The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter as head coach

Rate this topic

Unbelievable. It just comes to show you how razor thin the gap is with the competition. The firing doesn't have anything to do with tonight's win for them, obviously. This was long in the making.

Edited by Dazzle

This actually makes a lot of sense. Calgary was supposed to be a top team with their signings. I was legit saying to my friend tonight that Calgary just needs a coaching change. Too much talent for them to be doing as they have been. We on the other hand are in more of a less panic mode where our decisions can be made in the off season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

2004:  Sutter hired mid-season, makes the cup
2012:  Sutter hired mid-season, makes the cup
2021:  Sutter hired mid-season. makes the cup???

Well, you know how the story goes.  Sir Treliving does it again...

Definition of a genius!

Obviously they have some history with the Suters but how Gallant hasn't gone to one of our rivals remains a mystery. Montreal probably want a French speaker and I worry that Gallant has a deal already with Seattle that no one's talking about, otherwise surely he'd be gone (unless he didn't want to coach in Montreal or Calgary).

I doubt the Canucks are going to fire Green mid-season, it's probably going to be an end of season thing more than anything else and honestly I worry that if we make a competitive playoff run and miss out by a few points here or there, Green will probably stay.

Gallant could do some wonders with this roster which is my main concern, if we could make the coaching change right as the season ends it would give him a full training camp and off-season to get the boys playing well under a new system which is really what they need.

• Cheers 3

This will be interesting.  They are going to try go full lockdown defense and win games 2-1 or 1-0.  I think the flames just aren’t good enough.  Still think 4th place in North will be a dog fight with any of the current bottom 4 winning the turtle race.  Best case scenario jets and leafs stay hot and beat up the competition.

Sutter long history with Calgary, Lucic played really well under Sutter

It will be interesting to see how that group responds to his coaching style, could really go one of two ways. He's definitely a change of scenery. Very shocked they signed him to a 3-year deal. I get the sense he could wake up the team short-term but risky to lock him up before seeing how he fit IMO.

They gotta bring back Stephane Yelle tho.

Looks like owners hired a coach. 
A Local hick and good buddies with ownership.

Want to keep your job brad here’s the new head coach.

Jim B and green should be joining ward at the bottom feeder coaching/managing seminars. 
brad t will be along shortly to.