The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Seems to have a knack for being in front of the net. Something we would need. I'm not sure if he'll ever get back to 27 goals, but if he can be a consistent 20 goal man in exchange for Virtanen, that would be a huge win already. He seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ, and seems to be driven too. Things that Virtanen doesn't seem to have (at the moment). 

Same age. Why would Boston trade DeBrusk though? Wouldn't he be a part of their up and coming core? 

Only reason I could think of is to save cap as he's 3.675M.

Debrusk is also gonna have a higher qualifying offer than Jake(3.06) at 4.41M. 

So far he's had a slow start, 1 assist in 6 games and he's injured right now.

I doubt the Bruins would do a 1 for 1 still.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Canucks would definitely have to add for sure. 

But between the two players - is Virtanen and DeBrusk similar? How is DeBrusk's hockey IQ compared to Virtanen's? Speed? Shot? etc? 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think they should try some creative tactics with Virtanen.

Ie - I don't recall which game it was - a few games ago - but someone hit him in the first shift and he proceeded to crank a couple guys in succession.

I think I'd have a designated Virtanen agitator.

Someone on the team that is authorized to just slap him, squirt water on him, backhand him, poke him with a stick, whatever - just basically agitate him on a regular basis....

regards,  G.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Canucks would definitely have to add for sure. 

But between the two players - is Virtanen and DeBrusk similar? How is DeBrusk's hockey IQ compared to Virtanen's? Speed? Shot? etc? 

Ask HF boards 

CDC ain't the place. There are people here who thought Raymond Ballard and 1st could get us something decent back in the day smh .

CDC has it time and place and pros and con's but for fair value and learning other teams HF board is decent. Avoid reddit and YouTube comment and ofc twitter

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

haha - right on cue - the @Provost desperation move - the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy - and cop out.  Er - "I speak for the hockey professional".

Great stuff.

Next time show your work.

That is the difference between rational people and you.

When most people see the global consensus of scientists and astronauts telling you the earth is round... they can accept that and incorporate it as input for their worldview.

You, on the other hand, stomp your feet and frantically wave around your crayons and 2D picture you drew of the Earth and insist that the earth is flat and everyone else is wrong and “stoopid”.

I listened to many different analyses, watched the player, and came to the judgement I did on him.

Go use your favourite tactic when you start raging about being made to look silly... go spend hours searching for old posts that I made where I was wrong about something.

You won’t find it about this though.  I was the lone voice in the wilderness saying that Jake’s hot stretch in the middle of last season was almost certainly a statistical blip and we should trade him before he reverts to form.

You ranted and raved about him having turned a corner.  He of course reverted back to form and has been contributing at a 4th line rate level since (at best).... and it isn’t because the coaches want to keep one of their best players from being successful.

Grow up.  You aren’t smarter than everyone else.  Anyone can look and see you are consistently wrong about pretty much everything.  After insulting and name calling other posters who turn out to be righ... when they call you out about being wrong, you disappear and go silent until your next bad take where you repeat the process.

(PS.  My “work” is that all the mini stats you have shown for his few games this season are nonsense.  Anyone with even a passing knowledge of probability and stats would tell you that once you break down into the stratified little numbers with a sample size so tiny... none of them can be considered statistically reliable at all.  They tell you literally nothing because they can swing widely as a result of a single non representative event.  Stats are good over time and to detect trends.  On any given game or short stretch of games a player can be amazing or terrible.  Jake’s play overall has been terrible for a long time, and a few cherry picked stats out of context saying he is really in the middle of the pack of forwards don’t have any validity in the real world and to anyone who took 1st year stats in school)

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 2

I remember few years back when jake destroyed someone with a good check, of course he got a penalty.... after that he didn’t do much of anything.   Think the coach maybe told him to stop being a cowboy or something.    He’s never done anything like that again. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Provost said:

That is the difference between rational people and you.

When most people see the global consensus of scientists

Your playbook is  predictable.

Can't address the data - so you spin off on irrelvent misdirection....global warming, George Soros, Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce, Lester Bangs, Birthday party, cheesecake, flat earth, "analyticz" and the end of the world,  with of course, the necessary amount of triggered to fuel your rant/projection.

No hockey talk.  Surprise.  Predictably no analysis from the 'analyst', not one metric - literally nothing of substance.

Edited by oldnews

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Blah blah blah... insult to deflect attention from my failings... blah blah blah... random irrelevant point... blah blah blah... ignoring the fact I have just been proven wrong... blah blah

Sample size... go Google it and then have someone explain it to you.

Edited by Provost

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Virtanen is just not the type of player we want on this team. He was a different player before the draft and our scouting team fell for it. They should have gotten Ehlers but we cant go back in time unfortunately.

that shoulda drafted so and so is a universal truth every team has to deal with regarding multiple draft picks - it's just not a valid point in the end - it's pointless.

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

I remember few years back when jake destroyed someone with a good check, of course he got a penalty.... after that he didn’t do much of anything.   Think the coach maybe told him to stop being a cowboy or something.    He’s never done anything like that again. 

Tone it down doesn't mean that he stops hitting. Don't be reckless with your hits, but don't take it out of your game completely. I don't understand how he could stop hitting. 

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that shoulda drafted so and so is a universal truth every team has to deal with regarding multiple draft picks - it's just not a valid point in the end - it's pointless.

Yeah, I get it. Hindsight is 20/20, right? 

Can't do anything about it right now, that's true. It is what it is at the moment. But as fans, we can look back. It's both fun and frustrating at the same time. LOL 

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

why would DeBrusk's qualifying offer be 4.41?

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

why would DeBrusk's qualifying offer be 4.41?

Last salary is 4.85M but qualifying offers are now capped at 120% of the AAV for new contracts.

Virtanen’s qualifying offer is 3M because that’s his last base and it’s less than 120% of his AAV.  

23 hours ago, Rush17 said:

this is his rookie season highlight package. he hasn't matched these numbers but envision him playing with Petey.

looks like a natural fit and he would get a ton of tip chances lol. similar speed to boeser too which could be good. 

why would he be a 'natural fit?' with EP.

you're proposing is to displace Miller fo him?

Miller was a 59.2% faceoff guy (ie one of the best in the league).  DeBrusk is a winger (who took 26 draws and won 9).

Miller lead the team in hits last year.   DeBrusk was 19th on the Bruins.  Miller had 38 blocked shots, DeBrusk 9.

Miller lead the Canucks in takeaways with 52.  DeBrusk was 10th on the Bruins (26).

(Not to mention that Miller has produced better than DeBrusk at each stage of his career...)

Pettersson needs a guy that can win faceoffs (he himself was 41.8%) - or all those ozone starts are for not -  he needs a guy that can handle the down low (center role) battles in the defensive zone - a guy that excels in the hard areas (Miller forechecks with a chip on his shoulder, he goes to the front of the net, etc) - and he's a highly skilled guy in addition to that power game.

EP has precisely the right linemate at this stage - whereas DeBrusk aint that.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Last salary is 4.85M but qualifying offers are now capped at 120% of the AAV for new contracts.

Virtanen’s qualifying offer is 3M because that’s his last base and it’s less than 120% of his AAV.  

Capped at - but over 1million a team only needs to match/offer the existing - is that not correct?

Could the Canucks not qualify Virtanen at 2.55 if they elected to?

Edited by oldnews