The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why is everyone willing to give Benning a pass on his tenure so far. He's been hear almost 7 years. He's drafted well and trades have been 50/50 but I think he gets a fail in free agency. The cap hell we are in right now is his fault and everyone keeps saying wait a couple of years and everything will even itself out. Its his fault we have to wait a couple of years and people just want to sweep that away likes it's no big deal. It's a big reason we couldn't bring anyone back or add anyone now. He shouldn't be let off so easy.

Love Benning and hia drafting and even some of his trades but his UFA signings has been downright brutal plus the overpayments. From Eriksson to Myers, all his FA signing has been bad. There is no way any team would give 3 million to Roussel and Beagle, or 6 million to Myers. I just hope he doesnt trade a Podkolzin or Tryamkin for a quick fix.

11 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Really couldnt understand why Benning could not even sign one of our 3 key players from Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. Like honestly what was the point of us not signing even one of our Key players? If Benning had Virtanen RFA signing as a priority over those key players then I question his ability to create a Cup winning team. Now Tanev and Marky are thriving on the Flames team, Toffoli is lighting us up. Please dont even mention cap space when Virtanen is signed for $2.55 mil yet Toffoli is playing for $4 mil per year. We had enough cap space to sign Tanev and Toffoli for 8 mil but we decided to trade for schmidt at 6 mil per year and sign Virtanen for $2.55 mil which makes the cap hit the same.

Other than Tofu, we will be regretting those contracts as soon as starting next season or so. 

JB made the wrong call to keep Jake over Tofu.

32 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ask yourself this. Is Green motivating these guys and getting the best out of them or are they higher status than he is? Can he handle Miller, a guy with a strong personality who has played on a top team with a great coach?  Can he coach this team to success? Or do we need a coach who has NHL credentials to mold the talent on this team into a contender?

I think people who blindly support the coach should ask these questions.  I am willing to be shown that I am wrong but I have to ask what is wrong with this team right now?  Is Green the right guy?

And an even bigger question.  If we change the coach what risk are we really taking?  That is the real question.

The worst case scenario is that the wheels fall off completely.

At least with Green, we are playing decently against Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. All we need is to have 3 teams below us in the standings to make the playoffs.

That's why we shouldn't make a coaching change unless the wheels are already coming off. After 2-5 start, we were on the verge. Had we lost the series against the Sens followed up with losing to WPG and losing against to MTL today, I think JB has to consider a coaching change. 

I don't see a coaching change this season. Maybe in the off season? We don't re-sign Green if we fail to make the playoffs.

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Love Benning and hia drafting and even some of his trades but his UFA signings has been downright brutal plus the overpayments. From Eriksson to Myers, all his FA signing has been bad. There is no way any team would give 3 million to Roussel and Beagle, or 6 million to Myers. I just hope he doesnt trade a Podkolzin or Tryamkin for a quick fix.

I agree. All the current available guys like Dunn should not be traded for either of those guys. I hear STL only wants a pick. 

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Myers is market value. LE is too based on his past performance. The others I would agree are over payments. 

17 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

And how do you coach that? 

I think other coaches would just tell them to flick it against the glass or the board to clear the puck out of the zone. But all our players throw it to the middle of the ice and it gets picked off easily or they try to be fancy and carry it out of the zone which causes turnovers. Problem is that the whole team thinks they can play like Hughes

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why is everyone willing to give Benning a pass on his tenure so far? He's been hear almost 7 years. He's drafted well. His trades have been 50/50 but I think he gets a fail in free agency. The cap hell we are in right now is his fault and everyone keeps saying wait a couple of years and everything will even itself out. It will come off the book. Its wasted time for Pettersson and Hughes here. It's his fault we have to wait a couple of years and people just want to sweep that away likes it's no big deal. It's a big reason we couldn't bring anyone back or add anyone now. He shouldn't be let off so easy.

Really? Their play this year would like to disagree.

• Cheers 1

We NEED a shutout tomorrow night. It seems as if Montreal gets one on the board, 5 more are to follow in each game. It’s hard to have faith when you get pumped for 23 goals in 4 games against the same team and you only muster up 11 goals in response.

I feel as a fan I need the security of a shutout tomorrow to keep faith in this season, with 4 more games against a team that is obliterating us, 1/6 of our season could be entirely donated to the MTL Win column, while we pick up the L’s left behind

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Really? Their play this year would like to disagree.

I meant that when people say oh money will be coming off the books in a couple of years, don't worry it seems as if they are ok with wasting a couple of their years. It's hard having that much wasted money sitting there and they can't improve the team because of it.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I meant that when people say oh money will be coming off the books in a couple of years don't worry it seems as if they are ok with wasting a couple of their years. It's hard having that much wasted money sitting there and they can't improve the team because of it.

Those two need to learn to play responsibly if this team is even going to have a sniff at the cup and it will probably take Petey 2 years to get it through his head that he needs to play like Selke Petey all the time like last playoffs and for Hughes to learn to defend properly. The real window is 2 or 3 years away from now anyways. 

If there is one player we should all feel bad for it is Horvat. We are literally wasting his prime years right now. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

3 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

The good news is that this team isn't nearly as bad as they showed tonight. Bad news is they were embarrassing tonight. Hopefully use it to come out guns blazing tomorrow. 

Truth is somewhere inbetween.

We aren't as good as beating that sad sack Sens team; but we aren't as bad as the thumping we received by the Habs tonight.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why is everyone willing to give Benning a pass on his tenure so far? He's been hear almost 7 years. He's drafted well. His trades have been 50/50 but I think he gets a fail in free agency. The cap hell we are in right now is his fault and everyone keeps saying wait a couple of years and everything will even itself out. It will come off the book. Its wasted time for Pettersson and Hughes here. It's his fault we have to wait a couple of years and people just want to sweep that away likes it's no big deal. It's a big reason we couldn't bring anyone back or add anyone now. He shouldn't be let off so easy.

Well, I'm a Benning fan but  ....

....if his long term rebuild/tool plan is now suddenly projected to take another 2 years to bear fruit, then that will have taken him very nearly 10 years to complete.

Not sure either Fransesco or us fans would have appreciated that time-line when he was hired.

So, he's behind his own schedule by some 2 years, getting a mulligan for this covid year.

Benning has to stay, but there's no gimme that his plan will even work, given the missing character shown by his present hires.

Remember though .... that when the gm, coaching and staff get fired (or get offered better work),  the only Canucks' loyalty left behind, will be you, me and the owner.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Those two need to learn to play responsibly if this team is even going to have a sniff at the cup and it will probably take Petey 2 years to get it through his head that he needs to play like Selke Petey all the time like last playoffs and for Hughes to learn to defend properly. The real window is 2 or 3 years away from now anyways. 

So you think Benning should get two more years to improve this team? That's almost ten years. Craziness!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Truth is somewhere inbetween.

We aren't as good as beating that sad sack Sens team; but we aren't as bad as the thumping we received by the Habs tonight.

I just want consistent effort for most of the game. The hot and cold thing is driving me nuts.

Edited by Dirtman
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Please I hope we get some D that can actually play D, no more offensive D men.

True dat.

Look at Montreals defense.   Big, talented dmen that play smart both ends.  Look at what Tampa and St Louis won with.  You cant ice a group of one dimensional dmen and expect to win.  Vancouver is screwed unless Benning makes a few bold moves for the backend.