The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The poultryfication of Jake Virtanen

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Jake “the Duck” Virtanen?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

You know, I thought poultry and fowl were different things. Had to google it, turns out ducks are water fowl, chickens etc are land fowl, and they're all poultry so long as their being raised for meat or eggs. Huh, good stuff. 10/10 thread

I googled it first to, just to make sure.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If that happens it would be much more of an indictment of Green’s coaching and indirectly of Benning for standing by TG for so long.

or maybe it would be because Jake finally got his head out of his posterior and decided to take the game seriously....

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Looks like there’s a chance Jake may become a Duck but not too impressed with what we’d get for him, I’d rather keep him and give him one more go under new coaching.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/02/anaheim-vancouver-discussing-jake-virtanen-trade.html

Yeah. I mean, if the offer is that low, then why not just hold onto Virtanen. 

Benning working himself out of the league

11 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Would anyone consider a Virtanen and Jack Rathbone trade to Anaheim for Trevor Zegras?

Would Anaheim?

Not sure that Anaheim would. Pretty intriguing trade and I think I would reluctantly bite on it. Zegras is going to be really good NHLer but at the same time I’m pretty pumped about Rathbone.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Would anyone consider a Virtanen and Jack Rathbone trade to Anaheim for Trevor Zegras?

Would Anaheim?

Future top 2 center, doubt they'd do that. Virtanen is a former 6th overall pick whose value is now a 4th rounder, Zegras has done nothing to devalue his 9th overall pick status.

Think we'd have to give up more quality like Virtanen + Rathbone/Chatfield + 2nd rounder for Zegras and even then I wouldn't if I were Anaheim.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Provost said:

This forum certainly will!

There are people still sour that we “lost” Michael Grabner and Frankie Corrado 

Grabner was a first round pick and ended up having an amazing season under NYI, though his commitment issues were notable.

The trade is still one of the worst trades in Canuck history. We traded two first round picks for a guy we had to buyout. What a joke.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I could see Jake finding success elsewhere, but I also think it'd take Jake getting out of his hometown comfort zone to experience the necessary wake up call. Away from his friends, family, haunts. I imagine he'd love Cali, most hockey players seem to. He'd be just another guy down there. 

But yeah, the coaches he's played under don't exactly inspire confidence. 

Umm... Not sure I agree with that. For his faults, Green has shown a remarkable ability to develop young talent (3 Calder finalists in 3 years doesn’t just happen, and none even a top-3 pick).

That said, some players just don’t work under some coaches. And even those that do need a fresh voice once in a while. It’s looking like the majority of the team does. So while I agree it’s time to fire the coach(es), I don’t think there was a problem with what Green had accomplished with them up to this season.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good trade, I'd do it. Try and convert him back to the center though (think he's played wing his whole NHL career). 

Will shakeup the locker room a bit too but that's what we need right now, the status quo is killing us.

Heinen never played center in the NHL. He has taken a total of 51 faceoffs in 246 career games.

4 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Would Anaheim?

LOL - no.

I like Heinen, he’s been a pretty solid middle-6 guy. 

That said, he’s an impending RFA making $2.8M. Anaheim is trying to trade him because they realize that in this market he’s not going to be worth qualifying. Other teams will likely feel the same. Maybe Benning thinks he’ll sign for less with his hometown team? But if that’s the case, why not just wait until free agency, and take a shot at signing him for free?

A poop for poop trade is really all you’re going to get for JV. We aren’t going to be able to move him for picks and cap relief. I’ve said this in the past, he lost his shot with his shoulder surgery. If anyone who watched him in his draft year would remember how different his game looked when he was a shooter. His speed and shot combined is what made him a top 10 pick. The year after he was drafted was stagnant in the WHL, he actually had more assists than goals. He isn’t a playmaker. He is a shooter that scores on the rush. He will most likely never regain that. 

• Like 1

Our whole bottom 6 forwards are playing like trash. Why trade Jake? Is he the only one with value? Not to mention our top 6 forwards aren’t so $&!# hot either. And why are we trading for a forward when we need a couple defensman? Why not think outside the box and throw Millers name out there and see if we can get a top 4 dman somehow?

• Cheers 1