The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think canuck scouts now

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

49 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol.... what ceiling..??

Podzilkin has a high ceiling? Can you name some a bunch of NHL powerforwards that are big and strong and play Podzilkin's drive the net style? Because I sure can name a bunch of undersized speed and skilled current day NHL players. 

"Big and strong, drive the net".. Thats  hockey you're describing. Pretty sure having thats a fundamental for most forwards playing the game at the NHL level. 

I was wrong to mention ceiling. Thats probably not best way to describe it. Think likelihood of playing at the NHL level (how soon), for how many games played over career, and versatility (player roles).

Elite skills that translate is hard to scout. Everything else being equal (Skating, Shot, IQ) they'll choose what they can be sure of, physique and stature.

We're talking Centres right? Not wingers... getzlaf, Horvat, Barkov, Tavaras, Crosby, O'rielly. 

Name another besides Point, I'll wait. jack hughes maybe?

Edited by StiffStick33

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yeah number six overall JV worked out great so far right?    I agree aside from two GMs, the rest have been average to downright bad at drafting.    Let you figure out the order.   Since we are speaking in generalities, would be curious to what other teams you are talking about anyways.    Vancouver may be a lot of things, but right now it’s not considered a team lacking in youthful talent by any source that follows hockey. 

It is working out well, yes

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

It is working out well, yes

Well?  Debatable.   Great?  Not really.   The point is who cares where these guys come from as long as they are good picks.   They don’t need to be BC grown home boys.   Most of our core isn’t even from Canada. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Ummmm, no. Podkolzin was clearly the BPA. If Canucks were drafting by position, they would have went with a defenseman.

No doubt.   Said before the draft the best possible scenario for us is that consensus number 3 overall Podz fell to us because of his commitment to Russia to number ten.   It for sure was a major coupe.   Maybe not as big as EP and QHs, but significant for sure.   And now he’s ranked around 10th best prospect in the world with THREE drafts in the mix.    Not saying he was was the BPA is a non-starter given how ridiculous it is. 

• Cheers 1

On Podz.   His floor is higher then half the first rounders ceiling.   IF he ends up catching up his shooting skills with the rest of it watch out.   We have a Forsberg 2.0 prototype in our pool ATM as far as ceilings go.    At worst he’s an excellent third liner.   At best he’s going to help us win cups and is the missing link in our top six.    One thing he did and does better then all his peers in his draft is getting the puck back.   Possession has been tough for our young team.   We were great on face-offs last playoff - but had issues keeping the puck.   He has the potential to make Horvats line one of the best second lines in the league - or our first line elite.   There is a reason that JB said those things about JV, how he’s in danger of getting passed bye with what’s coming beneath him.   JV is going to have to play to the best of his ability to get into the top six and keep the spot.    Our RW depth is a team strength. 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. His KHL numbers are underwhelming and hasn't had a point yet in the World Juniors. It's too early to make any assumptions on him. 

If you really watch Podz play, you see how smart he is. The NHL is a smart league. He will shine. I’d bet a lot of money on Podz.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing....if you only look at numbers you're missing a whole lot. 

"Hasn't had a point yet" but certainly has set up chances that very much could/should have resulted in points.  So you have to watch the games/player, not just check the numbers.  They only tell part of the story.

It's ok to get excited about players...we don't have to be reserved and wait to see if things pan out or not.  Half full versus half empty is more fun.

I can't understand that people don't see Podz has great fundamentals. Oh well.

I wonder if he'll end up being a little bit like, and excuse the :sick: comp, Dustin Brown. Heavy game, 50ish pts per year, excellent line mate for a skilled C. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

It really does get irritating hearing about why the sky is falling and everyone needs to be fired after a prospect that was passed on has a good game. I know thats the MO in general, but in these specific instances it gets annoying. What if Podkolzin has 12 goals the next game and Newhook pees himself? Does this still apply.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well?  Debatable.   Great?  Not really.   The point is who cares where these guys come from as long as they are good picks.   They don’t need to be BC grown home boys.   Most of our core isn’t even from Canada. 

Virtanen at #6 is at least working out much  better than #5 (Dal Colle) & #7 (Fleury). Was a bit of a whiff, but not a total loss.

If anything, Canucks went for Virtanen to try to capture some of the intangibles that Pod should bring in spades.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't understand that people don't see Podz has great fundamentals. Oh well.

I wonder if he'll end up being a little bit like, and excuse the :sick: comp, Dustin Brown. Heavy game, 50ish pts per year, excellent line mate for a skilled C. 

Dustin Brown was a fan favourite and for good reason.   Other teams hated him.  Lol. 
Id be jazzed if Podz turned out like Brown 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Virtanen at #6 is at least working out much  better than #5 (Dal Colle) & #7 (Fleury). Was a bit of a whiff, but not a total loss.

