The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The whole point of this thread was to raise awareness that the playoffs are not gonna happen and the discussion you speak of is irrelevant. You know you can easily respond in a better way when you have different opinions. You often have this sanctimonious and arrogant way about you. It rubs people the wrong way and you often get into these battles.  It would be nice if you were a bit more respectful to others. Take it for what it is 

If you have a problem with the thread branching off to what you call irrelevent - again - read the thread before mini-modding or pretending to come in here as some kind of self-righteous referee.

Here are the original references to Virtanen, Beagle, etc - @Provost loves to provoke this stuff and then cry 'ad hominem'.   Try reading the thread honestly, or don't bother.

On 2/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, Provost said:

I haven’t had this many people disagree with me (mostly the same ones) since I suggested in the middle of last season that Virtanen was likely having a statistical “blip”

On 2/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, Provost said:

Add Virtanen to your “all-star” foundational player team of Gudbranson, Sutter, and Beagle that you obsess over as being amazing... don’t let objective reality or your vast personal history of being repeatedly wrong about virtually everything get in your way...

Take it for what it is.  You parachuted in without reading the thread - call me "arrogant" all you want -  pretend that it doesn't go both ways - rubbing each other the wrong way - there's tons of it in all directions on these boards - and ironically as you drop the "arrogant", you're rubbing elbows with the guy that believes his opinion is universal and speaks for all the experts...so 'take it for what it is'.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Why do this earlier rather than at the deadline?  Because we would be selling before most teams decide to, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY if we do it in early March we can ditch enough cap space that we can actually suddenly absorb a good deal of the Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses and not push them into next season... even with Ferland's LTIR  That wouldn't be the case if we waited until the trade deadline as most of the contracts would have been paid.  That benefit will be worth WAY more to our team moving forward than a 2-4% chance at making the playoffs.  50% of the season left means that by moving just Sutter, Pearson, and Benn... you can gain up to $5 million dollars in cap savings which puts us under the ceiling.  If you can subsequently move any of Roussel, Beagle, Hamonic, or Baertschi you are paying most of those ELC bonuses which are going to cost us depth again moving forward beyond this season.

... but you know... hey ignore all that and go with what makes you feel better so we can make bad decisions and affect the future of the team.

I agree with you in principal but I’m not sure this is easy to do anymore. With cap concerns these days and also covid restrictions I’m not sure there will be the ability to offload assets.

2 wins in the last 10 games is disgraceful and a direct result of poor coaching decisions/tactics and T.G.'s unwillingness to make some serious line changes and bench some of the underperforming player like Lazy Jake, Roussel and Erikkson and try something new (FOR A CHANGE) and J.B. as well, for letting key assets get away from us FOR NOTHING not to mention letting Tofolli walk out on us!!!   Thankfully T.G. will be gone at the end of this season along with our so called "special teams coaching staff.  

In the meantime, I guess we'll have to keep hearing the same old, same old from Travis after every loss.......

Image result for funny images of sinking ships

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

I agree with you in principal but I’m not sure this is easy to do anymore. With cap concerns these days and also covid restrictions I’m not sure there will be the ability to offload assets.

Not sure if it will be possible .. I do think that if we are going to have a playoffs, teams will want to load up.

We “should” be able to leverage the border issues to our advantage with more buyers than sellers on this side.

The returns don’t have to be dramatic to still be victories.  If we got a 3rd, 4th, and 5th for Pearson, Sutter, and Benn respectively, that would represent a big win.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I've always wondered why, given how similar they are to one another, @oldnewsand @Provost are constantly arguing, and then it hit me...

SmartSelect_20210220-193932_Chrome.jpg

Well played - the kind of raised game you might 'expect' from an absurdist!

And a good reset / cue to 'return to the mean.' :ph34r:

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

Currently we are better than two teams in the league!

All is well... clearly.

I have followed the Canucks long enough to know that the league is going to change the lottery odds this year and increase the chances of the top 3 getting the top picks (including Seattle who has bought that right with $650 million) and reducing our chance sitting at 4th-6th worst significantly.

7F08CAB6-A327-44A6-A80B-89576A63A609.png

Edited by Provost
  • Sad 1

If we ignore the 3 games against Ottawa, this team is 5-12-1 against the teams they are trying to catch, with a -25 goal differential on only 18 games.

They’re not “mathematically” out of it yet, but I’m certainly not holding my breath.

• Upvote 4

There's no next generational talent this upcoming draft.  But it's a solid top 10.  So we should be fine whatever position we pick.  If it looks like we are out of the playoffs,  trade Pearson and Sutter.  I'm sure they still have value to a contending team.

