The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is too bad they are testing so few though....

....who knows what the real number of infected are.

if you watch her daily updates

every day

takes about an hour each day

you will understand what the testing benefit is

and why and where and when they test

testing in random volume is not valuable

not everyone needs a test even if they are symptomatic

they can assume they are ill and quarantine themselves

that is what they should do even if they are tested

testing does not change that outcome

but you have this odd need

to just be critical

without being thoughtful

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is too bad they are testing so few though....

....who knows what the real number of infected are.

Testing would definitely help those with minor symptoms stop from spreading it but we just don't have the tests.  I'm almost thinking the capacity of the hospitals is just as important as the number of infected.

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

new york city has close to 5% of the world cases

new york state has close to 7% of the world cases

Jeebus that city has had alot of heart-ache in our recent history.  I don't even think about 1994 anymore.  Seriously hope they've 'flattened the curve' and heading the right way.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is already a concern in Nanaimo

Dr. Kenyon occasionally will run a thought experiment in his mind: Nanaimo, a mid-size city on the east coast of the island, is home to roughly 90,000 people. Taking a conservative estimate, say only 25 per cent of those get infected with the virus. That’s 22,500 people. And then say 4 per cent of those people – the figure most often used – require intensive care. That’s 900 people. And most, if not all, will require a ventilator machine.

And most people needing ventilation with COVID-19 generally require it for three weeks.

“What am I going to do with 14 ventilators?” Dr. Kenyon said in an interview. “I can tell you what I’m going to do: I’m going to do what they’re doing in Italy and I’m going to take 70-year-olds off the ventilator, and then 60-year-olds off the ventilator and eventually 50-year-olds off the ventilator, and I’m going to give them to 30-year olds with three kids.”

More here

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-moral-choice-that-may-soon-be-facing-canadian-doctors-who-lives/

Exactly why aggressive, preventative measures are all the more vital.

The fact that the medical industry doesn't have the capacity to deal with this - is why we need to seriously shift our focus to proactive measures to prevent transmission.

Unfortunately, we have medical systems - that are for the most part - built on reactive, 'Western' models of treatment - ie post illness. 

That has shifted - particularly culturally - towards more 'health' orientation - preventative and maintenance, as opposed to 'medical' - reactive/ illness care/ treatment - but I'm not sure the purview of industry and it's regulating bureaucracies - is to address this in the larger sense that we're learning is necessary.   The scope - understandably - of most medical practice is on their 'field' - but what we're experiencing is the need to change practices in unconventional sites like grocery stores, etc.  The scope of a Health Officer may run beyond the hospitals, care homes, schools, airports, etc - but I'm not sure it was prepared to deal with contingencies like these.  Who knows how much practical, creative thinking is going into the relative 'blind spots' that aren't typically the first, most obvious sites of attention, but those would appear to be some of the real key spaces where this virus can both be transmitted - and potentially slowed/stopped.  I don't necessarily see how they are going to (insert jargon here - 'flatten curve') - and avoid that over-capacitizing of medical (post transmission treatment) resources - if there isn't a concentrated effort to really re-assign their focus to those other places, outside the traditional scope - and quickly (and probably aggressively as well, as the responses thus far aren't terribly inspiring).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is already a concern in Nanaimo

Dr. Kenyon occasionally will run a thought experiment in his mind: Nanaimo, a mid-size city on the east coast of the island, is home to roughly 90,000 people. Taking a conservative estimate, say only 25 per cent of those get infected with the virus. That’s 22,500 people. And then say 4 per cent of those people – the figure most often used – require intensive care. That’s 900 people. And most, if not all, will require a ventilator machine.

And most people needing ventilation with COVID-19 generally require it for three weeks.

“What am I going to do with 14 ventilators?” Dr. Kenyon said in an interview. “I can tell you what I’m going to do: I’m going to do what they’re doing in Italy and I’m going to take 70-year-olds off the ventilator, and then 60-year-olds off the ventilator and eventually 50-year-olds off the ventilator, and I’m going to give them to 30-year olds with three kids.”

More here

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-moral-choice-that-may-soon-be-facing-canadian-doctors-who-lives/

That is a brutal way to think and know that you have to eventually make those calls to save those who are going to give the world more at this stage of their life.  I would never want to be in his position and having to be taking people off just to save another who has more to give the world at this point.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Two premiers that I have to give credit to how they've handled the crises in their respective provinces (Ontario/Quebec) so far.

Definitely. But I also don't know that I would fault BC for the way things have been handled. I'd say it has been more the failure of the Federal government than BC's premier and municipal officials. 

Municipal officials could be blamed for not acting more drastically earlier in the process, but I think they tried to give people a chance to be responsible. Collectively, we failed to do this and now a lot of things that we all enjoy will have to be stripped from us because of a moronic few (by enjoy, I mean access to parks, beaches, etc. and not Rights & Freedoms). 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

That is a brutal way to think and know that you have to eventually make those calls to save those who are going to give the world more at this stage of their life.  I would never want to be in his position and having to be taking people off just to save another who has more to give the world at this point.

Especially if that younger person didn't care about practicing physical distancing or blatantly disregarded any of the suggestions put forward

Edited by Mackcanuck

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yeah, and do the math the same for the Lower Mainland of 2.5m people and the need would be 25,000 ventilators......

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think there's a lot of focus on young people regarding a lack of social distancing - but my personal, most notable experiences are with people my own age or older - who are equally capable of mindlessness in this same sense and aren't necessarily changing their practices (or those of their dependents) either.    So I'd caution the generalization that this is a youth problem - because the pictures of parks/beaches may represent a younger demographic - but in other places, there is arguably no distinction to be made by age =there are lots of us older folks every bit as thoughtless when it comes to changing our habits. 

Agreed