The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

23 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

there is nothing thoughtful happening right now.  Shutting down the economy to drag millions into poverty around the world will easily kill more people.  Its not even close.

You are soiling the name of one of our all time heroes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Especially to take a ventilator off of a deserving 60yr old to give to an absolute garbage 22 year old that got the virus because they were playing beer pong. 

Generally speaking I understand and agree with the logic... but there are sadly some exceptions to the rule and the result will be that we end up saving people that didn't deserve to be saved over others.

The 22 year old who was playing beer pong may go on to contribute something great to the world. Not trying to say that the 60 can't but you can't write off the young foolish partyer just because they're being young and foolish.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

ET0YTbBXYAQX7CT.jpg

I've got to hand it to you... every time this thread starts to get a little tense (and I've been guilty of getting a bit more worked up than I should on at least one occasion), you come in with some stupid photo that gets everyone laughing and calmed down a little bit. Probably more effective than threatening warnings/bans, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

The 22 year old who was playing beer pong may go on to contribute something great to the world. Not trying to say that the 60 can't but you can't write off the young foolish partyer just because they're being young and foolish.

I know plenty of 60yr olds that can still do something great.I'd take them over the people that have no excuse for doing what they're doing other than thinking that they are more important than everyone else. Doctors are more important. Nurses are more important. Your needs to drink out of a cup that your friend basically just spit in don't rank that high on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. There are millions of responsible young people out there. The people playing beer pong basically just wanted to flaunt what they were doing in the faces of others... much like that little idiot licking her ice cream in White Rock.

My original post wasn't meant to pit one age against the other... only to acknowledge that age isn't the only thing to consider when having to save a life. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I feel for Deb and TreMac among some others on here maybe too that work at a business that is being so "Blind" in regards to everything going on. 

Now I get, businesses want to stay open or exec's need to try make certain #s to get bonuses etc but this is a very RARE instance in the world where action needs to be taken, it may be overboard to some but the harder and sooner they crack down on EVERYTHING the sooner we can try and get past this Virus imo.

Now this is not a question I expect Deb or Tre among others to answer but I will ask anyway....With how your work has handles this situation, does it make you want to look for a new job?

Also, I think there are a select few posters on here who should be banned from posting in this thread, they just have too much negativity. Heck start a new thread saying the world is overreacting to this virus and go in that thread and whine and B**ch about how most of the public is treating this.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Enjoy the panic and hysteria.  Panic is never a good solution to anything, ever...

Nearly 2,000 Washingtonians have tested positive for the coronavirus and 95 have died as of Sunday.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/gov-inslee-to-make-statewide-address-in-live-broadcast-monday-evening

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I know plenty of 60yr olds that can still do something great.I'd take them over the people that have no excuse for doing what they're doing other than thinking that they are more important than everyone else. Doctors are more important. Nurses are more important. Your needs to drink out of a cup that your friend basically just spit in don't rank that high on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. There are millions of responsible young people out there. The people playing beer pong basically just wanted to flaunt what they were doing in the faces of others... much like that little idiot licking her ice cream in White Rock.

My original post wasn't meant to pit one age against the other... only to acknowledge that age isn't the only thing to consider when having to save a life. 

I'll agree with you there. 

3 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

the one thing most of us can agree on

is that when younger, we are often very foolish

not all of us

but a majority

i can't say what i'd do now if i was 22

but i am certain i'd be considering my youthfulness and accompanying health

and at least considering risking a cheap travel venture somewhere

given the cheap deals that apparently are out there

i'm sure i'd want to give my young self a good slap across the head

but in time i did mature (a little bit) and contribute some things to society

the stakes are a bit higher right now though

so the young cannot be quite as foolish as society can normally tolerate

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm absolutely shocked with the amount of ignorance some people are showing during this. If you for one second are questioning why we are staying home, they you have zero idea what is happening in the world right now. I'm not sure I been so collectively disappointed in so much of humanity. Young people down south, older populations here, god just click on the comments on anything Trudeau does on Facebook... Anyone who questions the severity of what we are facing right now is severely underestimating and under educated on a global scale of what's currently happening, and what we are risking happening in our own back yards..

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so any reading ideas that people might have ?

i am going to re-read my library of books when i have had enough time online

(and when i have the energy to as i will be able to keep working for the foreseeable future)

thinking about my library

i believe it is appropriate, timely, and on topic to start with

Love in a Time of Cholera

by Gabriel García Márquez

I'm an SF/Fantasy guy myself. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped in at the Sally Ann and loaded up on anything that looked interesting, that wasn't book 2 or 3 of a series. About a dozen or so at 25 cents each....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the one thing most of us can agree on

is that when younger, we are often very foolish

not all of us

but a majority

i can't say what i'd do now if i was 22

but i am certain i'd be considering my youthfulness and accompanying health

and at least considering risking a cheap travel venture somewhere

given the cheap deals that apparently are out there

i'm sure i'd want to give my young self a good slap across the head

but in time i did mature (a little bit) and contribute some things to society

the stakes are a bit higher right now though

so the young cannot be quite as foolish as society can normally tolerate

At 22 I was not very wise. Respect to those who are at that age.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think we're fortunate in some senses - that as horrible as this virus is, it's not even more virulent.