Next year's draft has a potential franchise forward in Shane Wright.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

There's no next generational talent this upcoming draft.  But it's a solid top 10.  So we should be fine whatever position we pick.  If it looks like we are out of the playoffs,  trade Pearson and Sutter.  I'm sure they still have value to a contending team.

add Roussel, Benn, Hamonic (if he returns).

Personally I wouldn't wait for if/when they're out of the playoffs - if possible, I'd deal one or two of them up front (ideally Roussel, and/or Pearson).  And would have done so before the season started - again, if possible (but realistically there were so few deals this offseason...)  The only guy I'd consider re-upping would be a short term discounted Sutter.

The return might be slightly less than a 'rental' (I don't care if it's a pick or a prospect) - but the cap gains would be more worthwhile/compensation for any lesser return.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

2 wins in the last 10 games is disgraceful and a direct result of poor coaching decisions/tactics and T.G.'s unwillingness to make some serious line changes and bench some of the underperforming player like Lazy Jake, Roussel and Erikkson and try something new (FOR A CHANGE) and J.B. as well, for letting key assets get away from us FOR NOTHING not to mention letting Tofolli walk out on us!!!   Thankfully T.G. will be gone at the end of this season along with our so called "special teams coaching staff.  

In the meantime, I guess we'll have to keep hearing the same old, same old from Travis after every loss.......

Toffoli didn't walk out on us. JB walked him out the door pretty much lol. If he was willing to sign for 4mil with Montreal.. we either A didn't even bother negotiating with toffoli or B had 0 intention of re signing toffoli considering his so call priority was markstrom tanev and toffoli and both were gone within the first couple hrs of the free agency. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Personally I wouldn't wait for if/when they're out of the playoffs - if possible, I'd deal one or two of them up front (ideally Roussel, and/or Pearson).  And would have done so before the season started - again, if possible (but realistically there were so few deals this offseason...)  The only guy I'd consider re-upping would be a short term discounted Sutter.

The return might be slightly less than a 'rental' (I don't care if it's a pick or a prospect) - but the cap gains would be more worthwhile/compensation for any lesser return.

If they are selling, best do it soon.

As you say cap gains, or specifically, the ability to rid ourselves of bonus payments next season are worth some short term discomfort this year.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Imagine the hate you'd get from Benning Bros if in years past you suggested this is where the Canucks would be at in 2021.  Our rebuild was supposed to be ahead of Toronto's by now no?  Lol.

were you content with President's trophies?  that's the underlying logic of your post.

rething timelines aside - which I'm not going to bother to rehash all of that here with you here (as if they were on the same...) except to post a Leafs draft timeline....

it sounds like you judge teams by their regular seasons - or once again, BeLeaf in first month Stanley Cup Champions.

Leafs

2008 = 5th overall

2009 = 7th overall

2010 = 2nd overall

2012 = 5th overall

2014 = 8th overall

2015 = 4th overall

2016 = 1st overall

2009 = Kadri / Barrie-Kerfoot (assets that were supposed to put them over the top last year).

For my money = when you pick in the top 10 in 7 of 9 years, pretending that the "rebuild" began in the last 3 of those years - or when the Spamaplan won a lottery - is 'generous' to say the least.

If you propose to remove Reilly (in 2012) as if he was pre-'rebuild' - the rebuild Leafs have one borderline 6th man, Travis Dermott drafted on their blueline since 2012.  (Dermott - 58.6% ozone starts, 46.8% corsi, 1 pts in 15 games....)

Edited by oldnews

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Interesting. The Canucks imo could use a forward such as Matty Berniers or a d man with a right hand shot like Brandt Clarke.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Hey, credit where credit is due, Travis dressed Zack mGoo

Then there was a fight, and mGoo wins the first fight by a Canuck since Rick Rypien back in 2010.

then the announcer says, that will probably be the end of that....

then  the BeagleDog, mGoo, Virtyboy line have a good offensive shift

mGoo/ Virtyboy get fed 4 more minutes of ice time the rest of the way

Atta way Travis  you showed them

the Peg put 25 hits, did anyone count how many were on Hoglander? 10? 12?...

meanwhile good old Gaudy gets as many shifts as Virty and mGoo combined

that is good coaching

oh ya and they only have one PP unit!!!! woot

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

I would not re-up Sutter, no thanks. Bringing the same crew for next season will not make us improve the team at all. They should trade Sutter, Roussell, Gaudette and Virtanen. Demote Pearson to 3rd line and put Podkolzin on 2nd line. Bring in 4 new players to change our boat anchor of bottom 6. I also would not re-up Edler either, he is just too slow with the puck and we already have one in Myers. Benning shpuld target a 2 way #1 D man and a top 6 forward on top of signing Tryamkin, Podkolzin and giving Rathbone a chance.

• Thanks 1