The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate your posting

but i think this post is a good example of what the real problem is regarding this virus

we want to point to our leadership to do more

when in fact we all have to do more

they have given us information and recommendations that will work

we have to implement this

where we see others not doing so

we need to remind them

there is not a large enough enforcement force available that can do this

and even if they could

they are going to show up 5 or 10 minutes later when the incident is historical

we have been told what to do

there is not much else our leadership can do

it is up to us now

stop expecting them to do more

when we have all done what is recommended

that will be the time to review much more critically the minor shortfall in our leadership

in the meantime that energy is focused in the wrong direction

I appreciate your posting!

I agree with what you are saying........I guess I should have been more specific.....it will be the same people that aren’t doing their part that will be calling for/blaming the government for not doing more.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate your posting

but i think this post is a good example of what the real problem is regarding this virus

we want to point to our leadership to do more

when in fact we all have to do more

they have given us information and recommendations that will work

we have to implement this

I agree, but it's tough on those of us who are doing what we're supposed to do.

where we see others not doing so

we need to remind them

Therein lies the issue. How do we tell people on the beaches/parks/parties not to do so from our home? In this weird new world, the people (news outlets/government) in the media are sometimes our only hope in spreading the message of what needs to be done. So of course our feelings/anger are going to be pointed at those few that do have a voice right now.

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hopefully, the rain for this upcoming week will force more people to stay indoors.

As usual, my neck of the woods is ahead of the curve. Started coming down yesterday.

Luckily, I was able to get my rain gutters cleared on Saturday. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Therein lies the issue. How do we tell people on the beaches/parks/parties not to do so from our home? In this weird new world, the people (news outlets/government) in the media are sometimes our only hope in spreading the message of what needs to be done. So of course our feelings/anger are going to be pointed at those few that do have a voice right now.

I live in an apartment where I can see and have watched groups of people on the seawall.......I thought about getting a megaphone lol 

• Like 3

i appreciate it is problematic

but if you see something

you are in fact the best option to address it

if you see it on tv

don't fret about it

those people are being exposed by tv

they in fact are being dealt with

7 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I appreciate your posting!

I agree with what you are saying........I guess I should have been more specific.....it will be the same people that aren’t doing their part that will be calling for/blaming the government for not doing more.

b!tches be b!ches regardless of gender.

So I am allowed to take a leave of absence - I think I'll continue to work provided that can get me a fresh mask each day.  I feel a lot better working with one, and i'll just take it day by day.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate it is problematic

but if you see something

you are in fact the best option to address it

if you see it on tv

don't fret about it

those people are being exposed by tv

they in fact are being dealt with

Yeah. I guess it's just difficult when, all things considered, quarantining is "easy" compared to what generations of the past had to endure during difficult times.

So for a lot of us who are committed to the quarantine, it sucks we can't do more to urge others to do so. I guess all we can really do as individuals is talk to friends/family members who are not taking it seriously.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we should know in a week if we're starting to flatten the curve, that the line that matters. There will be plenty of time to blame, etc. when its over, for whatever that will be worth. I'm more interested in what lessons we've learned and if we actually implement new systems, otherwise all of this was just a waste. 

I think we're fortunate in some senses - that as horrible as this virus is, it's not even more virulent.

The reality is that 'we' weren't really prepared for this - it's a learning 'curve' whether we like it or not.

We've seen some exceptionally low speed responses - that we may not be able to 'afford' if/when there's a next time.

For example - I've described some of the responses of grocers here - yesterday was the first day that the closest national (and international) chain grocer implemented even the simplest of measures - of limiting the numbers of people that entered their store at any given time.  Prior to yesterday, there was no one outside their establishment communicating, counting/tracking, let alone limiting, the volume of traffic they allowed (significantly over guidelines). 

That kind of lax, business-as-usual practice will be increasingly unacceptable/irresponsible - but the reality of the present is that private retailers were not prepared, they acted slowly and depended on a chain of command that tends to top-down these decisions from corporate hq.  Those CEO down type decision-makers are not always the most informed nor are they 'front-line' threatened by the reality that their staffs and local managers contend with.  The whole process is/was flawed, and tends to be slow to respond - the typical response to questions about what they were doing was 1) we are following existing guidelines (in other words, we will react slowly once the bureaucracies decree what we can/will do).   Even that level of preventative measures was voluntary and not executed - and even that public health bureaucracy is reactive and learning on the job, in spite of the resumes of experience (little of that was in this context).   So there is both a public and private lag that is very costly - and it's even more difficult to counteract when both those are under extra pressure, with reduced resources and time, at their disposal - and are structurally determined to depend on top-down decision-making that is overwhelmed and lack the capacity to respond in a 'full spectrum' way.   

