The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, GoCanucks16 said:

I enjoyed the Juolevi hit on Tkachuk as much as anyone, but I think he should've played the puck. Calgary got a prime chance on that play because Olli was out of position after delivering the blow.

Wonder who had the puck when Ollie level Tkachuk?

iirc it was Tkachuk.

• Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Probably not, but it may breed team discipline.

Edler takes more undisciplined penalties than anyone else on the team. The ONE TIME a penalty would've been worth it, and it would've fired up the team. Yes, they won, but not because of Edler's restraint.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Just wonder what it would do to the team's attitude and confidence to have seen Edler answer the call and throw down with thepuke.

Edler is a leader on the team.  Being bitch slapped like that does  not breed team toughness. 

A fight at the end of a game is a suspension and Tkachuk knows that. More importantly Edler knows it. Tkachuk wanted Edler to drop his gloves and punch him so he can turtle and let Edler miss the rest of the “series”

Great vet restraint by Edler. Now he can come out and crush more Flames next game 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

A fight at the end of a game is a suspension and Tkachuk knows that. More importantly Edler knows it. Tkachuk wanted Edler to drop his gloves and punch him so he can turtle and let Edler miss the rest of the “series”

Great vet restraint by Edler. Now he can come out and crush more Flames next game 

That and zero fighting majors in Edler’s career, if you're expecting him to fight now that’s kinda on you at this point. Smart vet move by Eddie 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Has anybody started to notice lately, that Matt Tkachuk does his best work after the 3rd period ?.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Esler could have engaged/responded  by "wrestling" back and defending himself without fear of a suspension.  He just stood there like a punching bag.  Sorry but that behaviour, disciplined or not, does impact the way players feel about themselves and their team.  

Ahh, like this mid-season vibe, which seems to now be a recurring, yr-on-yr pattern.

Leave the Missus in her deep sleep, & amble down for a coffee. Think about our great game, turn on CDC, to see a number of our prospects are lighting it up, all over the world(like Jeff Lynne once sang). We've been adding impressive, young talent with the efficiency of a Toyota assembly line. It's been such a relentless, indomitable beast, that JB could afford to take a yr off at the draft table. He prob still uncovered a few gems, but the world would turn on if he didn't.

You keep churning out young, just-in-time, ELC talent like we have, & all stumbles & sins will quickly melt away. I can't wait to see what this team looks like by about 2023. Also, think about all the lessons they'll have learned by then. Our (still) youth in their early-to-mid-20's? They'll have learned from vets who could settle in here for a number of seasons. I like that JB hasn't been flipping/changing things, like young adults finding easy hook-ups in modern times. There's something to be said for dancin' with the one that brung ya. For sticking with commitments, until you break through to a higher level.

Well..I'm rambling, & it's time for java #2...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So to me, Myers was our best d-man tonight even before he scored the winning goal.  He looked like a clear cut top pairing d-man for the night...  don't want to debate the rest of the season, but tonight it was pretty obvious. 

Ageeed, and I thought this was Schmidt's best defensive game, Ole was very strong, Eddy was himself and Quinn looked good. The only Dman who I didn't like was Benn, outlet passes into winger's skates, high and wide shots, losing defensive coverage on their goal. I'd like to see him sit for Chatfield. But Chats with Eddy, Quinn with Myers and Schmidt and Ole together, then you have just one Dman playing their wrong side.

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Has anybody started to notice lately, that Matt Tkachuk does his best work after the 3rd period ?.

Sittin' on the can in the men's room?

With that, can someone with skills ( @Gassy Jack?) photoshop a toilet for Matthew here?  Looks a bit constipated.

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Overpaying players to come here is nothing new, the Canadian dollar and idiot fans who are clueless has a lot to do with it, especially when their clueless about the extra's a player bring and I'll use your example, Myers, he's worth every penny because of his size but most people forget about that until we need that size but usually too stupid to think about it before beaking off...  same with Tryamkin..  and do I expect any of this to change anytime soon ?  uhhhh nope! 

I don't think it's fair to blame the fans about being clueless. Many wouldn't say it if the concern has any merit. But it's not like the hockey analysts from TSN and Sportsnet also expressed same concerns with Myers contract as well. 

8 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Esler could have engaged/responded  by "wrestling" back and defending himself without fear of a suspension.  He just stood there like a punching bag.  Sorry but that behaviour, disciplined or not, does impact the way players feel about themselves and their team.  

If Edler was a rookie that would have more merit imo but 15 years 0 fighting majors team knows he is tough without the fighting component in his game. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I saw it as “thats the best you have?”

it was laughable actually 

just made Tkachuk look like a goof 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't know Dib. I could be wrong but, Edler seemed to handle it in stride. That probably frustrated Tkapuke. I mean, what was Tkapuke able to accomplish, acting up like that?

Nothing as far as I could see. Did Edler hide.....no, he just did not react, like Tkapuke wanted him too. It will not change Edler's game, it never has. IMO, he has a lot of respect through out the league, for the way he plays.

IMO, Tkapuke isn't big enough to bother Edler. Now if that was Lucic, it would have been a different matter and Edler would have tried to tie up Lucic more, but IMO, Tkapuke does not have it, and that is through the league by now. IMO, Edler is not bothered one bit.

Not at all like the way the Sedin's were man handled......

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

OJ quietly having solid rookie season, hogs no. 6 in rookie scoring, ahead of stutzle, 2 points back of lead, was unlucky not to get point last night. Another good JB/nucks draft pick with podz, rathbone, Lind poised to play NHL games this year/next year. Then there are guys like Lockwood, woo, jasek, Gadjo, Aidan mcdonut, truscott, who still have an outside chance at an nhl career, short or long.

JB era picks in the NHL/played nhl games (over 6 drafts- a little early to include this year, especially as we did not pick 'til 3rd round)

Boess

EP

Huggy

Virtanen

McCann

Tryamkin

Dipietro

Forsling

Gaudette

OJ

Hogz

so we are realistically looking at 13-14 players from his first 6 drafts to make the nhl, not bad

add freezer to that group- has played 8 NHL games that's 12 nhlers in 6 drafts with podz, rathbone, Lind, poised to play , woo, focht, jasek, gadjo,