The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Höglander so good? And can he win some hardware?

Rate this topic

ImConfused

Nils' secret weapon  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

The guy gets better every single game. Incredible to watch. And we are truly blessed to see 3 straight calder finalists, and now it's looking like 4. 

My prediction he finishes somewhere in the top 3 in scoring, and top 3 in Calder voting. 

Will we keep this Calder nomination/win streak going with Podkolzin next year?

Trending that way, I wonder who will be the dark horse for the fifth - 2021 draft pick or ?

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

5th best 'odds' at present is not bad considering he's actually been far more impressive than his production to date suggests.

Well, the greater exposure to eastern Canadian media this season could be beneficial to his vote totals, but with minimal exposure in the US markets suggests to me that the winner will be from down there, or possibly from an eastern Canadian team.

regards,  G.

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Tied for 2nd in rookie scorring , and by far the best overall game of the bunch IMO. One point away from being tied for first. Calder watch is officially on . 

Slightly misleading since there are 6 players tied for 1st and 2nd in rookie scoring. 

13 hours ago, Provost said:

I don't think he will necessarily win the Calder, but I think he is a really good chance to be a finalist... which is crazy.

I don't believe any team in modern history has had 4 consecutive Calder finalists... I think when I last looked there were a couple of teams that had 3... 

I originally thought he had a good chance to make the roster (mostly for cap reasons honestly.. but I also suggested it would be smart because it gives him a year of experience before Podkolzin comes, and a Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin lines seems to have the right mix on paper to complement each other... and it isn't likely they would want two rookies on the same line), but I ended up buying into the fact he would need another year of prep.

Is PIT one of them?  CHI maybe?   Pretty awesome that we've managed to get this much talent .... with still more to come.   OJ could end up becoming a valuable player too, looks like a seasoned vet - not a rookie, i'm sure some of that has to do with his age though.   So far worth the wait.   Have to admit i was somewhat skeptical about both these guys (Hoglander less so given how high he ranked as a prospect going into the season).   Hoglander could work his way into the first PP unit, if he manages that then for sure he could make a serious run at rookie scoring leader.

At this point for sure he's a contender for a calder finalist.   Podz is ranked around 10, Hogs high 20's ...  decent chance it could go five in a row - if that happens, and OJ reaches his full potential (Vlasic), contention is coming our way even with some screw ups.   BB this is playing his best hockey by far this year.    He's a much more compete player.   EP is fine - so many posts ... the future is blazing bright at this point. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

If only he had Virtanen's size... or Virtanen has Hoglander's dedication...

11 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Too bad we couldn't just combine them into one super-player eh

Stan Smyl's effort, with Alex Mogilny's talent= best Canuck ever.

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

My money is on Nils winning the Calder.

I don't see a legit threat outside of kaprizov, Suter and that goalie.

I argue Nils has the advantage vs kaprizov as he is younger.

Suter will depend on how well Chicago does.

The goalie is the only one that gives me concern, we all saw binnington vs petey race.

(Binnington sucks) but was a close race.

Screenshot_20210218-151715_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ty Smith is a defenseman, but has 1 less point in half the games, and is a +6. If he keeps up this pace he’ll win the Calder.

If Nils is a finalist, Canucks will hold the record for the most consecutive Calder finalists with 4. Right now they share the record (3) with the Rangers. (But for Canucks to do it in a 31-team league is far more impressive, not to mention none of the Rangers actually won the Calder.)

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

On 2/18/2021 at 5:02 PM, xereau said:

Already is better.

...talk to me when he has played 11 seasons, had multiple hat tricks and scored over 20 goals in a season. I like him but you're being way premature saying he's already better. Don't get me wrong I really like him but he's no HB...yet

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Moe Knows said:

...talk to me when he has played 11 seasons, had multiple hat tricks and scored over 20 goals in a season. I like him but you're being way premature saying he's already better. Don't get me wrong I really like him but he's no HB...yet

Hogs has the same tenacity and work ethic as Hansen but with a much higher skill level.

If you remember Hansen as a younger player, you will recall that one of his nicknames was "Stone Hands", not the type of nickname Hogs is ever likely to get because his skill level is clearly far superior to Badger's.

Obviously it remains to be seen if Hogs will have as good/long a career as Hansen, but there is no question that Hogs is a better player.

On February 19, 2021 at 2:04 AM, ImConfused said:

Too bad we couldn't just combine them into one super-player eh

So you would have blazing straight line speed, thunderous hitting, a great shot, agility, elite vision and hockey IQ, immensely high skill level and dogged determination, all combined in one bizarre package with 4 arms, 4 legs and 410 pounds of scariness. Yikes!

• Upvote 1

Right now the answer to why Hoglander seems so good seems to be the company he hangs out with.

He is like the skinniest kid at fat camp or the tallest dwarf.

The rest of the roster has been mostly inconsistent to downright bad.... so standing out in that crowd isn’t that hard.  Last year he wouldn’t look like such an anomaly with his consistent level of effort... we had that with half our roster.  That has gone off the rails this year for whatever reason or variety of reasons).

If Hoglander can somehow squeeze his way onto our top line and replace Miller, then he's got a good shot at it, and right now he deserves it. He's playing better physically and defensively than Miller so I say put him up there and see what happens. 3 very skilled players might really do some damage and he could have amazing chemistry with Petey to give him some life.

Otherwise I see him scoring at a 15-20 goal, 40 point pace which probably isn't going to win a Calder this year.