The lessons we learn, the ways we adapt systems - hopefully do not get lost in juvenile ideological squabbles - that unfortunately are particularly heightened in the context of the present 'leadership', particularly south of the border.  I think, however, that there will remain an underlying imperative - that hopefully the private sector at least, will not ignore/forget.   Unlike the present, there will certainly be a point at which the public debate will need to go well beyond softballs to hard, constructive criicism of our responses (and lack of).  The problem with the 'Trumpizm' of the present is not just that he wastes his own words and drowns out other far more measured and worthwhile voices - but he also gets people wasting their energy with responses, criticism and politicking, in a cycling, counterproductive contagion of idiocy that infects large parts of the public dialogue.  Hopefully, that - too - becomes a lesson-learned (although I suspect humans gonna continue to human, and what you'll see is an endless apologizm for the kind of impotent 'leadership' we saw on this continent).  The private sphere, ironically, will probably have to take the 'lead' while the 'leadership' politricks it's way out of accountability.

Edited by oldnews

Yeah. I guess it's just difficult when, all things considered, quarantining is "easy" compared to what generations of the past had to endure during difficult times.

So for a lot of us who are committed to the quarantine, it sucks we can't do more to urge others to do so. I guess all we can really do as individuals is talk to friends/family members who are not taking it seriously.

no doubt it is tough

but it is still important to maintain some balance

there is nothing wrong with being outside

we need to get out these days cuz so many are home bound

the critical issue is maintaining social distance

and hand washing upon our return home

just because people are outside

does not make them non compliant

close grouping outside is

canada is a huge country

with vast open spaces

even within cities there is a lot of space

other countries do not have the same luxury

so we might be able to do more outdoors

then what we have seen in other countries

remember the only way the virus is known to clearly spread

is by transfer from people in close quarters

and by viruses on surfaces

that is what everyone needs to be vigilant about

whether they are indoor or outdoor

• Upvote 1

new york cases went up 38% overnight

they are over 20k

i am deeply saddened

over the usa handling of this pandemic

and their so slow reaction

cuomo is acting as swiftly as he can now

even while recognizing he is behind

he is locating areas to set up "mash units"

and will be immediately testing suspected viable treatment drugs

the man is on a mission

at least that is positive

and he is ensuring testing

at an unbelievable rate

it is stunning how much is suddenly being done in ny state

he is even forcing trump to help him

i'm sure our leadership is monitoring his efforts closely

just in case things turn badly here

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

new york cases went up 38% overnight

they are over 20k

i am deeply saddened

over the usa handling of this pandemic

and there so slow reaction

It is catastrophic how it’s been handled. Yet people still come to that fiend’s defense. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So I am allowed to take a leave of absence - I think I'll continue to work provided that can get me a fresh mask each day.  I feel a lot better working with one, and i'll just take it day by day.

I elected to take the week off boss is understanding, my dad has copd so I have to assist with the shopping and maintain precautions for now. Glad you got to a more comfortable level at this time. 

5 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is already a concern in Nanaimo

Dr. Kenyon occasionally will run a thought experiment in his mind: Nanaimo, a mid-size city on the east coast of the island, is home to roughly 90,000 people. Taking a conservative estimate, say only 25 per cent of those get infected with the virus. That’s 22,500 people. And then say 4 per cent of those people – the figure most often used – require intensive care. That’s 900 people. And most, if not all, will require a ventilator machine.

And most people needing ventilation with COVID-19 generally require it for three weeks.

“What am I going to do with 14 ventilators?” Dr. Kenyon said in an interview. “I can tell you what I’m going to do: I’m going to do what they’re doing in Italy and I’m going to take 70-year-olds off the ventilator, and then 60-year-olds off the ventilator and eventually 50-year-olds off the ventilator, and I’m going to give them to 30-year olds with three kids.”

More here

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-moral-choice-that-may-soon-be-facing-canadian-doctors-who-lives/

let's not get ahead of ourselves though

i appreciate the doctor has a theoretical concern

he is pointing out the worst case scenario

and maybe we will get there

but i doubt it

presently in canada there is 1 person on the critically ill listing

not 900 in nanaimo

so not sure how his commentary is helpful

or grounded in reality

at present

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

New cases as reported by Dr Henry.  48 since Saturday.

3 more deaths....one more at Lynn Valley Care Centre, one at Haro Care Centre

She said the backlog of testing is almost up to date.

It is too bad they are testing so few though....

....who knows what the real number of infected are.

• Upvote 1