The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm just trying to figure out from people that - apparently- sympathize with the anti-vax group, why they feel that way?

And I'm not trying to take this down a rabbit hole / pissing match, I'm really trying to figure out where that comes from.

I just think it's unfair to categorize anti-vaxers. We just read that 77 people are in the ICU that aren't vaccinated and put them in a group. Some of those people have legit medical reasons for not getting the jab. I don't know how many, but it's probably not zero. Then there are some that are lazy, procrastinated, or perhaps mentally unable to make a good choice. And then some others that are just against vaccines in total.

I don't feel sorry or sympathize for the true anti-vaxers. My cousin ended up in the ICU with delta in the summer. I called him a moron after he recovered because he was so busy keeping up at work that he never took the time to book a jab appointment. He was never against vaccines though.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I just think it's unfair to categorize anti-vaxers. We just read that 77 people are in the ICU that aren't vaccinated and put them in a group. Some of those people have legit medical reasons for not getting the jab. I don't know how many, but it's probably not zero. Then there are some that are lazy, procrastinated, or perhaps mentally unable to make a good choice. And then some others that are just against vaccines in total.

I don't feel sorry or sympathize for the true anti-vaxers. My cousin ended up in the ICU with delta in the summer. I called him a moron after he recovered because he was so busy keeping up at work that he never took the time to book a jab appointment. He was never against vaccines though.

You keep saying this, we point it out to you that very few have legit medical reasons. Like to the thousands of a percentage point in the scheme of things. Sorry, not reason enough for me. They've made their choices and are suffering the consequences, or worse yet, are dead. No sympathy from me, they are in that category because of their own selfish reasons. PERIOD!

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I don't think you'd find anyone on here that would disagree that there are some folks that do have very legit reasons, and no one I've seen has demonized those folks.

58 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I think we're pretty much on the same page then, I have zero time or sympathy for these people.

What I find really interesting tho is how some people  get pulled into really supporting these people because the anti-vax know how to tug on the right strings.

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think you'd find anyone on here that would disagree that there are some folks that do have very legit reasons, and no one I've seen has demonized those folks.

I think we're pretty much on the same page then, I have zero time or sympathy for these people.

What I find really interesting tho is how some people  get pulled into really supporting these people because the anti-vax know how to tug on the right strings.

The part I find disturbing is that some anti-vaxxers get covid. Nearly die. Then still won't change their mind about getting vaccinated. 

There's being silly, and there's being just stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The part I find disturbing is that some anti-vaxxers get covid. Nearly die. Then still won't change their mind about getting vaccinated. 

There's being silly, and there's being just stupid. 

It is disturbing. Which just makes it all the more confusing when they are able to pull people in to support them.

I get it, e.g. if you're libertarian leaning and don't like gov't oversight, but for gods sake where's the common sense? the basic numbers tell the story, no filtering or spin needed. Get your shot, it will help you, your family, your community.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BCNeil said:

The cases are high, but new hospitalizations and ICU are staying flat.  I wish they had more information on each new hospitalization, if they are vaccinated or not, and which variant they have.  As I type this Ontario has 9600 new cases today.  But people in critical care is down 5.  Things could be a lot lot worse.  

The only reason our province and country are faring relatively well during the pandemic is because 9 in 10 of us regardless of ideology, race or religion decided we needed to do this to protect and save lives. We are very, very lucky to have so many people of all different backgrounds willing to look at the evidence, listen to the experts and to take action amidst the worst pandemic in a century.

We will never know how many we saved from our efforts both before and after the vaccine was available. This pandemic imo has been the biggest test Canada has faced here at home in decades and from what I’ve seen I think we’ve passed with high marks over these last 2 years. Not perfect by any means (and if anyone expected that their expectations are way out of whack), but we’ve saved a lot of people who would be dead right now if we did nothing.

Obviously we’re still not out of it yet, but I’m proud of the tens of millions of us who’ve made sacrifices big and small in the 2 years since it all began to help protect each other from sickness and death.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

We will never know how many we saved from our efforts both before and after the vaccine was available

If we had the same population as the US, and did everything the same way as we have, we would have saved over 500,000 people

Canada 30,139 fatalities   x 8.9 (population difference) =  268,504

US 835,349

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Friday, Dec. 24, 2021, 87.8% (4,377,551) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.8% (4,126,279) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.8% (4,256,707) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89% (4,126,185) received their second dose and 17% (807,057) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.2% (3,988,184) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.5% (3,870,981) received their second dose and 19% (806,246) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 2,441 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 235,658 cases in the province.

There are currently 10,415 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 222,604 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 192 individuals are currently in hospital and 71 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 1,001 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 3,554
  • 967 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 4,571
  • 188 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 778
  • 66 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 236
  • 219 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 1,274
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: two

In the past 24 hours, four new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,414.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: two
  • Interior Health: one
  • Northern Health: one

There have been 1,613 cases of the Omicron variant of concern confirmed in B.C.:

• Fraser Health: 263
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 959
  • Interior Health: 40
  • Northern Health: four
  • Island Health: 347

There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Ridgeview Lodge (Interior Health), for a total of two facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Ridgeview Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

• Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

• none

From Dec. 16-22, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 21.9% of cases and from Dec. 9-22 they accounted for 67.2% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 16-22) - Total 8,165

• Not vaccinated: 1,684 (20.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 105 (1.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 6,376 (78.1%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 9-22) - Total 180

• Not vaccinated: 117 (65.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 4 (2.2%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 59 (32.8%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 16-22)

• Not vaccinated: 252.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 50.2
  • Fully vaccinated: 139.8

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 9-22)

• Not vaccinated: 27.2
  • Partially vaccinated: 3.1
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.3

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,276,592 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

Note: The Ministry of Health will provide preliminary COVID-19 case counts on Dec. 27 and 28. Regular reporting will return on Wednesday, Dec. 29 in the daily COVID-19 bulletin.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0240-002452

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Maybe 1 or 2 people have legitimate reasons and that's a huge stretch. It's probably zero.

