The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I’m excited to catch this one. Having Miller back adds a much needed offensive presence in our lineup. The young guns need to step it up like Petey, Boeser (other than his 2 goal performance to open the season), Bo so we can get back on track. Should be a dandy tonight. GCG! 

Edited by Beary Sweet

All the talk of our size but lack of physicality is something that hopefully changes this year. It's one of the reasons I really like Mac in the lineup, and why I think Rooster is better as a healthy scratch than anything (But we need PKers so that probably isn't how it'll break down). When Myers uses his size he topples guys like they're paper, he's just gotta use it more. 

I'm a big proponent of Jake, and while he has had struggles, if all he ever does is third line scoring duty, I'm happy. BUT--enough with the fly bys... It is so frustrating to watch him glide past someone as they chip it by without even leaning into them. If he just finished a few more checks a game it would be fantastic. He's got the size and speed to rock people and give the rest of the team some juice.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure. It is early in this short season, but seeing the physical edge that nearly all the other Canadian teams are playing with, it is concerning that the Canucks look like their playing tenatively.

Maybe our "Mighty Mouse" steps up?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

All the talk of our size but lack of physicality is something that hopefully changes this year. It's one of the reasons I really like Mac in the lineup, and why I think Rooster is better as a healthy scratch than anything (But we need PKers so that probably isn't how it'll break down). When Myers uses his size he topples guys like they're paper, he's just gotta use it more. 

I'm a big proponent of Jake, and while he has had struggles, if all he ever does is third line scoring duty, I'm happy. BUT--enough with the fly bys... It is so frustrating to watch him glide past someone as they chip it by without even leaning into them. If he just finished a few more checks a game it would be fantastic. He's got the size and speed to rock people and give the rest of the team some juice.

It concerns me that players come here with that type of game engrained in them(i.e. Rooster, Myers, Virtanen, Mac) and at some point, they are all playing like they don't give a hoot about playing a physical game anymore. Why is that? 

I made mention of Jake's game going from , leveling McDavid , to , it looks like he is disinterested in any kind of physical play. Some call it lazy, but is it really though? 

Looking for a very inspired game tonight with hopefully a little physicality. GCG!

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's a good point. Why would the officials have a laser focus on the Canucks attempts to ramp up the physical play but allow other teams to throw their weight around. Not exactly sounding like a level playing field. 

"2 Rulebooks" is a thread with a lonnnggggg history. The rigged deck league will fix outcomes in dozens of subtle ways. It sure adds up to something nasty.

• Vintage 1

Maybe Jake is satisfied with his role. Do just enough to stay in the lineup, make as few mistakes as possible, collect the cheque. I don't see a hungry player willing to sacrifice for his team, who's fighting for a top 6 spot. Although, there's been a few players that seem uninspired so far. Maybe Miller gets them going in this game, I'm hoping for a much better effort. Hamonic needs to get up to speed and start laying out some punishing hits. Myers needs to use his size and get some heavy shots on net.   

Next CBJ post gamer:

reporter: Pierre, what were you thinking early in the 1st?

PLD: I saw the startin' lineup..I know the guy behind the Bench. With the tings that he said..I can'tputcareer at risk that wayyyyyy. Don't push me!

reprter: Uhh Piere what do U mean?

PLD: Don't PUSH meeeee!(keep repeating to beat)

& it's understandable...

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just read OEL is wk to wk. He seems to be wearing down, last coupla' seasons. So glad we didn't overpay for this guy; instead wound up pilfering Schmidt.

^When thinking about how bad things could have been..would say we nicely dodged a bullet or two in the shortened off-season.

GCG!

To be fair, OEL was taken out by Evander Kane on a questionable hit. He's played full seasons the last few years and he had 3 assists in 2 games this year. So would OEL have faced that kind of play had he joined us? I'm not seeing the signs of wearing down.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

To be fair, OEL was taken out by Evander Kane on a questionable hit. He's played full seasons the last few years and he had 3 assists in 2 games this year. So would OEL have faced that kind of play had he joined us? I'm not seeing the signs of wearing down.

Was it PO's I've seen him out? Seems to recall him battling concussions(?)..or is this old poster's memory bound for the IR?! Thanks for that info. End of the day, we all gotta see the big picture, appreciating the (virtually free) price we paid to obtain a few exp'd vets.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Jake is satisfied with his role. Do just enough to stay in the lineup, make as few mistakes as possible, collect the cheque. I don't see a hungry player willing to sacrifice for his team, who's fighting for a top 6 spot. Although, there's been a few players that seem uninspired so far. Maybe Miller gets them going in this game, I'm hoping for a much better effort. Hamonic needs to get up to speed and start laying out some punishing hits. Myers needs to use his size and get some heavy shots on net.   

Seems like you are painting the WHOLE TEAM with the same brush as Jake..........hmmmmmm. Interesting. :ph34r:

How'd your day go?  So seemingly when the Canucks lose it nearly kills me and therefore this is a must win "do or die" deal for me. 

LOL at my bp reading here....falling to ??? 64/39.  Set off alarms and when the nurse rushed in and said "are you ok?" I said "no, I'm dying...if you don't let me out of here in time to watch the game, it'll be your fault".  

So they let me go and I walked home (when you get an ambulance ride in, that's your transportation home during covid).   GO CANUCKS GO....IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2