Someone has to hold the non compliant hands. 

• RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

The restrictions announced today for Christmas visits are as follows:  no travel restrictions, only 10 guests in household, all guests must be fully vaccinated.  Perhaps this is doable for you and your family?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

whats your plan to deliver public heath care?

I own a trades company so I guess I'm as qualified as our graphic designer health minister Patty hedju. What I would've done would be close the borders way sooner. I wouldn't have lied like Tam did and said masks don't work and people were too stupid to wear them properly. The only reason she did that was so people didn't hoard all the masks that the health care people need. Maybe she could of told people how to make their own masks at home like people are doing now. Instead she said shutting the border is racist and would not work. She praised china's handling of the virus and the WHO refused to even say the name Taiwan and listen to how they were doing better keeping the virus in check compared to other countries. 

In the beginning Bonnie went on tv and arrogantly said masks don't work. Then she told people to use glory holes for sex. She said young kids don't transmit the virus and don't need masks in school. Then after a bunch of mom's in north van complained about that "the science" suddenly changed and are now required. Also she told us that she and Horgan would never support a vax pass, even though they were working on it at the time, and then flip flopped again. Then it was 60-70 percent of people needed to be vaccinated for herd immunity, now it's 100. I don't know why people keep listening to them.

If omicron is more contagious and less dangerous it's time to keep wearing masks in stores and such and open things up again. This has gone on long enough. Everyone who wanted or needed the vaccine has got it. It's time to move on. I know all the covid enthusiasts here are gonna paper bag me but I don't care. Some people aren't happy unless they're scared all the time covid,racism, climate emergency etc. 

Paper bag away now

3 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

I own a trades company so I guess I'm as qualified as our graphic designer health minister Patty hedju. What I would've done would be close the borders way sooner. I wouldn't have lied like Tam did and said masks don't work and people were too stupid to wear them properly. The only reason she did that was so people didn't hoard all the masks that the health care people need. Maybe she could of told people how to make their own masks at home like people are doing now. Instead she said shutting the border is racist and would not work. She praised china's handling of the virus and the WHO refused to even say the name Taiwan and listen to how they were doing better keeping the virus in check compared to other countries. 

In the beginning Bonnie went on tv and arrogantly said masks don't work. Then she told people to use glory holes for sex. She said young kids don't transmit the virus and don't need masks in school. Then after a bunch of mom's in north van complained about that "the science" suddenly changed and are now required. Also she told us that she and Horgan would never support a vax pass, even though they were working on it at the time, and then flip flopped again. Then it was 60-70 percent of people needed to be vaccinated for herd immunity, now it's 100. I don't know why people keep listening to them.

If omicron is more contagious and less dangerous it's time to keep wearing masks in stores and such and open things up again. This has gone on long enough. Everyone who wanted or needed the vaccine has got it. It's time to move on. I know all the covid enthusiasts here are gonna paper bag me but I don't care. Some people aren't happy unless they're scared all the time covid,racism, climate emergency etc. 

Paper bag away now

you say its gone on long enough like there's some kind of choice behind new variants emerging. 

I see a lot of complaining but not a lot of specifics on how you make your decision. I know how people in gov't do it, its been very transparent. 

All I see from you is a suggestion of more risk, not sure for what reason though. 

• Upvote 1

Province introduces new COVID-19 measures for safer holiday season:

To address rising COVID-19 case counts and keep people safe, the provincial health officer is issuing revised orders, which take effect on Monday, Dec. 20, 2021.

Measures will extend to Jan. 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m., and include:

• limiting indoor, personal gatherings, including in rental and vacation properties to the household/residents plus 10 individuals, or one additional household maximum if all are aged 12 and older are fully vaccinated;
  • requiring the BC Vaccine Card for organized events of all sizes and ensuring the QR code is scanned at events;
  • seating requirements and restricting movement between tables at food and liquor-serving premises, and reinforcing the need to wear masks when not seated;
  • limiting venues of 1,000 individuals or more to 50% of the seated capacity with reinforced masking requirements and scanning of the BC Vaccine Card QR code;
  • pausing all sports tournaments while the order is in effect; and
  • all New Year’s Eve organized gatherings and events will be restricted to being seated-only events, with no mingling or dancing allowed.

The provincial health officer is also emphasizing the need for retail stores to have COVID-19 safety plans in place for holiday and Boxing Day sales.

“These measures will help us to slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect the ones we care about,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “Slowing the spread and keeping each other safe is a cause in which we are all connected. It’s that togetherness that will get all of us through the next days and weeks.”

B.C.’s COVID-19 case rate has nearly doubled over the past week. So far, there have been 135 cases of the Omicron variant of concern identified in B.C., with numbers expected to rise rapidly. While public health continues to monitor the impacts of Omicron, including severity of illness and hospitalizations, the recommendation is to take a cautious approach at this time.

“While vaccination remains the best defence against COVID-19, we are now dealing with the new threat of a more transmissible variant,” said Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer. “We need to take these measures until we understand the full impact Omicron will have in the B.C. context. It is imperative people follow the new orders in how they celebrate this season. However, there are many things we can now do safely with reasonable and prudent measures like wearing a mask, staying home when sick, getting tested and, most importantly, getting fully vaccinated.”

In addition to the provincial health officer orders, British Columbians are advised to limit indoor gatherings to those who are fully vaccinated, to ensure proper ventilation indoors, to avoid all travel if not fully vaccinated and to follow the travel advisory issued by the federal government to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada.

The updated orders will be enacted under the Public Health Act.

Quick Facts:

• To date, evidence indicates Omicron is more transmissible than other variants of COVID-19; however, there is limited evidence to date on severity of illness.
  • B.C. has a vaccination rate of 86.8% for all eligible age groups for a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.5% for a second dose.
  • The Province announced its full booster dose campaign on Oct. 26, 2021.
  • Vaccination remains the most effective protection from severe illness.
    • From Dec. 8-14, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 46.3% of cases in B.C., and from Dec. 1-14, accounted for 70.2% of hospitalizations.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0230-002414

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Paper bag away now

If we were still dealing with the original strain, and not Delta and Omicron, then a lower threshold would be needed.  With the variants and how more contagious they are, then the threshold will be much much higher.  Very simple, but for some hard to follow.

Science is self-correcting.  So, changes in message can, and do happen.  For you, those changes are proof of what?  

And BTW it is early days for Omicron.  We fully do not know the implications for this variant yet.  The prudent thing is to treat it a a serious thing.  There are still lots of people who could be vaccinated who choose not to.  Your idea of letting this thing run wild is not a plan of action worth taking.  

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Paper bag away now

Whats a covid enthusiast?

Maybe a new fetish? I might be distracted thinking about glory holes.:lol:

Why are you mentioning the environment?

Anyway, governments are made up of humans. They are facing something new. I'm not surprised they are learning as they go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2