If anything, Canucks went for Virtanen to try to capture some of the intangibles that Pod should bring in spades.

I have no issue with Virtanen- but calling him a great pick is over the top..and given the thread take by the OP, he’s as good as an example of why you should take the BPA and don’t worry about where the guy came from or his roots as any.  Not many guys had him as high as we picked - some even suggested the second round was more appropriate. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/27/2020 at 6:30 AM, Boudrias said:

What I noticed during the WJC so far is the depth of talent in some orgs. Canucks don't seem to have a lot in the under 20. The Toffoli deal cost a lot for a player who was not resigned.

time to move on for the Toffoli not re-signing lamenting. He was brought in to help us make the playoffs which we did.  We also fared quite well without him during the playoffs. That experience was huge for our young guys (Petey, Bo, Brock, Hughes, Demko). Yes he had good chem with Petey and Miller but I will argue that whoever plays with them will put up points too. Toffoli was a nice add to help us get into the playoffs and was by no means a core piece. In 2-3 years the Canucks will be a force in the league. No room on our current or future roster for Madden. Top 6 wingers are coming our way in Podz and or Hogs, plus free agency can help draw players to Van. The prospect of playing with our young core will entice players to choose to come play in Van.

34 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

time to move on for the Toffoli not re-signing lamenting. He was brought in to help us make the playoffs which we did.  We also fared quite well without him during the playoffs. That experience was huge for our young guys (Petey, Bo, Brock, Hughes, Demko). Yes he had good chem with Petey and Miller but I will argue that whoever plays with them will put up points too. Toffoli was a nice add to help us get into the playoffs and was by no means a core piece. In 2-3 years the Canucks will be a force in the league. No room on our current or future roster for Madden. Top 6 wingers are coming our way in Podz and or Hogs, plus free agency can help draw players to Van. The prospect of playing with our young core will entice players to choose to come play in Van.

I was going to comment on Podz but this was the last entry, so i will respond to it

Benning publicly stated before the BB injury he wanted a top 6 winger on our team (Not a rental)

TT did Not do anything to get us into the play-ins, He was scoring, but we were losing more games  than we were winning with him, and he wasn't avail for most of playoffs, but

Maybe Madden, or the draft pick traded for him did not have to play in Vancouver, but they were assets that could have been used for defensive help if traded and what i had mentioned at the time of picking him up, That being said the trade was made, and too bad the Canucks were not able to wait and try to work something out to retain him at a decent cost and Stetcher for depth cheap (defense wins cups i mentioned  then and was a weaker spot for us then and still )

Podz could be the compliment to EP like Messier was to Gretzky (M even started out as a winger)

But having a hard nose skilled winger on the 2nd line could work out well

Wasn't it Larionev who said he reminds him of a younger Messier?

Watching the Russians play though, no one stands out to me, like Stutzle has for his team

5 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

It really does get irritating hearing about why the sky is falling and everyone needs to be fired after a prospect that was passed on has a good game. I know thats the MO in general, but in these specific instances it gets annoying. What if Podkolzin has 12 goals the next game and Newhook pees himself? Does this still apply.

Some fans forget how Jordan Schroeder was setting new USA WJHC records after we drafted him and how we had a real keeper with that pick. How did he end up? Oh yeah he’s out of the league playing for the Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo. Funny how when we don’t see instant results fans jump off the wagon like it’s burning and when prospects that have a good start but fizzle out but the fans have already made a statue, ROH and jersey retirement all set before they play an NHL game. People just have to cool their jets and allow the career to unfold. I hear ya. Every game that a prospect has a good outing fans cry out loud because we missed the pick because of a good game. Totally hear you on that.

NEWHOOK AINT MY HERO GUYS AND GALS... i just think he would be a good player for the canucks...you look at all the guys that they have tried in utica...gee whizz golly gee poor picks i think...you need impact players that you can see early stages of their game.....just an example im posting out...we us the canucks are just missing things and that could be the difference in a better chance at the cup...things are looking better...but hey look at all the duds  ....not going to name names but just look at the roster...

On 12/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, apollo said:

Maybe you missed it and just woke up from a comma... ok here's the deal... we have a #1 Franchise Center and #1 Franchise D-man... the most talented in their positions to ever play for this franchise... We've NEVER had 21 and 22 year old phenoms in D and C that absolutely light up from the day they step foot into the NHL. The closest we've had to these superstars with monster rookie years are Brock and Bure... but neither a Center or Dman

The Sedins are ICONS but don't kid yourself, they weren't rookie of the year dominating the league in their early 20s...

This is the golden era for being a Canucks fan. I suggest you change your attitude and be a positive supportive fan and enjoy this decade of glorious hockey we're about to witness.

:towel:

Tbh I'd love to hear your thoughts after Jim drafted Elias, Quinn, Brock and Nils... what pessimistic comment did you make after those picks?

I suspect he just woke up from a “colon”