The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 11, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN360, SNW, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

This will probably be the quietest trade deadline in NHL history with covid.

Nobody wants our overpaid scraps with a 2 week quarantine attached 

I think that the Canadian teams will look at the Canucks and Sens players.

All it takes is for one team, like the Habs, to be interested and then another, like the Flames, to not want to see the Habs improved come playoff time and try to get the upgrades over them.

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Well, what about Habs and Leafs? Cant make up excuses when you sign Myers and Eriksson for a combined 12 million dollars long term deals. 

Both those teams are coming off years and years of mediocrity. Montreal looks good for sure as do the Leafs. They have had more than their share of poorly negotiated contracts.

Clarkson

Lupul

Phaneuf

on and on...

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I don’t believe how we’re playing will ever equal success.

I don’t see how continuing with Green at this point makes any sense.

There’s no way they re-sign him at this point, so why keep stringing him along?

No  He's done.   We all knew he was an Interim coach and his time is up after this year - IF he even last that long.

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, I was hoping to see Zach eat up some of Baileys minutes - 3:04 minutes of ice tonight, it must be frustrating for a young player to sit two periods and not know why he is sitting; I like his energy when he is on the ice...

Meanwhile other forwards have to play more minutes and looked exhausted because of it.

Green just can’t handle players minutes properly.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, ey40 said:

I keep thinking that at this point the right things to do is to fire Benning. I think the players are more disgusting playing for him more than Green.

Hire a new GM, and let him decide what to do with Green.

Players should not be disgusted by Benning. They shouldnt dictate who stays who goes. However yes both Benning and Green should be fired today no excuses no delay.

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

I remember after finally getting shafted on the OEL thing that we hadn't really accomplished anything and had lost so many players.

Schmidt is definitely a good add but I think if we are all truthful and unbiased we really knew this years' team was never going to be as good without Marky making 35-40 point blank saves a night and losing our best pure all around defender.

Playoff bubble was a classic case of getting into the show and catching fire and staying relatively healthy with stellar goaltending but we went into the pandemic on a terrible skid. Not even sure points-wise if we actually made the playoffs.

We still have a ways to. 
We need Petey at 195 lbs.

We need Huggy to keep doing his thing and give him more forwards that can bury the puck.

It's tough man... every team in this league is going for it. Only so many elite players to go around.

Once Hoglander arrived & we brought in Hamonic, I became optimistic. Our 2 big holes I saw we're filled. No doubt both players were a step back from Toffoli/Tanev - but we barely had Toff at all last year & I thought adding Schmidt (along with Hamonic) could make up for Tanman. Up until that point I was unsure.

Its a good point that we were very borderline to even make it last year, things weren't trending well even with Marky.

The hope was the team was closer to the bubble Canucks rather than the team we saw struggle down the stretch, but not the case.

Our stars aren't carrying our team like they have in the past. That's a big part of our struggles. No matter who you are your best players have to perform in this league. Time for a new GM to try and surround the core IMO. Like Gillis did with the last core. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

First off, I said 'real shot' - as in a legit chance to atleast compete for a playoff spot - not be the best team in the division. 

Second;

- Ferland, Leivo were complete non-factors last year.

- Toffoli barely played for us in the regular season or playoffs. And Hoglander's finally filled the top 6 hole we've had for years.

- Fantenberg & Stecher are replaceable with Hamonic, Juolevi, & improved play from Benn.

- I thought Schmidt/Hamonic could make up for losing Tanev, especially Schmidt being a potential big boost.

- And Markstrom was a loss, but I thought our goaltenders could hold the fort behind, on paper, a potentially improved defense.

I don't think any of these thoughts were far out there at the beginning of the season. 

Not sure what undervaluing the players lost really accomplishes here when you can look at the standing and see our team 3rd last in the league. Remember we were a playoff team last year, amd this year we might end up being last in the league if we can only beat the sens. Fantenberg and Stecher would have been playing instead of chatfield and Benn. Where is Hamonic? Schmidt was a good trade but he hasnt really shown us anything and hasnt even replaced Tanev.

We needed to replace Baumgartner last year and it’s only gotten worse this year. Newell Brown should be added to that list. I have been a backer of Green until now but if he can’t see that changes need to be made then he should go as well. This team has zero identity, no toughness, and doesn’t stand up for each other. Very few coaching staffs survive a stretch like this and it’s just about time for the panic button.

83F74408-6B97-4572-8B78-DD54DAE44F22.gif

• Like 2