The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My sister said she felt sick the day after. Slight Fever and no energy. But  very mild symptoms.  She was fine the next day. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

So it will vary from person to person. 

Good for folks to keep in mind and perhaps if you prep yourself for it the effects may not last long at all. 

First dose or second? The only person I know who’s had both doses (Pfizer) said the symptoms were very mild after the first dose but she did feel pretty rough for a day or two after the second dose. Bedridden I believe. 

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

First dose or second? The only person I know who’s had both doses (Pfizer) said the symptoms were very mild after the first dose but she did feel pretty rough for a day or two after the second dose. Bedridden I believe. 

I received my 1st Pfizer dose on Saturday - was a bit tired Sunday and arm was a little sore but other wise no issues.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

First dose. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Typically more on second dose, based on all the data. But my own experience plus three other in-laws, we all had minimal reactions. So it's quite variable. Don't be afraid to get the booster when it's available. Boosts both the antibody level and memory cells, and provides a more durable immunity. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Concert venues dealt another blow as Ontario COVID-19 rules prohibit live streams

https://globalnews.ca/news/7740287/concert-venues-ontario-covid-rules-prohibit-live-streams/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=AM980London&fbclid=IwAR20yJJFjHarnzfMbsm0inx073CTTsdhWWiZ2Tpt-RqYVGcod0l0KXFbRjc

But you can go to Yorkdale mall in Toronto with a 1000 others no problem.  Doug Ford the peoples champ......... 

its Trudeau's fault. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Typically more on second dose, based on all the data. But my own experience plus three other in-laws, we all had minimal reactions. So it's quite variable. Don't be afraid to get the booster when it's available. Boosts both the antibody level and memory cells, and provides a more durable immunity. 

Oh I’ll be getting it for sure, I’m just sharing what I’d heard. It won’t deter me. I know the reactions are a crapshoot- the 2019 flu shot had me in bed at about 4-5PM that day while I didn’t feel anything at all with the 2020 shot. 

I’ve been told by somebody who works at a vaccination site that they have leftover doses at the end of each day and they try to give them away to just about anybody who will take it. I’m hoping to get in on that action. I feel a little bad because I’m in my 20’s and healthy but I still see my parents (dad 59, mom 64 and not terribly healthy) as well as my semi-vaccinated grandpa. And I figure it’s better off going into somebody’s arm than nobody’s. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

It's everyone's fault.  Need a better vaccine rollout,

well we screwed that pooch back in the 90s by giving up our manufacturing capacity for vaccines 

need better lockdown rules in Ontario,

yup

need the population to not be dumb.

I'm trying my best not let that drag me down 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

My dad got his Moderna vaccine today, he could’ve gone sooner but he didn’t want J&J vaccine.

Interesting, I was leaning to the Johnson & Johnson one as it's a single dose.

"Unlike the mRNA used in Pfizer and Moderna’s products, Johnson & Johnson is a non-replicating viral vector vaccine similar to AstraZeneca’s.

That means it uses a different harmless virus, which can’t copy itself, as a vector to give our cells the instructions they need to make the coronavirus’s spike protein.

The immune system recognizes the protein and makes antibodies, which then allow us to fend off attack if exposed in the future"

Yes, mRNA does sound like the way to go as it's basically an instruction set for our body to produce anti bodies against covid.

My dad also got the Moderna.  

27 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Interesting, I was leaning to the Johnson & Johnson one as it's a single dose.

"Unlike the mRNA used in Pfizer and Moderna’s products, Johnson & Johnson is a non-replicating viral vector vaccine similar to AstraZeneca’s.

That means it uses a different harmless virus, which can’t copy itself, as a vector to give our cells the instructions they need to make the coronavirus’s spike protein.

The immune system recognizes the protein and makes antibodies, which then allow us to fend off attack if exposed in the future"

Yes, mRNA does sound like the way to go as it's basically an instruction set for our body to produce anti bodies against covid.

My dad also got the Moderna.  

Yeah, I am not sure why he didn’t want J&J, my wife and my mom got 2 doses of Pfizer vaccine already.

I am going next week and Moderna, Pfizer and J&J are all fine with me.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, I am not sure why he didn’t want J&J

Personally, the efficacy is too low for me.  Considering I'd still want a full set of doses of one of the mRNA vaccines that work better, it seems like a waste, especially if getting it makes it more difficult for me to get Pfizer or Moderna.

30 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

One of my employees got the Astra vaccine but has now been told her second shot will be Pfizer? Anyone else been told this?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/04/oxford-trial-to-test-efficacy-of-mix-of-covid-vaccines-for-individuals

There are some tests over this in the UK but I’ve not yet seen results. The belief is by mixing and matching there will be greater protection against variant strains 

• Cheers 1

To those that keep saying that it is like the flu and is easy to recover from:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brain/a-third-of-covid-survivors-suffer-neurological-or-mental-disorders-study-idUSKBN2BT2ZI

One in three COVID-19 survivors in a study of more than 230,000 mostly American patients were diagnosed with a brain or psychiatric disorder within six months, suggesting the pandemic could lead to a wave of mental and neurological problems, scientists said on Tuesday.

Researchers who conducted the analysis said it was not clear how the virus was linked to psychiatric conditions such as anxiety and depression, but that these were the most common diagnoses among the 14 disorders they looked at.

Post-COVID cases of stroke, dementia and other neurological disorders were rarer, the researchers said, but were still significant, especially in those who had severe COVID-19.

“Although the individual risks for most disorders are small, the effect across the whole population may be substantial,” said Paul Harrison, a professor of psychiatry at Oxford University who co-led the work.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1