The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

My theory:

Team last year was a tight group and got each other's back. JB's off season decisions really ticked off the core guys. I understand he can't bring everyone back, but who expected him to bring non pending UFAs back? They go in the seaon without the fire, drive or determination they got last year (which imo the biggest factor for last season's team), and they are not playing for one another.

On top of COVID and most players are playing away from their families (most players choose to have their wife/kids to stay in their home city rather than being with them at their NHL city), it takes a toll. Players may playwell in such difficult circumstances if they are a group that believe in management's moves and plays for one another. Right now, this isn't the case with the team.

Also, part of them probably come to the rink and see some of these overpaid teammates sitting on the Taxi Squad and they probably think who could've been here instead of them them, atleast that thought would slip into some of their minds. Right now, the team is clearly not play for one another and there is no pride in their game.

They are all playing like they have to go there and play because it is their job. There is no fire, no confidence and no pride in the team. Imo, the biggest impact this off season with players leaving isn't on the ice it is off the ice.

Benning &^@#ed up big time with those albatross signings; a bigger &^@# up to me is he spent all off-season going after OEL and give his pending UFAs the cold treatment. He then decides to throw money and chase for Tyson Barrie (who didn't even sign with us) when Stecher and Toffoli are still available. To me this off-season is an absolute failure on Benning's part.

If this keeps up (which I dont see why it wouldn't), he will be fired at the end of the season. Not sure if it is for the better, but I just hope whoever runs the team doesn't decide to tear this core apart, rather keep this core intact and find a way to help them navigate through this cap hell.

Heard the same report from 1040 - management could had done a better job communicating the situation with the team.   Management needs to come clean with these players (if this rumour or report is true) cause this can be toxic in the locker room.   Hopefully, this gets resolved otherwise this can linger and it will be a loooong shorseason...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not at all saying that Benning is not partly responsible for this. I'm talking about the disproportionate amount of blame placed on Benning, while Green has floundered. The mistakes were covered up by Tanev and Markstrom. It's obvious that being outshot is a Green brand of hockey.

Yeah.  Green is getting exposed.   
He can only work with what he is given.  

I’m sure we can agree that they have both blown it, and this is looking to be a loooong season. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Marky Tanev Toffoli were all huge part of leadership group.. respected veterans on the team. 

They seem to have lost confidence.

Plus have 3 or 4 rookies.. chatfield OJ Hogz Mac all rookies..

New vets on the team who haven't gelled yet..

Bruce Budreau said it can take an entire season for new additions to completely gell with new team and city

Toffoli was barely here, and barely made an impact in getting us to the playoffs. And then started playoffs injured.

The other 2 I agree with, but I've seen the same thing about Toffoli parroted ad nauseum around here, and it needs to stop. If this group is so fragile that a free agent pickup that played 10 regular games sends them into shell shock, then they need to hire a team psychiatrist to help them man the &^@# up.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m thinking I can just skip this whole year and be fine with it.  Lol.  

I can stick with a losing team, as long as the heart and effort is there.   
This team just plain sucks, and doesn’t seem to care. 

It's def hard to watch, no question