The reality is that 'we' weren't really prepared for this - it's a learning 'curve' whether we like it or not.

We've seen some exceptionally low speed responses - that we may not be able to 'afford' if/when there's a next time.

I do think we're owed a full review of the decision making process, not to go head hunting but to learn what we could have done better. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

The lessons we learn, the ways we adapt systems - hopefully do not get lost in juvenile ideological squabbles - that unfortunately are particularly heightened in the context of the present 'leadership', particularly south of the border.  I think, however, that there will remain an underlying imperative - that hopefully the private sector at least, will not ignore/forget.   Unlike the present, there will certainly be a point at which the public debate will need to go well beyond softballs to hard, constructive criicism of our responses (and lack of).  The problem with the 'Trumpizm' of the present is not just that he wastes his own words and drowns out other far more measured and worthwhile voices - but he also gets people wasting their energy with responses, criticism and politicking, in a cycling, counterproductive contagion of idiocy that infects large parts of the public dialogue.  Hopefully, that - too - becomes a lesson-learned (although I suspect humans gonna continue to human, and what you'll see is an endless apologizm for the kind of impotent 'leadership' we saw on this continent).  The private sphere, ironically, will probably have to take the 'lead' while the 'leadership' politricks it's way out of accountability.

This can't, well I hope it can't, be boiled down to that, its just such a waste if thats where we end up. We aren't going to be having an election anytime soon so hopefully that allows the lessons to come out from this. 

Trump.... I have nothing to add. Guys a dip$&!#. 

43 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Nice read for those that think Trump calling the virus Chinese is appropriate.

Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/spit-on-yelled-at-attacked-chinese-americans-fear-for-their-safety/ar-BB11AEg5

Hmmm...seems like just yesterday I was arguing with a couple of posters who said it was just "careless" and "off the cuff"....:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I resemble that remark. B)

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sure, but that's not really how people look at it.

How many posts have we seen in this thread from people worried about the fact that we share a border with Washington state? Considering the bolded above, shouldn't we be more concerned about the situation in New York? Or, for that matter, Italy?

Maybe, but that's not how people think. Closer = more dangerous in most people's minds.

distance is kind of meaningless, its connectedness. 

The epidemiology studies that come from this will be really interesting. BC has had spikes from people coming home from Iran, and also that dental conference. Maybe we should have seen more of an effect from Washington State but to this point it seems like we've maybe been spared that. 

I imagine BC will follow the Ontario and Quebec examples and we'll be on a bigger lockdown pretty soon. 

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm an SF/Fantasy guy myself. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped in at the Sally Ann and loaded up on anything that looked interesting, that wasn't book 2 or 3 of a series. About a dozen or so at 25 cents each....

A couple authors for you.

Brandon Sanderson, who wrote the Mistborn Saga  of 6 books

Jim Butcher, Dresden Files---- described as Jim Rockford meets Harry Potter

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Wasn't happy at my job before 2020 tbh.  It's the coworkers that really piss me off, like today I was the only one to wear a mask and say anything about being uncomfortable working, after the meeting I can hear a couple of people mocking me - now there 2 other people rocking masks.  My plant manager isn't an idiot, and him and other managers are probably getting briefed by an army of lawyers so I can't complain much about that - they do things by the book.  I told my work I'd continue working as long as I got masks and they went and got some more.  It's a well paying job at the end of the day - a lot of people have it worse.  

you're doing the right things Tre. My dad has a good saying about your co-workers, "don't let the bastards get you down". 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Wasn't happy at my job before 2020 tbh.  It's the coworkers that really piss me off, like today I was the only one to wear a mask and say anything about being uncomfortable working, after the meeting I can hear a couple of people mocking me - now there 2 other people rocking masks.  My plant manager isn't an idiot, and him and other managers are probably getting briefed by an army of lawyers so I can't complain much about that - they do things by the book.  I told my work I'd continue working as long as I got masks and they went and got some more.  It's a well paying job at the end of the day - a lot of people have it worse.  

good that you have been firm

and in that way educating others

and altering behaviours of others

i have advocating on here that people take on that responsiblity

and do these things themselves to encourage change

you have done so.. 

congrats

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1