The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Thanksgiving 1.5 weeks ago. Coincidence we see rising numbers...?

On 10/13/2020 at 5:31 PM, Warhippy said:

Just wait.

This is the first holiday that coincided with far cooler temperatures and essentially say large groups of people shutting themselves inside for meals and drinking.

2 weeks from now...

Just saying....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

274 new cases today

Not liking this.

We all pretty much knew the tsunami was coming our way.....

As the only province in Canada  with no mandatory mask policy in our major cities....... clearly we would be slammd hard with new covid infections.

It is what it is.   This election sealed the deal as getting votes is the biggest issue right now unfortunately.  My mom is very elderly and i am focussed right now on keeping her alive. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

As the only province in Canada  with no mandatory mask policy in our major cities....... clearly we would be slammd hard with new covid infections.

It is what it is.   This election sealed the deal as getting votes is the biggest issue right now unfortunately.  My mom is very elderly and i am focussed right now on keeping her alive. 

I truly hope your Mom's ok, KOS.  I understand, completely, that your focus is there and it's the most important thing in this....keeping our loved ones safe.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Look, the city slicker disses us rural folk!:shock:

Cut it out or I break out the banjo music.:mad:

:emot-parrot:

Seriously though Gurn wtf is an 'upscale corner store' and if it does exist, what is it doing in Powell River? I gotta know :lol:

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seriously though Gurn wtf is an 'upscale corner store' and if it does exist, what is it doing in Powell River? I gotta know :lol:

I think he meant more they have a corner / General store that still uses a Scale.......    

HfGrR1TXNrh1yPLXLotczKLUmxgRieZ5cYZ1J45Q

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Used to be a gas bar and corner store. Got rebuilt as condos above a small grocery and coffee bar. Produce section and the best breakfast bun which I've had..

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Le Chateau shutting down.  123 locations across canada citing, Covid 19 

Brick and Mortar chains were already on their way out and malls have been dying since Amazon and online retail became the thing.  But it's no shock that covid is killing these chains.

Remarkable how many multi billions dollar operations though are closing their doors after a few months of depressed income.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/le-chateau-ccaa-1.5774108

16 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

While regular masks help, it is not at the top of the hierarchy that will keep people safe.  Distancing and avoid prolonged sharing of indoor air is the critical part.  Wearing a mask will not eliminate the need for this.  Too many people are partying, going to restaurants and bars etc.  Wearing regulars masks in those settings wont help much. people will take them off to eat and drink, wear them incorrectly (nose exposed, under the chin, excessive touching of the masks, etc).    

If you are concerned for your mom, consider the area she lives and movement of people, and if she is able to isolate from others then that is the best.  ordering food online/delivery, safe drop offs , avoid public transits etc.  Wearing a N95 masks when she is in public will help (but stay outdoors, keep 6 ft distance as much as possible, minimize prolonged sharing of indoor air), but she needs to learn how to wear it correctly and have a good fit.  they are not comfortable to wear for long periods.  I wear them at work but it gets pretty comfortable after 4-5 hrs.  Get at least 7, mark them one for each day, and rotate them.  if you can get more, that will be better.  Avoid touching the outside surface when taking them off, and wash hands after handling.  And if she is elderly, don't avoid regular dr visits or need to go to ER.  Statistically they can still get sick from other medical conditions.  Get the flu shot too.     

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

Italy reports record 19,143 virus cases vs 16,079 yesterday

Fri 23 Oct 2020 14:59:56 GMT

Italy case count continues to surge

A week ago, cases were at 10,009 and a week before that at 5372 and a week before that at 2499. That's nearly 100% week-over-week growth for three weeks straight.

The problem with all the healthcare advances to make COVID less-lethal is that it makes people more cavalier. In turn, more people get it and you end up with the same amount of deaths.

The chart doesn't include today:
Italy reports record cases.
  • Upvote 1

US coronavirus new cases hit record at 77,640

Fri 23 Oct 2020 12:05:06 GMT

NBC tally says cases hit a record today

• Prior record was 75,723 on July 29
  • 921 deaths reported yesterday

This isn't the official tally but NBC likely added up the latest state totals. The virus is really raging in the midwest:

This winter is going to be a nightmare.
  • Upvote 1

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

Yesterday's numbers

274 new cases with 10,398 new tests done  =  2.63% positive       overall numbers 12,331 positive out of  757,517 tests = 1.62% positive

256 deaths out of 12,331 positive tests = 2.07% mortality

The percentage of people dying has gone down dramatically over the months since this began.

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

US coronavirus new cases hit record at 77,640

Fri 23 Oct 2020 12:05:06 GMT

• Prior record was 75,723 on July 29
  • 921 deaths reported yesterday

This isn't the official tally but NBC likely added up the latest state totals. The virus is really raging in the midwest:

This winter is going to be a nightmare.

Haven't you heard, nuckin?

The Trump administration is doing a "great job". So great in fact, they're "turning the corner"....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1