Most people are either self absorbed or self appointed medical doctors or wingnuts who think the government is out to get them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

If we had the same population as the US, and did everything the same way as we have, we would have saved over 500,000 people

Canada 30,139 fatalities   x 8.9 (population difference) =  268,504

US 835,349

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

That’s easy to say, but that big of a population is so much more challenging to control. Plus, they’re a lot more piled together than we are - our country is physically bigger and we have a lot more room. 

I found a box of KN95 masks finally, made right here in BC. Some obscure pharmacy outside of big box stores. It was 43$ for 25 masks, which is less than 2$ a mask. I don't intend to dispose though, just rotate them. And since I go out maybe twice a week, I only need two. The rest I'll be gifting based on family and who I think needs it the most.

Anyhow, decent masks aren't expensive.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

That’s easy to say, but that big of a population is so much more challenging to control. Plus, they’re a lot more piled together than we are - our country is physically bigger and we have a lot more room. 

Actually there are a lot of really stupid Americans.  In BC our vaccination rate is over 90%.  In the US it’s closer to 60.  Lots of really REALLY ignorant morons down there.  

I love how toxic you guys are towards people who never got vaccinated.  You're so into data, and "the science".

Hows this for your data.

RCf8CUM.jpg

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/case-numbers-and-spread

KifKTNX.jpg

UoIO58r.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

Instead of spewing your hate speech how about getting off your high horses and wait to see how this all unfolds.  You arent experts.  You arent hero's.  

If you are saying vile $&!# about other human beings because they havent made the same choice you made, you are exactly what's wrong with the world. Absolutely disgusting people in this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 2

^^^^^

Government (anywhere) doesn't care if everyone gets Covid. In fact they'd prefer it. Covid has the most dire affects for the elderly. The elderly are a financial drain on the system. They once paid into it and are now drawing from it. If you're a government operating at a deficit (and which one isn't?) you'd prefer if people drawing from the system stopped (even if that meant they died). It's morbid but true.

What no government wants is it's healthcare system overwhelmed by everyone getting Covid at the same time.

Your data is related to infections not hospitalizations. Therefore it's not what anyone in a position of power is remotely concerned about.

I personally don't give a rip if you get vaccinated or not. If you do get it (Covid) how about you stay home and deal with it yourself and not overwhelm the system when it could have been easily preventable?

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • RoughGame 1

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess a lot of the frustration stems form the idea that we might not have experienced the Delta or Omicron variant at all, if everyone had bought in right from the get go. Yet we have people protesting and blocking access to clinics, willfully spreading disinformation and generally being disruptive to the goal of putting the pandemic behind us.

Those that have done the right thing and thought about others, rather than just themselves are (rightfully, IMO) disappointed, to put it mildly.

Is there a jurisdiction where they've done it right and are experiencing success?

45 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I personally don't give a rip if you get vaccinated or not. If you do get it (Covid) how about you stay home and deal with it yourself and not overwhelm the system when it could have been easily preventable?

Many things are preventable.  Should obese people be blocked from diabetes treatment or heart surgeries? They've made a life time of bad decisions which were preventable.  How about lung cancer patients who smoked? People who chose not to be vaccinated are just as entitled to healthcare in this country as you are. Hate to break it to you.

Again. Anyone who points the finger at their neighbor is a piece of $&!#.  This pendulum will swing the other way and the nasty ones will be remembered. It doesnt matter what information is shared everyones made up their minds. You guys wont admit that you were duped so keep on keeping on spewing your hate speech. Enjoy boosters 4, 5 , and 6. They are coming.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm just trying to figure out from people that - apparently- sympathize with the anti-vax group, why they feel that way?

And I'm not trying to take this down a rabbit hole / pissing match, I'm really trying to figure out where that comes from.

Why should a physically fit 30 year old be forced to take a vaccine that won't benefit them?   That's bat$&!# crazy.  Vaccinated and non vaccinated are spreaders so that isn't a reason.

Now if you're an obese 30 year-old, you just might end up in the hospital. Should these people be mandated to the jab to spare the health care workers?

Now over 50 years old have a decent chance of having trouble with covid so that's a different story, that's why I am vaccinated and happy with my choice to this point. I hope there are no long-term effects, but even short term, this study shows people under 60 are more likely to die after being vaccinated than those who are unvaccinated. The vaccine may reduce covid death but may make you susceptible to other fatal conditions. https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/vaccinated-english-adults-under-60?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNzQ5MDY1MCwicG9zdF9pZCI6NDQzMzc2NTQsIl8iOiIxQUpGRiIsImlhdCI6MTYzNzQyMDg2OSwiZXhwIjoxNjM3NDI0NDY5LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMzYzMDgwIiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.9VUDRE1Y_ulQb4wd_dboCAGd9-rSnGy5XFczpoM1wbI

So my question is, how could you question people objecting to being forced to take a useless (for them) vaccine three times a year?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1